The Preston City Wrestling Thread

Good stuff. Full props to Pete Dunne for putting morals above a quick payday. You get the impression this wont be the last of talent giving them a wide berth.

A lot of their fanbase have already voted with their wallets and fucked off and rightly so. Treat the people that are putting money in your pocket and allowing you to do what you do like shit and you're only gonna' get away with it for so long

On his personal Facebook page Fludder is still pimping Pete Dunne as the star of the show and promoting his match, went as far to share it today

In fairness its an automated post about the April 2nd show, it just happened to use the Dunne graphic when the web address was posted.

If Dunne felt this strongly about Fludder's comments, why didn't he withdraw 10 days ago?

Maybe he doesnt live his life on facebook and isnt in the bubble all day and all night and only found out all the facts recently?

He tweeted out that he was donating his pay, from show, when this all happened. Of course he knew what was said by Fludder.

Edited by cmcnish

He must have had a change of heart. He did note people's concerns when he originally stated it. He might've found out later on exactly what was said and decided he wouldn't stand for it. So he might not have been fully aware what it was since by the time he said it, the original comments on Facebook had been deleted.

If Dunne felt this strongly about Fludder's comments, why didn't he withdraw 10 days ago?

Maybe he doesnt live his life on facebook and isnt in the bubble all day and all night and only found out all the facts recently?

He tweeted out that he was donating his pay, from show, when this all happened. Of course he knew what was said by Fludder.

Or he had been told no money was going hence saying he will donate but maybe didn't know the actual statement from Fludder as it had been deleted at that point.

Maybe he has seen a screen shot since?

• Paid Members

There seems to be a suggestion from some online that Dunne's pull-out was more to do with comments Fludder is alleged to have made to some about ATTACK! Wrestling (which is, or at least was, part owned/run by Pete Dunne) and ATTACK!'s own upcoming Kris Travis Memorial event (which is donating proceeds to charity).  Don't know for sure, though.

No idea what kind of decent name replacement they'll be able to sort this close to the show - as previously mentioned there's already a load of PCW's regular British stars missing from the tournament having chosen to take bookings elsewhere for at least some of the weekend.  That said, with PCW's Show One on the Saturday (feat. the first round) being an afternoon show I suppose there's the possibility of someone booked on that night's TNT show over in Liverpool could come in and do a double-shot.

Edited by Big Benny HG

For those keeping track and who can see the bigger picture, Dunne has pulled out of 3 major UK/European promotions shows that he was booked on, at the last minute, in the last month.

WxW, IPW-UK and PCW.

He knew a month ago, after pulling out of the WxW and IPW-UK shows due to the terms of his WWE contract prohibiting him from wrestling on shows being taped for DVD and/or streaming, that he wasn't going to be able to wrestle on the PCW shows. Because it was EXACTLY the same type of situation. He had to have known, unless he's an idiot. And to be as successful as he's been thus far, he's not an idiot.

Regardless of Fludder's comments, which at this point are at best a massive coincidence that gave Dunne the excuse to pull out and babyface himself in the process, and at worst, provided him with the 'out' he needed. Dunne claiming that WWE didn't pull him from PCW is just using semantics as a get out clause. They didn't 'pull' him; Dunne himself signed a contract with WWE in January that doesn't allow him to wrestle on the shows. Blaming 'insensitive comments' sounds a lot better than 'I finally understand the small print in my WWE contract now'. Especially after HHH publicly talked about the whole WWE UK guys contracts in his conference call last month.

PCW are culpable too. They knew Dunne wasn't going to be able to wrestle on these shows, from late January onwards, as soon as the terms of Dunne's WWE contract came out publicly and Dunne had pulled out of WxW and IPW-UK. They were warned by multiple people. And their continuing silence on the matter since Dunne pulled out earlier this week is out of order, as it's basically become false advertising at this point. Almost a carbon copy of the Matt Riddle/PCW/PWG situation last year.

I understand this is all an inconvenient truth to some and that loads hate Fludder and want to jump on the hate bandwagon, but lets not make Dunne a saint in all of this. He could have handled this much better. Both sides are at fault and it's the fans who are being screwed. Dunne's comments about 'Well I'm still wrestling Pentagon Jr the night before in Portsmouth if fans want to see that match' are laughable. Yeah Pete, it's really feasible for the fans who paid money to see you wrestle at the PRESTON shows to do the 10 hour, 546 mile round trip the night before to PORTSMOUTH, on a weeknight, at short notice.     

The list of promotions that WWE allows Dunne to wrestle for in the U.K. is seemingly arbitrary, almost a 'favoured nations' type deal. Dunne is advertised for the Fight Club Pro shows over Easter weekend but I wouldn't be shocked at all if he gets pulled from there too. Maybe WWE won't want him wrestling against 3 top New Japan guys, who knows. 

Edited by ClassicsGuy

• Paid Members

It's an interesting alternative take on the situation Classics, guess my counter question would be, and bear in mind I've no idea whether PCW tape all of their shows for DVD, or would all of the shows with talent the calibre of Dunne booked...

But I question why Dunne would potentially affect future bookings and harm his relationship and with one of the countries most active promotions when there were a hundred other ways to withdraw from the show?  As has been pointed out, he'd already acknowledged the situation once where he pledged to donate his fee, so if he was 'always pulling out' why not then? 

I'm not saying your wrong by any means, but I question the logic of the approach that was taken if you are in the right ball park.