1524 replies to this topic

#1426 Keith Houchen

Keith Houchen

European Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:38

The issue for me is the ego and arrogance. I don't believe at all that he is using the name to trouser some cash, he is doing it to honour a friend. But the way he is dealing with questions just shows Fludder up to be an even bigger arsehole than I initially thought he was.

#1427 Accident Prone

Accident Prone

Curtain Jerker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:04

With the massive amounts of names on the cards, it could have been marketed as a regular tournament with no impact to ticket sales. Then you save the Kris Travis 'branding' for those shows where you DO give away the cash to charity. They should have seen this coming.

#1428 Big Benny HG

Big Benny HG

No. 1 Contender

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 13:22

I can see PCW's predicament - they felt by renaming one of their long-established signature annual events after one of their top former stars, that was in itself honouring his memory and his legacy.  However, by even using his name on promotional material they should have at least consulted the family.  If they did and got the okay, then fine.

I can also see why punters would think at least some of the proceeds would be directed to charity.  All other BritWres events held in Travis' name have done so, and a fantastic amount of fundraising has been done in Travis memory since he became ill (including by PCW themselves).  While Kris was an amazing in-ring talent, a great part of his enduring legacy has actually become the brilliant charity work that has been accomplished in his name.  His name and memory have become synonymous with fund raising.  Even by saying they were going to have buckets at the shows for collections, or donating the raffle money for instance, might have at least have allayed people's concerns in this area.

Where this has massively fallen down is PCW's reactions on social media to people's genuine questions and concerns.  People weren't trying to shit-stir or create a cause, they had legitimate questions and assumptions that came from a genuine place.  Their statements on Facebook/Twitter haven't made them come out looking good at all, which is a shame because, like I said above, I think they probably did set out with good intentions initially, even if they weren't particularly well thought-through.  They really need to work on this - it's one thing that consistently lets them down.  If anything, they have now been deservedly pulled-up on the attitude they've portrayed here.

Of course, all of this is on the assumption that the show will even make a profit to consider in the first place.  Not that I would pretend to know any details, but the 16-man, 2-day, 3-show tournament with some noted international fly-ins (plus non-tournament stuff with others) is likely a high wage bill.  With PCW attendances not what they were a couple of years ago (in Preston, at least), combined with the fact they're reordered this year's weekend to include 2 afternoon shows (so, missing out on the usual 2 big attended Fri/Sat night shows), you might think that there isn't going to be much to go around...

I am going to the shows - I've had my tickets/hotel/travel booked for some time, mainly on the attraction of seeing Pentagon Jr. (and yes, I too did initially assume there was going to be a charitable element to the show, even though it was never expressly stated).  I'm even missing PROGRESS that day for it, which is a bummer.  However, in attending the show in Travis' name I'll also be making a donation equivalent to my ticket money to Cavendish Cancer Care in honour of a great wrestler that gave me some terrific memories.

#1429 herbie747

herbie747

European Champion

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 20:44

Good man, Ben. Class post.

My personal music project:
The Sonic Saloon

If you like a rock/metal/blues fusion, give it a listen. Regular updates & new songs posted on my Facebook Page.

#1430 kostan

kostan

Curtain Jerker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 17:07

I wanted to attend these shows, even already booked my plane ticket, however due to very arrogant replies to questions to clarify certain aspects re the show/ lineup made me decide to skip these shows anyway.

#1431 Tommy!

Tommy!

European Champion

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 15:09

The issue for me is the ego and arrogance. I don't believe at all that he is using the name to trouser some cash, he is doing it to honour a friend. But the way he is dealing with questions just shows Fludder up to be an even bigger arsehole than I initially thought he was.

This is it. They raised alot of money for charity, which is great, and are now naming the show in memory of him, which is also great.

However the response was arrogant and didn't show either positive. The claim that they have "earned the right" just makes them look like right cunts.

I don't know who does the social media but they have some major gaps in social skills or are a self entitled twat with a massively overinflated sense of self worth. Or maybe both.
Member of the UKFF Chod Shelf Fan Club

#1432 CAREBEAR LUVVA

CAREBEAR LUVVA

Card Filler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 17:11

Fludder does the social media.
My username is a punishment :(

Oh dear. You didn't read the thread.

#1433 Keith Houchen

Keith Houchen

European Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 17:38

He appears to have unblocked and followed me. If Masters follows me I'm keeping a baseball bat by the door, just in case.

#1434 Krytie 2X4B 523P

Krytie 2X4B 523P

Curtain Jerker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 18:23

It's funny when PCW send Masters round to your house and PROGRESS have 'don't be a dick' promos for piracy but have owners of said companies talking about watching football and films illegally.

#1435 CAREBEAR LUVVA

CAREBEAR LUVVA

Card Filler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:35

It's not that funny if you think about it though. It's definitely double standards because stealing is stealing whichever way you look at it, but stealing from an indy who actually need the revenue is definitely more detrimental to that company than streaming a few premiership games/Hollywood blockbusters where they've already got more money than they know what to do with.

Sending wrestlers round to threaten kids is still a dick move though.

Edited by CAREBEAR LUVVA, 19 February 2017 - 01:36.

My username is a punishment :(

Oh dear. You didn't read the thread.

#1436 Keith Houchen

Keith Houchen

European Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:26

I reckon that was part of the ego/cult mentality alluded to earlier. I imagine Fludder thought "This'll show em you don't mess with Us" and expected plaudits from who his ego thought of him as a leader, but instead he was roundly lambasted for it and rightly so. He stopped posting on here after it.

#1437 The Cum Doctor

The Cum Doctor

Main Eventer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,322 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 17:23

Pete Dunne said on Twitter he isn't appearing for PCW this weekend.

EDIT: Been replaced by Marty Scurll.

EDIT 2: Marty Scurll is off the show because he didn't know it was an afternoon show. This is going well.

Edited by The Cum Doctor, 20 February 2017 - 18:31.

#1438 chrisisfear

chrisisfear

Jobber

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 18:41

Pete Dunne said on Twitter he isn't appearing for PCW this weekend.

EDIT: Been replaced by Marty Scurll.

EDIT 2: Marty Scurll is off the show because he didn't know it was an afternoon show. This is going well.

Interesting reason for Pete pulling out too...

16830258_10154178013540614_521741012_n.j

#1439 Daaaaaad!

Daaaaaad!

European Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 18:42

I realise that's probably an easier decision to make now that he knows there are WWE cheques likely to be coming in, but still, good on Pete Dunne for sticking to his principles and rejecting the booking.

#1440 bradfordcity

bradfordcity

Jobber

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 19:35

Have you noticed pcw have not announced Pete Dunne has pulled out!