The Preston City Wrestling Thread

2017 is going to be a banner year for some UK promotions while others just get left behind. It seems PCW might fall into the latter - there on demand service isn't as quick uploading the shows as everyone else, the Riddle situation & they just seem to be stuck doing the same old shows where other promotions are trying different things. I can't imagine the shows with Beyond etc were cheap to organise and didn't seem to sell that way either.

I have received a reply over the Kris Travis Bluray set. Hoping to be released very soon, 14 months after it was put up for pre-order. I think I'm justified to think that I was never going to get this order, and I still haven't.

Trying to make me feel sorry for PCW by saying ''We are making no money on this project'' doesn't wash, as I'm aware the proceeds were for Trav, and his family. 

Always been under the impression PCW are all about the money. Obviously any business is about making cash, but PCW have always seemed to be pretty blatant about it. It's one of the reasons I (and a fair few other people I'm aware of) stopped going to their shows. I've no interest in lining the pockets of someone whose only goal/interest is to wring as much money out of the "punters" (PCW's word, showing their disregard for the paying public) as possible, especially when there are so many other better shows around these days.

I still attend, and enjoy, the Preston based PCW shows as I live about 10 minutes from the venue but there is a noticeable decline in attendance recently. I suspect it's a combination of running shows in other cities, a lack of a clear identity (the few storylines they have seem to be dropped and picked back up randomly) and their terrible customer service, such as taking the piss out of paying customers on social media, taking months to send orders out, etc.

Always been under the impression PCW are all about the money. Obviously any business is about making cash, but PCW have always seemed to be pretty blatant about it. It's one of the reasons I (and a fair few other people I'm aware of) stopped going to their shows. I've no interest in lining the pockets of someone whose only goal/interest is to wring as much money out of the "punters" (PCW's word, showing their disregard for the paying public) as possible, especially when there are so many other better shows around these days.

You can add me into this category. PCW became old a long time ago, plenty of better run promotions out there.

• Paid Members

.... and Pentagon Jr and Drago now announced for WCPW in Milton Keynes and Leicester 2 weeks before PCW.

If Pentagon's not going to be at PCW, since it's all gone quiet on that and they are just not answering people's questions when they ask, I'll sack off the Sunday of the weekender and go to PROGRESS instead.  Annoying that this would occur after I've already booked tickets and hotel that I would have no use for.

• Paid Members

Hopefully starting to sound like he's just going to be here a couple of long stretches. Would make sense with Lucha Underground not taping until later in the year now. Maybe this startup Lucha Forever are involved?

• Paid Members

Hopefully starting to sound like he's just going to be here a couple of long stretches. Would make sense with Lucha Underground not taping until later in the year now. Maybe this startup Lucha Forever are involved?

Well, Pentagon's already confirmed for Fight Club PRO in Wolverhampton, Manchester and London over the Friday, Saturday and Sunday of Easter weekend.  Lucha Forever's debut show is in Birmingham the very next day, so I'm assuming it's a pretty strong probability of him being part of that show too.

Just looked at poster, Cabana and MVP are missing too. There's plenty of room for all three without removing anyone and you'd think MVP would be front and centre (WWE name). Pentagon too, just because he just looks the bollocks.

Interesting/important year for PCW I reckon. They seem to be struggling to shift tickets for Liverpool show in February and theres no competition on the same night this time from ROH. New promotions popping up everywhere and you have more shows happening in and around the country, PCW need to up their game a bit, not alienating regulars might be a start.

It's sad that a promotion that once (quite fairly) boasted they "always delivered" now has nobody trusting them. But they have to understand why, and the damage the Riddle thing did. I watched with interest as they stopped mentioning Thatcher for Blackpool/Liverpool just before Christmas before advertising him again a few days ago presumably after hearing back from WWN/EVOLVE. Customer service has always been cringeworthy and that is now biting them on the behind. The CZW/wXw/Beyond weekend were some of the best shows in the UK last year but relatively few people saw them because they'd scared that many people away.

And 2017 with so many promotions and so many shows, its competitive, and people can pick and choose (although I have picked and chosen 2 PCW shows already to be fair, but I haven't committed yet to what I am doing the Kris Travis weekend).

• Paid Members

PCW used to have fans that were willing to drop hundreds of pounds on Dave Rayne custom title belts. As stated above though, they've been left in the dust and I don't think they have much of that hardcore base left (or perhaps they do and they're just all enrolled in their training school).

They spread themselves way too thin in 2016. It's all their own doing.

Edited by Benno

I'm fairly sure PCW aren't worried about losing "hardcore" fans. Bums in seats/cash in wallet seem to be the only things that matter. I've even seen them arguing with one of their disabled regulars on their Facebook wall in the past, who was only asking about parking their chair somewhere different to their usual spot. The attitude was very much "you'll go wherever we tell you. If you're not coming any more, there's plenty of other people who will take your space". They're really not bothered about alienating anyone. It's a real shame their online presence is so obnoxious.

I still attend, and enjoy, the Preston based PCW shows as I live about 10 minutes from the venue but there is a noticeable decline in attendance recently. I suspect it's a combination of running shows in other cities, a lack of a clear identity (the few storylines they have seem to be dropped and picked back up randomly) and their terrible customer service, such as taking the piss out of paying customers on social media, taking months to send orders out, etc.

No doubt they attracted a lot of travelling fans. But that the main risk. It means not as many will bother if it's on their doorstep. I think they were more about getting all the imports in. Probably the last time ever The Steiner Brothers wrestle over here. They had AJ Styles fresh off the TNA boat. Team 3D in their European Indy debut. And the ROH partnership before that went sour. Now it seems for many the novelty of imports had worn off. I think one of the reasons is how typically 90% of them win their match with the local guy and people would prefer to see them win it. And if it's Import v Import. A lot would prefer the local guy. If done right. They're completely justified. 4FW had Pentagon Jr wrestle Drago last year and they billed it as a Lucha Underground exhibition match which was the way to do it. I wasn't keen on them at first, but came to warm up to them. Was a great show. Import heavy shows in general are very hard to get right. PCW have probably fallen into that trap of spreading themselves too thin I think which has caught out a few promotions. There's only so far they can go before it's not financially viable.

• Paid Members

PCW was never a well booked show, I never went to follow stories or see the final chapter of something. I went to have a few pints around Preston, watch the imports and see a couple of UK guys I like put on a good show.

It was a good night because money was thrown at it by Fludder and I could get pissed with our Baz.

That only lasts so long, and the more they present themselves as a greedy bunch of ego driven twatbags the faster the fun erodes from it all.

• Paid Members

PCW added a poster for their Kris Travis tourney without Pentagon Jnr on it, so myself and some others were reasonably concerned.

Had a great chat with Fludder about it.

BFoiR1R.jpg

(He's now deleted my post)

Not sure how they can do the likes of what they did with Riddle and expect anyone to trust them.

What a fucking tosser.

PCW added a poster for their Kris Travis tourney without Pentagon Jnr on it, so myself and some others were reasonably concerned.

Had a great chat with Fludder about it.

BFoiR1R.jpg

(He's now deleted my post)

Not sure how they can do the likes of what they did with Riddle and expect anyone to trust them.

What a fucking tosser.

Yeah I don't like Benno either. Him and his bloody graphs.