Greatest player ever to play for . . .

IANdrewDiceClay

• Moderators

David Seaman for me.

I played in goal for the legendary Abbey Youth, and as such Seaman was a player to look up to. I was a similar height to him at the time as well, 6'3 or so around the age of 15. The real joy for me was getting a "Manager's Award" circa 94/95 and Seaman, who lived in town (back when footie players lived in < 1 million pound homes), came along to the night to hand out the awards. I got a solid handshake and a "you're a big lad" comment from Seaman. My Mum who was there also developed quite a crush on ol' spunky seaman which has resulted in a hilarious photo of her clinging on to him.

• Paid Members
David Seaman for me.

I played in goal for the legendary Abbey Youth, and as such Seaman was a player to look up to. I was a similar height to him at the time as well, 6'3 or so around the age of 15. The real joy for me was getting a "Manager's Award" circa 94/95 and Seaman, who lived in town (back when footie players lived in < 1 million pound homes), came along to the night to hand out the awards. I got a solid handshake and a "you're a big lad" comment from Seaman. My Mum who was there also developed quite a crush on ol' spunky seaman which has resulted in a hilarious photo of her clinging on to him.

I forgot he lived in the Abbey. So did Trevor Morley, as my nan used to tell me every time we'd visit her.

Got to be Henry for me.

Now of course at the time I really disliked him, Arsenal were our biggest rivals, I hated Arsenal, Henry was their best player so naturally I hated him. I tried to convince myself i hated him because he was arrogant and that the media kissed his arse so much because they were biased and that bloody va va voom advert. All bollocks of course. I hated him because he was so brilliant, so effortlessly brilliant and because I was a biased Utd fan.

Henry was of course very good in the big games but I think along with Ronaldo, Henry was the best I've seen at destroying the lesser clubs. He'd score the opening goal against stubborn defensive teams so much it was great\frustrating. He was just ruthlessly dismissive against them and that can be very important. It's all well and good beating Utd and Chelsea but you have t get the job done against the smaller sides and Henry was perfect at just smashing them.

Henry was a player to fear, he'd get on the ball and you knew anything could happen, he could beat 3 or 4 men and slot it in, he could smash it in from 30 yards.

I get the feeling that most Arsenal fans would rate Bergkamp as their greatest over Henry in the way that most Utd fans would rate Cantona over Ronaldo. As a non Arsenal fan it has to be Henry for me.

Now that i think about it I still maintain that Va Va Voom advert was shit.

Archived