The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

1 minute ago, Supremo said:

If I'm working nights and need something to play in the background, sure. But I'm a hardcore loser who loves it regardless and finds more enjoyment out of it than almost anyone, both following it and discussing it. If you're good at writing TV that hooks viewers you should be doing better than only keeping up the habits of your most loyal, dedicated, frankly tragic followers.

It's genius, is this so shit that you turn it off or is it sowing the seeds for Becky to do something awesome in the lead up to Mania and you run the risk of missing some great storytelling?  Find out on Monday Night RAW!!

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Not that good though. They're breaking all-time low rating records quite regularly, from what I understand.

Haven't they just announced they made record revenue in 2018, even when taking into account inflation?

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

It's genius, is this so shit that you turn it off or is it sowing the seeds for Becky to do something awesome in the lead up to Mania and you run the risk of missing some great storytelling?  Find out on Monday Night RAW!!

It's only genius if people tune in though, when more people than ever are tuning out.

I saw a lot of that on Twitter. Especially from other wrestlers. Brushing criticism for the show aside as WWE, "working," the audience and any complaints as marks just throwing a hissy fit because their favourites aren't winning or whatever. 

It's something that must be super comforting if you're in the business. You can do no wrong. Any misstep that justifiably gets highlighted and you just pretend you're using it to get heat. Don't get me wrong, there are a tonne of cases where that's true. You see it all the time online. But not always. Sometimes the criticism is deserved, but why take it on board or try and learn when you can just act like the meta heel instead? It's an inherent danger due to the unique nature of the business that can be as much a blessing as a curse. 

18 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

You don't seem to, though.

Really? I'd say the discussions I've had on here since getting back into pro-wrestling suggests I enjoy it more than most. Even the worst shows I'm usually the first to see positives and shows like Smackown, PPVs and Takeovers I almost universally praise. And even when something is bad, I still enjoy chatting about it in some way or another. At its absolute worst, I still fucking love it.

Edited by Supremo

I'm not sure how long you've been back into it, but you certainly don't seem to have enjoyed it much recently.

They're currently making more money than they've ever made, by writing the shows to just fill airtime and troll people who hate them but won't stop watching. I'm hoping that in the run-up to Mania, Vince will do a rehash of the "my friend Mark" promo from Hunter's last great heel run, only with a doddery old man who falls over his own sentences.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Haven't they just announced they made record revenue in 2018, even when taking into account inflation?

Sorry for the double post. Couldn't edit and add another quote on mobile. Yeah, they announced the highest earning ever. They've done a cracking job positioning themselves to where they're essentially bulletproof. Still fun to discuss the ins and outs of the TV product though, surely? It'd be crap on here if WWE making loads of money meant we could only praise them going forward. Especially with Baron Corbin still featured so prominently.

@King Pitcos I've been back into it for about a year. Never loved it more. Working nights means I get to binge on it and get paid to watch a tonne of it live. If you think I'm not enjoying it you've either misinterpreted or I've not made myself clear enough. If anything, I've almost felt bad this past week or so clogging this thread up wanking over how great Becky is on Twitter.

Even discussing last night's show though, the worst in months where my favourite angle and character took a huge nosedive, I still highlighted the hits I enjoyed. Seth's promo was one of his very best and The Revival and Gable are dynamite together. It's a genuine shame Jason Jordan isn't around to take Bobby Roode's place and do that boss hot tag he used to do.

Speaking of Seth, this fan art he retweeted is super cool.

A6233068-BB63-4484-B3A5-E59C4206F11D.thumb.jpeg.a030f71ca90069a458fd32f4457764fa.jpeg

If they refrain from referencing Roman's cancer, this feud could be great. Provided Vince doesn't bottle it on the night, of course.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Supremo said:

Sorry for the double post. Couldn't edit and add another quote on mobile. Yeah, they announced the highest earning ever. They've done a cracking job positioning themselves to where they're essentially bulletproof. Still fun to discuss the ins and outs of the TV product though, surely? It'd be crap on here if WWE making loads of money meant we could only praise them going forward. Especially with Baron Corbin still featured so prominently.

Oh absolutely, but that doesn't detract from the fact that they're doing extremely well.

• Paid Members
On 1/30/2019 at 10:41 PM, Supremo said:

Fit Finlay gesturing Becky to enter The Rumble to a humongous pop, Becky winning The Rumble and that Becky/Ronda promo from Raw. I've watched all three so many times in the last day or two that it's borderline embarrassing. It felt like Becky had really cooled off in the last month or so. I was worried they'd never be able to recapture the magic they had the night her face exploded on Raw. I couldn't be more wrong. She feels even hotter now than she did when she invaded. This is the best. The type of thing that makes me love pro wrestling so much.

image.png.24a3f105e35e490e7ad22f3523910431.png

When it's good it's FUCKING GREAT.

Just to dispell the myth that I'm not, "enjoying it recently." And to highlight how quickly things can change. That Becky from two weeks ago would knock out anyone who apologised so freely. 

1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

They bottled out of their plans for Roman Reigns winning the belt on two different WrestleManias. Terrible example.

You say that, but Roman Reigns was always the plan to be in the main event of Wrestlemania, despite on both occasions there being other's (Bryan 2015, Braun 2018) who were far more over with the fans.

There was no way this company was going to do a main event women's match at Wrestlemania without Charlotte involved, the fact some think it's a swerve and she won't be in the match at all is just laughable.

11 hours ago, Supremo said:

@King Pitcos I've been back into it for about a year. Never loved it more. Working nights means I get to binge on it and get paid to watch a tonne of it live. If you think I'm not enjoying it you've either misinterpreted or I've not made myself clear enough. If anything, I've almost felt bad this past week or so clogging this thread up wanking over how great Becky is on Twitter.

Yeah, you're the most positive on here. I wish I had as much positivity about wrestling, like when I was younger.

• Paid Members
On 2/12/2019 at 2:43 PM, The King of Old School said:

There was no way this company was going to do a main event women's match at Wrestlemania without Charlotte involved, the fact some think it's a swerve and she won't be in the match at all is just laughable.

We'll learn a lot about how much they want to listen to what the fans want and how rigidly they stick to "the plan." A triple threat would be a massive pussy out job, Becky going over Charlotte to REPLACE her in the Ronda match in spite of Vinces wishes would be a good if unnecessary detour.

• Awards Moderator
16 minutes ago, air_raid said:

We'll learn a lot about how much they want to listen to what the fans want and how rigidly they stick to "the plan." A triple threat would be a massive pussy out job, Becky going over Charlotte to REPLACE her in the Ronda match in spite of Vinces wishes would be a good if unnecessary detour.

How long has their commitment to The Plans been so unwavering? It’s seemed so much more obvious in recent years. Is it the case that in the past they listened to fan reactions and adapted plans accordingly, or was it just that they were better able to engineer it so it was The Plan that fans wanted to see?

On 2/12/2019 at 2:43 PM, The King of Old School said:

You say that, but Roman Reigns was always the plan to be in the main event of Wrestlemania, despite on both occasions there being other's (Bryan 2015, Braun 2018) who were far more over with the fans.

With the TV taping attendees who can't watch wrestling without complaining about who is being pushed and buried, yes. The "don't tell me who to cheer, Vince, you're not my real dad" types are rarely an indicator of who is really "over with the fans" - if they were, Daniel Bryan in 2013-14 would've drawn more money than he did, and Cena would've drawn fuck all after about 2006. Pretty much nobody other than Cena consistently, New Day and AJ Styles for a bit (and Dean Ambrose on one of the Black Friday sales) has been near Roman Reigns in merchandise sales over the last five years, and he's been hated by people in Bullet Club shirts that whole time. Using Roman Reigns in 2015 and 2018 is a very silly example of WWE sticking to a plan, unless you're saying the plan all along was for him to lose on both of those nights. And if that's the case, then Meltzer was fed the wrong plans all along, and we're just ruining our own enjoyment of the genre by constantly getting upset at any hint of long-term booking.