The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

There's a shit load of filler on Raw, even on an episode like this that had quite a lot of storyline development. 

Still, The main event was better than the six man at the Australia show by quite some distance, and the handling of The Shield and Braun's group's dissension has been very well done. 

Kurt Angle as conquistador was bloody great. 

The DX promo did absolutely nothing for me. If you had told me 8 years ago that Shawn Michaels would make another comeback eventually and that I wouldn't have a bit of interest I'd have told you that you were a gobshite. However that's the case. Maybe it's because it's for the Saudi show that I just feel it isn't important, the way I would have if he had returned bon San Antonio at the Rumble that time or at a 'Mania show. 

Lashley's turn was very well done, and hopefully leads to Owen's as a face as well. They both look like they will be better suited to the heel/face side of the fence that it looks like they are going to fall on now.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Its amazing how unimportant HBK coming out of retirement seems. It should have been a huge build. Instead its for a match with Taker and bloody Kane

Shortcuts and nostalgia will be fine for a bloke in his 50s. He's not coming back to win the Rumble then go 30 minutes keeping up with AJ at Mania.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Supremo said:

Cracking angle with Kurt and Corbin. Such simple, fun booking. The type of thing that only works in pro-wrestling. Same about Michael Cole’s awful, “IT’S TRUE!” line when Kurt unmasked though. These scripted lines he’s fed whenever a big moment happens always feels complete forced and inauthentic. 

Its the commentary that puts me off the product more than anything. I only saw the DX promo, but the reaction of both Cole and Renee was horribly forced. "I've got goosebumps!", no you haven't Michael. Just horrible.

• Paid Members

Talking of the commentary, have to be completely honest and say Renee just isn’t doing it for me. Everything she says feels so forced and you can tell she’s trying to become ingrained in the conversation, but Cole/Graves already have most things covered so she doesn’t have a ton of wiggle room. But it might improve in time, and anything’s better than fucking Coach at least. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

The commentary is poor the whole way accross the board. None of the options they have went with in the third seat have been great, and unfortunately Renee isn't finding a groove yet either. She's not as nonsensical as Coach or Booker but she is also less entertaining.

It's still better than NXT though. Ranallo and McGuinness are turgid. I have no idea where their good rep comes from. It's not just the WWE commentary style either when it comes to Mauro, as he annoys me on Bellator shows just as much.

Shortcuts and nostalgia will be fine for a bloke in his 50s. He's not coming back to win the Rumble then go 30 minutes keeping up with AJ at Mania

HBK coming out of retirement should still be a massive thing. You could build a tremendous storyline around it. Even the tag situation you could follow THE ROCK/CENA formula with the tag match at Survivor Series to get the ring rust off.

I don't know, I just feel that to throw it away like this is odd, especially when Shawn has turned down the chance of both Bryan and AJ in the past.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

I don't know, I just feel that to throw it away like this is odd, especially when Shawn has turned down the chance of both Bryan and AJ in the past.

There's a reason.

22 hours ago, air_raid said:

Shawn's been quite candid that the company wanted him to wrestle AJ at last year's Rumble but he didn't want to do it because he felt like it was too short notice and he didn't want to short change fans with a performance that would be less than their expectations.

Rocky got his build because he was going to work company's top dog in the focal point at Mania and athletically assumed he could still do his type of match and keep up with Cena in Cena's type of match. Shawn at 53 after 8 years away is a bit of a different animal to Dwayne doing action films for his day job.

In storyline terms to be honest I think it ONLY makes sense for it to be Taker.

Raw was AWESOME. One of the best all year and i say that as someone that has mostly enjoyed it since the post Mania reshuffle, warts and all.

The Shield man. Even after the horrendous singles pushes of each guy, they're fucking magic. They really hit on something teaming them three together. Same with the New Day. I'd never believed that New Day would still be one of the most popular acts on the roster when they formed all that time ago yet here we are. Two legendary acts we're getting to see in real time. In fact, has there been a New Day/Shield feud? Or match even? That feels like something that has to happen, surely. I am interested to see what Ambrose can do as a solo heel act, FCW Dean would be wicked but I kinda don't ever want the Shield to split.

Loved Rollins "we're the bad guys" line. Babyfaces are hardly ever cool in WWE, that's another thing that makes them stand out. Also, it's true, Shield have been total heels on this run and it all works, somehow.

I liked the follow up to the Brie/Morgan situation. Liv seemed legit unhinged for a moment and Brie was. . .Brie. The turn has turned Nikki/Rousey into something I'm actually interested in. Rousey is unbelievable for someone relatively green. Her comebacks during the beat down, the intensity, selling, facials. She's on a different level. Just hope Riot doesn't get lost in the shuffle now.

Where the hell is Da Boss at nowadays? 

Jobber battle royal was super, perfectly executed, funny and old school as fuck. The Angle reveal was a genuine surprise. And fuck it, I'm a Corbin fan, always have been. That's what you call a heel. Shades of Vickie Guerrero right there.

The return of runty managers that can be bumped about is another in the plus book. Hopefully Owens isn't out too long, he's still has massive value despite all the shit thrown at him. I think it could all come together for him as a face. 

The commentary is just white noise me at this point. Its inoffensive at least. Cole is nowhere near as awful as he used to be, and I actually enjoy Corey at certain moments. He gets the occasional laugh out of me at least.

HHH/HBK, Trish/Bliss and Gable/Roode/Acension isn't for me but even those bits served a purpose and went somewhere. Now onto Smackdown.

Also, the Bailey team has made Finn Balor interesting for the first time in his life. A babyface that comes across as a stand up likeable bloke, imagine that!

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Raw was AWESOME. One of the best all year and i say that as someone that has mostly enjoyed it since the post Mania reshuffle, warts and all.

The Shield man. Even after the horrendous singles pushes of each guy, they're fucking magic. They really hit on something teaming them three together. Same with the New Day. I'd never believed that New Day would still be one of the most popular acts on the roster when they formed all that time ago yet here we are. Two legendary acts we're getting to see in real time. In fact, has there been a New Day/Shield feud? Or match even? That feels like something that has to happen, surely. I am interested to see what Ambrose can do as a solo heel act, FCW Dean would be wicked but I kinda don't ever want the Shield to split.

We got Shield vs New Day as the opener at Survivor Series last year. It was... not what you’d hope. Disappointing on a scale they wouldn’t top until the main event of the same show.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

That Shield/New day match wasn't that bad really, but for me those ridiculous half Shield half Raw shirts they wore completely ruined it, So distracting.

Christ knows who thought that was a good idea.

Everyone sacking off or supplementing their usual gear via a shirt for their show is terrible, especially when it's people at loggerheads with their GM or in other ways rebellious characters. Instead of looking "united for a cause" they all look like they're at a corporate teambuilding exercise in Trefloyne.