The Preston City Wrestling Thread

The thing is with social media things do get blown up and people will jump on anything to feel better about themselves and how righteous they are.

I just think it's sad. Kris was a major part of PCW and the product was never the same when he left.

I saw PCW as his home the promotion seemed built around him and it would be only fitting that PCW should hold such a memorial tournament. PCW should have seen these questions coming and the backlash some sort of token surely. Instead of being a good thing in his memory it's now tarnished which is a real shame and I would hope that something could be resolved as those Travis matches at PCW were truly something special.

To be fair, I am see why it hasn't been announced as a charity event. With so many on show, chance of profit looks slim, so if he sent £7.33 , the response from that would be "where has the money gone". If it had been an old wrestler who died of natural causes, I doubt much would have been made of it. But since kris was so young, and to a disease so closely linked to fundraising in cancer, there is an expectation that anything in his name will be charity related. I don't think fludder has done this to make himself rich, it's just an unfortunate bad decision. Fair play to the wrestlers, and others in wrestling who have used this as an opportunity to donate.

The issue for me is the ego and arrogance. I don't believe at all that he is using the name to trouser some cash, he is doing it to honour a friend. But the way he is dealing with questions just shows Fludder up to be an even bigger arsehole than I initially thought he was.

• Paid Members

I can see PCW's predicament - they felt by renaming one of their long-established signature annual events after one of their top former stars, that was in itself honouring his memory and his legacy.  However, by even using his name on promotional material they should have at least consulted the family.  If they did and got the okay, then fine.

I can also see why punters would think at least some of the proceeds would be directed to charity.  All other BritWres events held in Travis' name have done so, and a fantastic amount of fundraising has been done in Travis memory since he became ill (including by PCW themselves).  While Kris was an amazing in-ring talent, a great part of his enduring legacy has actually become the brilliant charity work that has been accomplished in his name.  His name and memory have become synonymous with fund raising.  Even by saying they were going to have buckets at the shows for collections, or donating the raffle money for instance, might have at least have allayed people's concerns in this area.

Where this has massively fallen down is PCW's reactions on social media to people's genuine questions and concerns.  People weren't trying to shit-stir or create a cause, they had legitimate questions and assumptions that came from a genuine place.  Their statements on Facebook/Twitter haven't made them come out looking good at all, which is a shame because, like I said above, I think they probably did set out with good intentions initially, even if they weren't particularly well thought-through.  They really need to work on this - it's one thing that consistently lets them down.  If anything, they have now been deservedly pulled-up on the attitude they've portrayed here.

Of course, all of this is on the assumption that the show will even make a profit to consider in the first place.  Not that I would pretend to know any details, but the 16-man, 2-day, 3-show tournament with some noted international fly-ins (plus non-tournament stuff with others) is likely a high wage bill.  With PCW attendances not what they were a couple of years ago (in Preston, at least), combined with the fact they're reordered this year's weekend to include 2 afternoon shows (so, missing out on the usual 2 big attended Fri/Sat night shows), you might think that there isn't going to be much to go around...

I am going to the shows - I've had my tickets/hotel/travel booked for some time, mainly on the attraction of seeing Pentagon Jr. (and yes, I too did initially assume there was going to be a charitable element to the show, even though it was never expressly stated).  I'm even missing PROGRESS that day for it, which is a bummer.  However, in attending the show in Travis' name I'll also be making a donation equivalent to my ticket money to Cavendish Cancer Care in honour of a great wrestler that gave me some terrific memories.