Greatest player ever to play for . . .

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

My favourite player for certain is Cliff Bastin. I dont see how you could begin to argue that. 178 goals book ended by a world war as well? I've just been watching all the footage available of him and he has me convinced. I remember my 84 year old mates telling me about ... just kidding. Vein attempt at humour over now. Exactly the same rules as the other thread, but replace Man United with Arsenal. Who on here can show me the best Arse during your time watching footy?

Its a strange one, because like the contributions in the other thread by non-United supports, you wouldnt actually think you could think of as many players you liked for another team. Henry was just wonderful. Bergkamp was a heart breaker (always wished he played for United). Robin Van Persie (of course). I always loved Anders Limpar, but more for Everton. It was a toss up between two for me. David Seaman and Tony Adams.

Tony Adams was EVERYTHING wanky journalists and div ex-players who were desperate for a new England Lion back in the mid-2000s, used to say about John Terry. Someone who gave it the lot and was respected by everyone. I remember when Shearer got the captains arm band for England and being mightily pissed off. Adams was the only man for the job in that team. A man who sang the national anthem louder than any supporter. At his best he was incredible. For me and people I was around growing up, Tony Adams was that clich

Probably gunna get slaughterd but Alan Smith or Dennis Bergkamp would be my picks. Both because they were mesmeric. Smith had his career cut short through injury and was Linekeresque in his picking up Yellow Cards etc (1 I think?) Bergkamp, was amazing. I think the goals vs Leicester that got goals of the season, helped cement the man as a legend. There are plenty, plenty more

For me, it's got to be David Danskin. iirc he was a mechanic as well as a fooballer.

Dial Square, Royal or Woolwich Arsenal? I'm afraid my evening on snuff a after watching fights at Bethnal Green under Prize Rules (one off show) has dented my abilities of recall as to which Arsenal side he turned out for. Clarification for this old duffer would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

Has to be Henry for me, he was pure class and as a neutral I really fell in love with that gunners invincible side and the fantastic football they played. Henry had it all, pace, movement, finishing, could score with either foot or his head. He's won the lot too in football, amazing player on his day. I always loved Bergkamp as a kid when foreigners were much more rare in the PL he really stood out as something different. Who can forget the time he was nominated three times for goal of the month on MOTD way back when.

• Paid Members

What a great thread. I'm going to disregard anyone that played for the club before the 90s, because obviously I wasn't around to see the likes of Alex James, Frank McLintock or Liam Brady. Growing up as a kid Ian Wright was my hero, but he's turned into a silly cunt, plus we've had much better players than him since his day.

Thierry Henry is a close second, about as close as you can get, but for me the greatest player to ever wear an Arsenal shirt is this man:

zp_Bergkamp_Dennis_1996Csport_2324.jpg

To you lot, he's known as Dennis Bergkamp (named after Denis Law for all you Unitedphiles out there), but to Arsenal fans he's simply referred to as God. In my opinion, he's still the only world class player we've signed (as in he was world class when he joined us) and without a doubt the most influential signing we've made in my lifetime, and probably since the 1930s.

I remember when he signed, shaking hands with bloody Bruce Rioch, I thought I was dreaming. One of the finest players in the world, someone with such skill, grace and finesse coming to us. It was such a big signing. I remember that summer well, because Sky were really hyping us as 'the team to watch' because we'd signed him and Platt.

Bergkamp was really the catalyst of change at the club, regarding playing style. The way the club plays, which has become synonymous with the club over the past ten years, started with this man. He joined a George Graham side. Boring, direct, unimaginative and downright dirty. Not only did Bergkamp start to help change things, but him being at the club attracted others there also. Apparently the capture of Bergkamp was a condition of Wenger joining a year later, and I highly doubt Overmars would've joined us if his compatriot wasn't there.

Wenger started to build a team that played attractive football, and Bergkamp was pivotal to that. His ability and control was second to none at the club, and he made other players want to play alongside him. Him and Wenger between them attracted all these talented players from Europe to the club and his influence on the pitch was clear- the league titles, a few FA Cups and helping transform Arsenal from the 5th or so best team in the country to a European force.

He was cool as fuck and scored some of the greatest goals the club has ever seen-

and
He had a fantastic partnership with both Henry and Wright, little surprise they are the clubs two top goalscorers eh? Also played well alongside Anelka for the brief time they played together.

You could sit here all day and argue the single-most important reason why Arsenal were so successful from 98-05, in my opinion it's down to this man more than anyone, for his ability, influence and being the big marquee attraction that helped rebuild the club. What a man.

• Paid Members

So many classy players, I was torn between Pires and Henry originally. Their style and fantastic goals really helped the club in the Invincibles era but then I remembered that penalty. Wanted to say Bergkamp but he missed many a vital away game with that phobia. Which is supposedly from an iffy flight with the national team in 94? I don't buy it.

My pick is the consistent and reliable Nigel Winterburn who regularly would run up for many an assist, and vital in the double winning team in the 90s. And 1 red card in all those appearances.

• Paid Members

For the reason of just enjoying watching him play, Bergkamp is my sadly predictable answer. He was the master of one of my favourite skills in football - killing a fast moving, difficult or airborne ball with the first touch and bringing it completely under his own control. Admittedly nothing he ever did playing for the Arsenal excited me quite like his goal against Argentina in Marseille - I think for the balance of quality and context, must be in my top 3 favourite goals ever.

Other than Dennis, I had a curious crush on Ljungberg.

It would be close run between Dennis Bergkamp and Patrick Viera.

Bergakmp was just majestic. A tremendous footballer. I would say him impact was quite similar to Cantona's at United. He just took the side instantly up 10 notches. He also had a bit of bite in his game (slapping Lee Bowyer in the face makes him more of a hero) and his goals were sublime. It always makes me laugh when people doubt it Bergkamp meant the goal against Newcastle. Of course he bloody did. He's Dennis F'n Bergkamp.

Viera is probably second for as well his impact on us as a side. Although the transfer nonsense got in the way a lot of times, PV at the peak of his power was a sight to behold. Also the Captain of the Unbeaten side, and a real leader in the heart of that team.

On a side note, Robert Pires is my favourite player.

Like others I can't look any further than those from my era. So many to choose from too and all have been mentioned. I'm going to have to go with Henry though. He led the front line for the invincibles. Top goal scorer for the club and numerous top scorer in the league. Arrogant to the point it riled up the opposition. A metric fuck ton of classy goals. And, of course, his goal against leads on his return the club which was very emotional. I just adore the guy, one of a kind, and I know he will be back at the club in some capacity in the future.

Dennis Bergkamp.

IMO he was to Arsenal what Cantona was to United, albeit not necessarily on the same level. He was a wonderfully gifted footballer, scored some brilliant goals (as Punkstep quite rightly pointed out the ones v Newcastle and Leicester stand out...along with that goal for Holland v Argentina in the World Cup) and just seemed to give Arsenal that little something extra when he was in the side.

It's Thierry.

Tony Adams runs it close. In this era of having to watch all our best players leave, the idea of having someone like him again is massive. He was Arsenal. Captain for fourteen years! It's ridiculous. It's the kind of loyalty and commitment you'd like from any player, but add in the fact that he was the best centre-back in the country for a massive chunk of those years and it's even better. When my mum forced me to get confirmed as a teenager I tried to take the names "Anthony Adam" so "Tony Adams" would be a part of my name forever. I wasn't allowed because they have to be saint's name and Adam isn't a saint, but for any Arsenal fan Tony certainly is.

But Thierry, oh, Thierry...

What can you say? He was the absolute fulcrum and complete embodiment of the best team we've ever had. He's the club's top goalscorer, he's probably up there with anyone in terms of assists and there was just no-one more genuinely exciting to watch. I love Dennis Bergkamp with all my heart, but the brilliant things he did were more more mercurial - a clever flick or pass, a beautiful piece of control - whereas Thierry had those skills and electric pace. Defenders were afraid of him and rightly so. We've never had a more dangerously talented player and he didn't waste any of it.

Archived