Hardcore Holly

Caiman

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've always had a soft spot for Bob. Good physique, good physicality to his matches, and could do goofy comedy matches with Crash and Molly without compromising his tough guy image.

Responsible for many wrestling fans being introduced to the word "curmudgeonly".

As others have said, not World Champion material, but the type of guy that gives a title like the Intercontinental Championship credibility. Like Val Venis.

• Paid Members

Don't mind giving Bob a listen when his giving his opinions or a story but wouldn't want to see him onscreen for either company. Credit for staying so long with the WWE but most of the time the term "afterthought" would be generous.

Coming back in some form? Can't see it. Don't think that mentality is the way of WWE in the year 2013.

• Paid Members

They've got everyone from Norman Smiley to Scott Armstrong employed in some fashion. Hugh Morrus has a far worse reputation than Holly so I could have seen them bringing him back as a trainer or even for a nostalgia thing in a comedy angle. Not after his book though. He really didn't give a fuck.

Also, Bob Holly saved every penny he ever made. He doesn't need to work, hence the fact he's now retired, save for that one TNA appearance he did as a favour in his jeans because he was in the area. TNA offered him a deal when he was released and he went "fuck that". He isn't looking to get back into it. I bet a load of people just want out of the business, but cant afford it. Good on Bob for saving his money.

I liked his book a lot, but as a wrestler, the only time I've found him interesting was the odd occasion in the attitude era. He had the career he deserved - a long run in the big company, dalliances with the lower titles, and a couple of shots at the major ones.

• Moderators

I really like Bob Holly. I'm not of the Jim Cornette "ONE OF THE BEST EVER, YA HEAR! GONNA BE A BIG STAR ONE DAY!" school of thought, but he was consistent, good work a decent match with most, and that's enough for me. And he had good punches which is 80% of the "Does Butch rate him?" meter. Also I like his brutal honestly which he seems to have from media appearances and his book. It's refreshing to see someone who accepted his shortcomings and speaks so much bloody common sense. It's like a favourite uncle when you go for a pint together.

His entire YouShoot is currently on YouTube and shows him in a fairly humorous light. Seems to have a level head and be proud of what he achieved. Also candid about his pain pill addiction.

Strange phenomenon: on YouTube, Bob's most recent shoots / phone in's promoting his book - his voice seems higher pitched compared to his YouShoot & RF voice. Weird.

• Moderators
Seems like he's more popular now than he was at the time for some reason.

It's easier to appreciate and respect his "no nonsense" guy character and tough guy credibility in retrospect when you don't have to watch his adequate time filling non spectacular matches

I don't think someone has to be world-champion-caliber to be considered "good." There's a place for everyone on the card, and if you're in WWE, you're generally SUPPOSED to be the upper echelon of the business.

That said, I do feel Holly was, just not the upper echelon of WWE. He peaked at mid-card status but the rare teases at world title shots brought a breath of fresh air as he wasn't someone you'd expect would even get a title shot. Worthy of his spot, solid in the ring but nothing amazing.

I wouldn't buy a DVD set as I think you could count his standout moments/angles on one hand, but I'd still describe him as solid talent for filling out the undercard.

Have not read his book yet but plan to, will be nice to hear the perspective of a non-hall-of-famer-level talent. (Other than Chyna, cough cough. Oh wait, she might get inducted...)

Should add that I enjoyed his YouShoot, haven't seen any other shoots. Seemed genuine, straight-forward/no nonsense.

Although never a favourite, I never minded Bob. He generally had good matches and was the right fit for his position on the card.

I do think though, if he'd come along a decade earlier he would have had a good chance of really being a somebody in mid 80s NWA alongside the Horsemen, Magnum TA, Barry Windham and so on, or maybe Bill Watt's Mid-South or even WCCW? His somewhat bland look and southern accent wouldn't have mattered in these groups, which liked guys who could wrestle and seemed properly tough.

As for today, I hate his new tattoos.

As a lot of people have said, I wasn't really the biggest fan of Bob Holly other than during the Attitude Era. Looking back at it though, he was really unlucky with some of the injuries he ended up with over the years. The broken arm he received from Kurt Angle back in 2001 and the broken neck he got from Brock in 2002 really took a toll on his career. He might have done a bit more during his tenure in WWE if it weren't for suffering these.

• Paid Members

Quite the opposite, I'd say. Without a reason to have beef with Kurt or Brock, those two high profile spots wouldn't have happened. His staph infection was probably worse as there was nobody that could be blamed for inflicting that on him.

Archived