The Preston City Wrestling Thread

Statement on the finish from PCW

"The ending of yesterday's PCW show has polarised opinion. Here are the facts of what happened.

First, some background. For the past four years, Bubblegum and T-Bone have been aligned in PCW as members of the stable Team Single. They have fought side by side and been as close as brothers. On Saturday night in the Kris Travis Memorial Tournament quarter-final, Bubblegum defeated T-Bone in an excellent match which ended with the two men embracing in respect. But then the close of Sunday’s show saw T-Bone shockingly turn on his erstwhile friend and ally.

In Sunday’s main event, Bubblegum pinned Kenny Williams to win the tournament final in another tremendous match. After the match Bubblegum received a trophy and was congratulated by Kenny, as well as Joey Hayes, Martin Kirby, Danny Hope and T-Bone who all came down to the ring. He was presented with the tournament trophy and as the winner, gave a speech. Pip ‘Bubblegum’ Cartner spoke from the heart in his own words. His words were beautiful. They were full of praise for Kris Travis as a person and a professional, and his legacy in British wrestling, and echoed the sentiments of everybody involved in Preston City Wrestling in describing the esteem in which we held Kris.

After finishing his heartfelt speech, Bubblegum closed by saying that as the tournament winner, he was now entitled to a PCW Title shot, and sent out a verbal message to the reigning PCW Champion, the absent Iestyn Rees, that he intended to use that shot at the earliest available opportunity to become PCW Champion for the first time.

His music then played and Bubblegum received further congratulations from Danny, Kenny, Joey, Martin and T-Bone. But then, as fans started to leave because the show was over, T-Bone suddenly head butted Bubblegum. The music was cut and the atmosphere in the building changed from one of celebration to a cold and uneasy feeling of worry, shock and anger, as Bubblegum was helped to the back. This was the close of the show.

Since yesterday's events, some have expressed their displeasure at how the show ended. Others have tweeted and sent us messages saying how much they loved the show and the entire weekend, and have praised the ending itself. We would like to thank everybody for their feedback and particularly, the feedback of those who were in attendance at this weekend’s shows.

We had three intentions going into this weekend. We wanted to deliver a top class weekend of entertainment. We also wanted to honour our friend and colleague Kris Travis, in order to keep his memory and his name alive. And we also wanted to raise money for Cancer Research through sales of Kris Travis T-shirts and donations from our fans. We feel we achieved these aims and we sincerely hope that most people enjoyed themselves at our three shows this weekend. For those whose enjoyment was soured by the finish of Sunday’s show, it was certainly not our intention to offend.

We thank those in attendance this weekend who bought T-shirts and donated money to the charity. Donations will be match funded by PCW and we will release a final total in due course.

We would also like to thank our fantastic wrestling and backroom team at PCW who all delivered to an extremely high standard this weekend. We believe that this was one of our best ever PCW weekends, particularly Sunday’s show, and we are proud to have produced these events to honour our much-missed friend and colleague. He will never be forgotten by any of us."

PCW show in Blackpool Tower Circus on June 17th sold out this afternoon, all 500 tickets gone, 68 hours after they were made available. No matches or talent yet announced, for a show in 4 months time.

I look forward to people who don't attend this being OUTRAGED~! by the events of that show.

''It's what Trav would have wanted!!'' - Fludder logic. Pretty sure they ran an angle following Trav's comeback where Kris's illness was used in a storyline as well. Proper mark mentality stuff this. Fludder is a divvy, but hardly surprising given his track record. 

You know what's 'proper mark mentality'? Being OUTRAGED~! over a show you didn't see, an ending or angle you didn't see, and perhaps the best - being OUTRAGED~! over something on someone else's behalf, especially if it's the person who actually agreed to do the angle BECAUSE THEY WANTED TO DO IT. "Whaddya mean you're not upset?! I'll be upset FOR YOU!"

Also they never 'used his illness' in a storyline. He attended multiple PCW shows at Evoque during his illness & recovery (most of the time he wasn't even booked to appear on the show), hanging backstage with the guys and making an occasional appearance before the fans. He came back from stomach cancer surgery and his first match back was in PCW. That Kris Travis must have really hated working for that unscrupulous bastard Fludder!!!  :rolleyes:

PS That was 3 paragraphs WWEChilli, I trust that you were counting. ;)

Edited by ClassicsGuy

We get it you love the taste of Fludder's chode. Kris's illness was clearly used in an angle during his comeback match with Sha, which, obviously was agreed from both parties but yes it was used, I can find the promos but I can't be arsed. I was at Kris's fundraiser show, I know he loved the company and was treated as their main attraction, it still doesn't justify promoting a show and profiting off of his name because ''they earned the right to''. The ending belongs in the same category as ''Eddie's in hell'' or using Charlotte's brother Reid to further a storyline, it's counter-productive insulting bollocks that belongs in the skip, I won't be going to another show, it fucking stinks. 

• Paid Members

I want to see the  PM's from fludder to ClassicsGuy going "for fucks sake mate, put the PR into overdrive, we're losing them!"

Which is pretty sad. Chilli actually used to work with PCW and he didnt sell himself out to defend them every hour of the day.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Excellent response from Classics Guy.

Clearly there's a quite a few people on this Board, who just love to moan and whinge about PCW, all the fucking time.

"I didn't go the show but I'm SO OFFENDED by what I heard on twitter." FFS. So bland.

So many precious souls in this thread. Everyone having a pop at Classics guy for being non-stop pro-PCW. What a joke. Shows how petty you are.

Classics Guy has clearly said Fludder has made mistakes, and the wording of the "earn the right" thing was stupid and inappropriate. A fair and balanced comment. But all he gets is snide little comments from the usual suspects.

• Paid Members

To be fair it's wrestling, it has been low brow before and I'm sure it will be again.

If all they want is cheap heat they should have used his illness if he was ok with it and if this is just a tournament in name with no direct fundraising.(The tournament was just in name by their own admission, untill they sort of did something on the night it seems, which then complicates the seemingly worked shoot part of this, dropping names and really playing on it, but anyway).

It's cheap heat but if that's what they want then that's that. I'm not keen on how it sounds, but then I lost interest in PCW well before I left the country, so I'm not the target market

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

This forum is one of the most positive wrestling message boards on the web. The posters are (mostly) mature adults with families and such who can look at the dumb, ilogical shit in wrestling and laugh about it, and hell even enjoy it. So when something gets this place up in arms, it's got to be something sizable and something that matters. This isn't your average IWC smark rage that you'll find on Reddit, random shitty wrestling FB pages and the thousands of wrestling boards out there. You really have to crate a massive pong to cause a stink here and PCW have done just that.