The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

I don’t think the majority of people did always know/think Michaels would be back - maybe for the first couple of years but it’s been 8 now, I genuinely thought he was going to be the one to stick to the retirement stipulation and I think he always wanted to be that guy as well.

Saudi money talks I guess but it’s still an odd one, I mean he’s hardly short of a few bob you’d imagine even without the Saudi money, still I’m looking forward to him returning, he looks to have kept in decent shape for a few more matches.

Kurt Angle meanwhile absolutely shouldn’t be wrestling anymore, he looked knackered last night and he hardly did anything!

• Paid Members

Shawn's been quite candid that the company wanted him to wrestle AJ at last year's Rumble but he didn't want to do it because he felt like it was too short notice and he didn't want to short change fans with a performance that would be less than their expectations. I have no qualms with Saudi money prompting WWE to get him back for a couple of shortcut matches with the rest of nostalgia club.

Diminishing returns? This is the first time he's come back from saying "I'm done" for definite. The back was always implied as "he's done" but you never heard him admit it. The instances of "he may never wrestle again" were reasonably short term dismissed as "this is an angle" and "he's milking it" by 13/14 year old raid. This is only the second big comeback that counts for anything.

I thought I would be more excited after hearing the news that Michaels is out of retirement but following the broken down attempt from all in Australia, I would rather they didn't. Nostalgia gets the best of me sometimes but in this instance, I'd rather they pack it in. 

I also thought I would always want an Austin return but if these big money events have taught me it's that Austin is right not to return.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, air_raid said:

Shawn's been quite candid that the company wanted him to wrestle AJ at last year's Rumble but he didn't want to do it because he felt like it was too short notice and he didn't want to short change fans with a performance that would be less than their expectations. I have no qualms with Saudi money prompting WWE to get him back for a couple of shortcut matches with the rest of nostalgia club.

Diminishing returns? This is the first time he's come back from saying "I'm done" for definite. The back was always implied as "he's done" but you never heard him admit it. The instances of "he may never wrestle again" were reasonably short term dismissed as "this is an angle" and "he's milking it" by 13/14 year old raid. This is only the second big comeback that counts for anything.

Yeah, I'd say it's close to diminishing returns. People are going to be around in their droves for his comeback tag and his eventual comeback singles, but if he carries on doing this regularly on a Triple H schedule, eventually people aren't going to care as much as the first time he back in 2002.

I think that's what missing here too; the pure magic of his 2002 comeback. You know he's just in this recent return for the money so it's hard for me to invest, despite him being my favourite wrestler.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I think that's what missing here too; the pure magic of his 2002 comeback. 

Well, yeah, nothing could live up to that.

• Paid Members

Raw is so weird right now. The vast majority of the “flagship show” is spent promoting shows (either Network specials in far-off lands or Mixed Match Challenge) that have a distinctly ‘non-canon’ feel.

• Paid Members

This was a relatively great show. It was as if the Raw writers had suddenly caught an episode of Smackdown and realised they had to get their act together. Almost every segment was entertaining and actually pushed a character or storyline forward. Nothing was particularly incredible, but standards are so low now that something as simple as Elias taking the piss out of Cena’s hair in a daft song is a hundred times better that their usual effort where nothing happens.

DX’s promo was OK. However, I feel like they missed out not having Shawn calling back to those endless, “One More Match,” chants that’ve followed him for years. I imagine it would’ve been a much bigger pop if he’d said something like, “finally, I agree with the fans....I’m coming back for ONE MORE MATCH!”

I wonder if Shawn is going to wrestle in that cowboy hat. He’s clearly not ready to reveal his bonce on TV yet. 

Fanastic double turn with Lashley and Owens. Much better casting for both guys. Kevin has huge potential as a babyface, whereas Lashley is a disastrous good guy. Dead eyes, creepy smile, weird voice, he’s far more suited to being a silent meathead with an annoying dickhead heel manager. Lio Rush is great. I hope it becomes a regular thing where he does live commentary during Lashley’s matches. 

I don’t think it’ll be a particular good match, but the Nikki Bella turn was executed well. Again, I don’t want Crash TV but I also don’t want endless matches where nothing else happens. This is a happy medium.

Brie nearly landed on her head taking a hip toss. They need to stop putting her in the ring. Ruby Riott on the other hand might be my favourite woman on the roster not called Becky Lynch. Super underrated, she should get a singles feud with Ronda at some point.

Liv Morgan with pink hair though. Wow.

Bayley and Finn are good together. They should do a love angle with them. Have Finn take her virginity or something. 

Cracking angle with Kurt and Corbin. Such simple, fun booking. The type of thing that only works in pro-wrestling. Same about Michael Cole’s awful, “IT’S TRUE!” line when Kurt unmasked though. These scripted lines he’s fed whenever a big moment happens always feels complete forced and inauthentic. 

Even the stuff with AOP, The Ascension, Gable and Roode felt like it was naturally building up a triple threat tag match, presumably for the number one contender position. It’s such a rarity that so little felt like filler.

The Shield are the only guys who can make those selfie promos cool. I hope Ambrose keeps doing them when he eventually turns. 

Fun main event with the intriguing Ambrose storyline continuing and Drew getting the win, looking the fucking business in the process. I really hope they go the whole way with Drew. He’s the best NXT graduate in years.

Two thumbs up. 

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Can't remember the last time Raw was this newsworthy right across the board. This is the first time since they've started doing them on the regular that they've actually made a good full use of the three hour timeslot. Most of my takes from it are slight changes in personal taste rather than criticism as such, but fantastic that they seemed determined to make it a newsworthy show with lots of things to get people talking. For those who question why people keep moaning about WWE and yet continue watching...this is basically why. Because WWE is fully capable of putting out this stuff on a regular basis, and when it does, how much fun is it? 

DX segment - I thought they'd tease us a little more with Shawn still having to be goaded out of retirement by Undertaker, segments where Triple H begs him to consider it, fans chanting one more match etc. A good way to kick things off, just not quite with the wow factor I was expecting. And that new DX shirt is hideous. I understand why they've officially confirmed it so soon though - they need to shift the tickets and get the promotional bandwagon rolling for it. Which is fine, I just think it lacks a bit of creative spark. But fuck it, it's Shawn Michaels. I'm down with it. 

Shield stuff - Once again, they've dangled the carrot a bit for next week, which is great. This is starting to get really compelling now. If they bin this off to have the three of them go their seperate ways again building up to Crown Jewel, I'll be mortified. 

Double Turn - Like the HBK retirement thing, I'm surprised this hasn't played out over a few weeks - they've literally just switched them both without seemingly much of an inkling of it happening. Owens as a babyface is hard to imagine at the moment because he's been such a fantastic heel since he arrived in the company, but if anyone can make it work, he can. Selling the knee, he sold the fucking PIN when Lashley was hooking the leg. Brilliant! The absolute first thing they need to do next week is give Owens a mic. He needs to just vent, about how he's sick of getting attacked by WWE's giants like Strowman and Lashley, thrown off cages, having his knees battered against ring posts, etc. They're in Philly next week which will be a great crowd for him to talk in front of - they'll go nuts for him. 

As for Lashley - as an act with Rush it makes perfect sense and I think it'll work well from a character standpoint, however I still don't think he's all that in the ring. If anything, it's going to be even worse watching his matches now if he spends most of it leathering the babyfaces. As long as his matches are short, this will work. If they're long, it'll be dreadful. He's still sloppy as fuck. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

The crowd were surprisingly uninterested in the Trish Stratus appearance.  She looks very much the worse for the botox and plastic surgery she's had done as well, especially when she's stood next to the evergreen Mickie James.  It also makes it hard for her to show emotion when most of her face is frozen in place.

It was a good Raw though, as you've all said for being eventful.  I personally thought the double turn was really well done and I hope they don't reset Owens back to heel again next week.  He's been so poorly booked recently I think the crowd is ready to be sympathetic to him, and it's something new anyway.

Kurt Angle rolling about like a luchadore - and you all said he shouldn't wrestle any more!  For shame ;)

• Paid Members

I wonder what cased them to make Trish and Lita do a tag match instead. Maybe one of them realised they can’t do a proper singles match anymore? Or perhaps it was just a timing tissue when they realised how difficult it’s going to be to feature every woman on the the roster.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I wonder what cased them to make Trish and Lita do a tag match instead. Maybe one of them realised they can’t do a proper singles match anymore? Or perhaps it was just a timing tissue when they realised how difficult it’s going to be to feature every woman on the the roster.

Ok this is basing it on the Rumble appearances alone, but Lita didn't look great. In fairness, she was never a very good worker. Trish looked decent though, I'm sure she'll be able to go still.

18 minutes ago, Supremo said:

It's reported that the tag was always the plan, but the singles match with Trish and Bliss was advertised early as singles to spark interest and put bums in seats. But naughty if true.

Isn't Alexa injured?

She was pulled from the Mixed Match Challenge due to Injury but I can't remember if she has had any matches since then.

Perhaps with her injury preventing her being able to do much and with Trish inevitable rustiness it was changed to a Tag to allow Bliss to remain on the card but have a lighter workload.

Edited by MVP RULZ