The Preston City Wrestling Thread

Went to both evening shows. Absolutely shocked at the turn out, with the amount of imports on the cards they surely can't have made much money. I'd estimate no more than 250 fans for each show. (The loss of ROH being the most obvious reason)

Solid wrestling shows though Joey Janela vs Chris Dickinson from night 1 and Janela vs Keith Lee/ AR Fox vs Bubblegum where the stand out matches.

I think with a lot on this month alone in UK wrestling aside from the normal WWE Tour, we've had ICW Fear & Loathing at the Hydro, the second Rev Pro and NJPW double header, ROH's first standalone dates in the UK in almost a decade to name a few, I think it was always going to be tricky to woo people over as most people were always going to go to one. And the knock on effect of said tour being in the same day they were in Liverpool didn't help. It was a matter of competing for people's interest.

I think anyone who chose to miss out on this weekend, missed out themselves.  Incredible weekend of wrestling.  First time seeing pretty muhc every single one of the imports live, and they were all brilliant.

If we don't get more Jurn Simmons and Axel Dieter Jr. over here now, with the lower price for importing guys from Germany over America, there is something terribly terribly wrong with people.

Team CZW (Dave Crist, Joey Janela, Dezmond Xavier and Zachary Wentz) were absolutely awesome too

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Pete Dunne was also supposed to work 4FW and ACH was supposed to be working VIP in Texas but both did PWG.

The difference in the Riddle case appears to be that the promotion didn't tell anyone he wasn't going to be there when they found out. IPW-UK who were likely splitting the airfare with PCW, had booked a new flight for him to make their show tonight, so it's unlikely PCW weren't aware ahead of time.

Edited by Benno

I read somewhere on Twitter that PCW had just flat-out stopped advertising Riddle for that specific show, rather than just announce that he wasn't going to be there.

Bit of a shitty move really, because I'm sure there's at least some people who would have bought tickets for that show specifically for him.

Here's from the event page on Facebook. Scroll down to discussion. Here's how they put it.

TONIGHT IN BRADFORD. VENUE CIRCLE BAR!

DOORS FOR ALL 5pm (yes & for Cody Rhodes meet & greet)

SHOW START 6pm

RYBACK meet & greet during interval

SHOW END approx 9pm

Matt Riddle unfortunately will not make it. Matt made the call to work PWG and make it a very tight schedule. Surprisingly with only 3 photos sold for a debut in the UK we allowed PWG to be part of the deal to relieve costs from us and make bringing him in still a viable option. Those 3 who bought a photo with Matt let us know at the show we will refund your photo opportunity money. I hear Matt is confirmed for no less than 10 UK dates in 2017 including PCW so you will see plenty of him in 2017.

It's a stacked show and will be the best £15 you ever spent. One man does not make a card and the headliners are both in the UK and looking forward to tonight and the UK star line up is amazing.

I remember Fludder once saying he keeps all the photo money - is this a standard thing?

It depends on the deal he's made with the talent, from my very small & limited experience with this kind of thing - you either pay wrestler £X and then split photo money or you pay wrestler £X + another relatively small fee and keep the 100% of the money.

Give the fact that PCW probably split the airfare for Ryback & Cody Rhodes between a few different shows and the massive queue for both at the Bradford show, he made his money back and then some.

While it may work from a business sense, it makes awkward booking decisions in PCW like that weird 6-man tag with Al Snow, Juventud Guerrera, The Hurricane & Uhaa Nation from a few years past.

I personally disagree with booking talent and then pulling them before the show because no-one buys a photograph. I buy tickets to see wrestlers wrestle, I'm not that fussed for paying over the odds for a photo taken on a smartphone that's just going to get uploaded onto Facebook.