The Preston City Wrestling Thread

It's an interesting alternative take on the situation Classics, guess my counter question would be, and bear in mind I've no idea whether PCW tape all of their shows for DVD, or would all of the shows with talent the calibre of Dunne booked...

But I question why Dunne would potentially affect future bookings and harm his relationship and with one of the countries most active promotions when there were a hundred other ways to withdraw from the show?  As has been pointed out, he'd already acknowledged the situation once where he pledged to donate his fee, so if he was 'always pulling out' why not then? 

I'm not saying your wrong by any means, but I question the logic of the approach that was taken if you are in the right ball park.

Why he didn't pull out when he originally tweeted that he'd fulfill his booking and give a donation is the million dollar question. Maybe he didn't want it to seem an overreaction. Maybe he genuinely didn't know that PCW tapes every show for DVD release and have done for years, although again, how could he not know that? PCW are far from the biggest UK promotion, but they're one of the more high profile ones. Dunne has very rarely wrestled for PCW - just twice before in the promotions 6 year history - once in January 2015 ironically on the charity fundraiser show for Travis that Dunne worked for free, and then again 4 months later vs Sabu in May 2015. It's not like he's a PCW regular or has a big recurring booking relationship with Fludder. Maybe he doesn't like Fludder and wanted to stick it to him by pulling out 5 days before the show? Only Dunne can answer this. He's claiming 'insensitive comments' though, which is a true - if convenient - get out. Whether meant or not, it's a way of pulling out of the booking and coming up smelling of roses, and putting all the heat on Fludder and not on himself or WWE.  

Edited by ClassicsGuy

• Paid Members

I don't disagree with you in theory, its certainly plausible, even likely, the WWE contract could stop him performing, but it's not apples to apples with the WXW & IPW UK examples you posed. Both of them are Flo Slam promotions, which is an issue by itself. PCW aren't a WWE friendly promotion so they probably wouldn't get an exception like others have, but it's not impossible to imagine he could have still worked the show but not been on DVD/streaming. It's not like they'd get released any time soon anyway. Maybe they talked about moving him out of the tournament and he still pulled because of the Travis stuff? Who knows.

It's also worth pointing out, as noted in this thread, it's close but it's not quite the same as the Riddle situation, PCW did announce he won't be there when they replaced him with Scurll. They just subsequently deleted that post when Scurll cancelled and have then not been in a rush to change their graphics, which is carny in itself.

On the FCP thing, you've missed that it's already been announced that the match with the Elite is a dark match. It's not out the realm of possibility WWE could still pull them, but it feels less likely with it being just a match for house.

The venn diagram of who can work where is very confusing. Dunne and Seven still working a more and more New Japan aligned Rev Pro, and being on their On Demand, is weird considering they can't do the same for the two less visible promotions they've actually had a hand in running - but I guess this was always going to be the confusing landscape when WWE got involved.

Edited by Benno

For those keeping track and who can see the bigger picture, Dunne has pulled out of 3 major UK/European promotions shows that he was booked on, at the last minute, in the last month.

WxW, IPW-UK and PCW.

He knew a month ago, after pulling out of the WxW and IPW-UK shows due to the terms of his WWE contract prohibiting him from wrestling on shows being taped for DVD and/or streaming, that he wasn't going to be able to wrestle on the PCW shows. Because it was EXACTLY the same type of situation. He had to have known, unless he's an idiot. And to be as successful as he's been thus far, he's not an idiot.

Regardless of Fludder's comments, which at this point are at best a massive coincidence that gave Dunne the excuse to pull out and babyface himself in the process, and at worst, provided him with the 'out' he needed. Dunne claiming that WWE didn't pull him from PCW is just using semantics as a get out clause. They didn't 'pull' him; Dunne himself signed a contract with WWE in January that doesn't allow him to wrestle on the shows. Blaming 'insensitive comments' sounds a lot better than 'I finally understand the small print in my WWE contract now'. Especially after HHH publicly talked about the whole WWE UK guys contracts in his conference call last month.

PCW are culpable too. They knew Dunne wasn't going to be able to wrestle on these shows, from late January onwards, as soon as the terms of Dunne's WWE contract came out publicly and Dunne had pulled out of WxW and IPW-UK. They were warned by multiple people. And their continuing silence on the matter since Dunne pulled out earlier this week is out of order, as it's basically become false advertising at this point. Almost a carbon copy of the Matt Riddle/PCW/PWG situation last year.

I understand this is all an inconvenient truth to some and that loads hate Fludder and want to jump on the hate bandwagon, but lets not make Dunne a saint in all of this. He could have handled this much better. Both sides are at fault and it's the fans who are being screwed. Dunne's comments about 'Well I'm still wrestling Pentagon Jr the night before in Portsmouth if fans want to see that match' are laughable. Yeah Pete, it's really feasible for the fans who paid money to see you wrestle at the PRESTON shows to do the 10 hour, 546 mile round trip the night before to PORTSMOUTH, on a weeknight, at short notice.     

The list of promotions that WWE allows Dunne to wrestle for in the U.K. is seemingly arbitrary, almost a 'favoured nations' type deal. Dunne is advertised for the Fight Club Pro shows over Easter weekend but I wouldn't be shocked at all if he gets pulled from there too. Maybe WWE won't want him wrestling against 3 top New Japan guys, who knows.

I would imagine Fight Club Pro have a better idea than anyone on here whether Dunne is allowed to appear or not, being as it's Co owned by Trent Seven who has the same contract.. Dunne wasn't pulled from this months FCP show which also had Trent, Tyler and Dan Moloney on the card...

I would imagine Fight Club Pro have a better idea than anyone on here whether Dunne is allowed to appear or not, being as it's Co owned by Trent Seven who has the same contract.. Dunne wasn't pulled from this months FCP show which also had Trent, Tyler and Dan Moloney on the card...

Fair point. The match against Omega & the Bucks seems like something WWE would ordinarily try to prevent, but as you say with Seven's ownership interest, maybe they'll turn a blind eye.

It's also worth noting that apparently all the WWE UK guys are signed on the same deals, and T-Bone is still advertised for the PCW shows, so more than likely, Pete Dunne pulled himself out because of the insensitive comments, as he has stated

It's also worth noting that apparently all the WWE UK guys are signed on the same deals, and T-Bone is still advertised for the PCW shows, so more than likely, Pete Dunne pulled himself out because of the insensitive comments, as he has stated

Not every person in the WWE UK tournament has signed the same deal. 

Dunne, Wolfgang, Bate and Seven have all been on NXT tv since. T-Bone hasn't, nor have many others in the tournament.

Edited by ClassicsGuy

The rumour was they all got a £16,000 one year deal. Though doesn't make sense seeing as there's no announcement for this WWE UK series at the moment. In terms of WWE deals not letting him do promotions. Thought the deal was no restrictions unless the companies themselves had any. I think the reason they couldn't do WCPW was a report they're supposed to be trying to hire wrestlers to a gig at WhatCulture Ltd that would mean their dates have priority. Which means they can't go there. Yet, WCPW only bothered to quote half of Regal's statement. And WWE are the bad guys?

Triple H Conference Call from 26th January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as3rQLWnJSg

22:59 in. Details how WWE are being picky over which UK promotions that they're allowing certain contracted UK talent to work.

What he doesn't mention is the additional restrictions also being placed, which are that guys aren't allows to work shows that are being taped for DVDs/streaming. Although again, it's assessed by WWE on a case-by-case, individual-by-individual basis.

Ironically at the 26:40 mark he talks about how he wants companies to use Pete Dunne, using Dunne as his example.

Edited by ClassicsGuy

Dunne has very rarely wrestled for PCW - just twice before in the promotions 6 year history - once in January 2015 ironically on the charity fundraiser show for Travis that Dunne worked for free, and then again 4 months later vs Sabu in May 2015. 

Dunne also worked a 6 way, and a match vs El Ligero on the May shows. I remember thinking Ryan Smile and Damian Dunne had more upside coming out of that weekend, although to be fair that was before Pete switched up his gimmick/worked out who he was.

As others have said one would think ownership status would mean FCP and ATTACK are added to PROGRESS on the approved promotions list (even then wrestling NJPW stars means it has to be a dark match). Rev Pro are the interesting ones given their closeness to NJPW (title even being defended on NJPW shows) and to an extent ROH. Yet I am still allowed to see Dunne and Seven on their on demand service for time being at least.

• Paid Members

He had to have known, unless he's an idiot. And to be as successful as he's been thus far, he's not an idiot.

Don't assume idiots can't be successful. Or successfully people can't be massive cunts too, while we are at it.

Not every person in the WWE UK tournament has signed the same deal. 

Dunne, Wolfgang, Bate and Seven have all been on NXT tv since. T-Bone hasn't, nor have many others in the tournament.

Dunne, Trent and Tyler have US work visas through the WWE/Progress connection I believe. Main reason they've all been on NXT. As for Wolfgang, he may have one through ICW or he's actually signed an NXT contract and it hasn't been annonunced.