The Preston City Wrestling Thread

• Paid Members

Yep - Jimmy J, Jennie B, Rhio, Dave Birch, Big T Justice, James Finn, Alex Boylin, Phillip Michael, Seymour Gains and Jack Baron are all Academy guys who've been making their way onto main shows recently.  Some are better than others.  Some actually show decent promise.

What really doesn't help their cause on the main shows is that they usually tend to be thrown out there in Academy vs. Academy student matches against each other, and the bouts tend to die a death with the audience wanting to see the bigger BritWres names and international guests.  If they started mixing the Academy guys in with the established names (e.g. tagging with someone, or being part of 6-man tags or multi-ways with bigger names) then they'd get over a lot better.

Edited by Big Benny HG

The crowd at this show seemed to react to them all pretty well. 

These were both my first experience of PCW.  Tickets were £5, so no complaints, but the shows were pretty brutal at times.

As HatMan said though, some of the Academy guys were pretty good, and if I hadn't been told they were Academy wrestlers I wouldn't have known.  Some of them were pretty bad though.

• Paid Members

For a fiver, they were super fun shows. Yeah you had some trainee matches but only one was particularly bad. For the sake of ten quid over the two shows, it provided a helluva lot of good stuff and the crowd were great too. The Hooligans tag, Kenny Williams/Bubblegum, Ashton Smith/Martin Kirby and Bubblegum/Lionheart were cracking contests and everyone else showed off some tremendous character work. Well worth a look if they do a similar thing again.

• Paid Members

Pete Dunne has been added to the Kris Travis Memorial Tournament in February. I hoping to see Dunne vs Pentagon Dark at some point that weekend.

That's a match I was instantly hoping for too.  Glad Pete's coming back to PCW - it'll be nearly 2 years since he was last there (5uper5how weekender in April 2015, I think, with the match against Sabu, and only the Kris Travis fundraiser show before that) and his profile has skyrocketed since then.  Good signing.  I am expecting Dunne to only make the quarter-finals at best, though (the 2 shows on the Saturday), since PROGRESS have a show on the Sunday which clashes with Show 3 of the PCW weekend (the semis and final) that I would expect he'll be booked for.

Pete Dunne has been added to the Kris Travis Memorial Tournament in February. I hoping to see Dunne vs Pentagon Dark at some point that weekend.

That's a match I was instantly hoping for too.  Glad Pete's coming back to PCW - it'll be nearly 2 years since he was last there (5uper5how weekender in April 2015, I think, with the match against Sabu, and only the Kris Travis fundraiser show before that) and his profile has skyrocketed since then.  Good signing.  I am expecting Dunne to only make the quarter-finals at best, though (the 2 shows on the Saturday), since PROGRESS have a show on the Sunday which clashes with Show 3 of the PCW weekend (the semis and final) that I would expect he'll be booked for.

Yea that's a good point, Dunne will surely be at PROGRESS on the Sunday.

I hadn't noticed that the tournament was Saturday & Sunday rather than the usual PCW Friday/Saturday. Will be strange the Saturday afternoon being the first show of the tournament rather than the "hangover" show.

• Paid Members

Yea that's a good point, Dunne will surely be at PROGRESS on the Sunday.

I hadn't noticed that the tournament was Saturday & Sunday rather than the usual PCW Friday/Saturday. Will be strange the Saturday afternoon being the first show of the tournament rather than the "hangover" show.

Might be something to do with venue availability or something, but I'm not sure I like the change.  The good thing about the normal weekender schedule (Friday night; Saturday afternoon; Saturday night) is that you get the two 'big' main night shows with the big party atmosphere etc, with something a little more light-hearted in the middle to break everything up.  Everything peaks for the big final Saturday night show.  It's a good schedule.

What they are doing this time (Saturday afternoon; Saturday night; Sunday afternoon/teatime) means you have probably a cold opening on Saturday afternoon, the big Saturday night show (usually the one with the biggest attendance and best atmosphere) is actually right in the middle of the whole thing, then the close won't likely have the same atmosphere what with being an early start/finish (and a Sunday).

Could just be a one-off, as I notice that they are back to the normal Fri-Sat-Sat for the December weekender (and no spring/April weekender this time, at least not in the same venue).

Might be something to do with venue availability or something, but I'm not sure I like the change.  The good thing about the normal weekender schedule (Friday night; Saturday afternoon; Saturday night) is that you get the two 'big' main night shows with the big party atmosphere etc, with something a little more light-hearted in the middle to break everything up.  Everything peaks for the big final Saturday night show.  It's a good schedule.

What they are doing this time (Saturday afternoon; Saturday night; Sunday afternoon/teatime) means you have probably a cold opening on Saturday afternoon, the big Saturday night show (usually the one with the biggest attendance and best atmosphere) is actually right in the middle of the whole thing, then the close won't likely have the same atmosphere what with being an early start/finish (and a Sunday).

That's my thinking too. On the plus side, the general admission weekend tickets are cheaper this time around! Probably to entice people to stay for the Sunday show.

• Paid Members

There's an early summer weekender for the Tribute to the Troops gimmick isn't there?

Yes, but it's different venues rather than whole weekend in same place (from memory it's Friday night and Saturday lunchtime in Preston Guildhall, with then a Saturday night show at Evoque).

There's a lot on in that region that weekend.  As an approximate plan, I think I'll be doing FutureShock in Prestwich on the Friday night, the Saturday afternoon PCW show in Preston and then WorkingAResthold's debut live 'pop-up' show in Manchester Saturday night.

Edited by Big Benny HG

There's an early summer weekender for the Tribute to the Troops gimmick isn't there?

Yes, but it's different venues rather than whole weekend in same place (from memory it's Friday night and Saturday lunchtime in Preston Guildhall, with then a Saturday night show at Evoque).

There's a lot on in that region that weekend.  As an approximate plan, I think I'll be doing FutureShock in Prestwich on the Friday night, the Saturday afternoon PCW show in Preston and then WorkingAResthold's debut live 'pop-up' show in Manchester Saturday night.

RestholdMania have already announced Ligero, Mastiff, Ridgeway, Smith, Rampage (although his PCW status is uncertain as he didn't work 3 dates he was announced for at end of last year and isn't on posters going forward) so it will be interesting what sort of lineup PCW have for the Saturday night show (although having said that I just reeled off about 10 names in my head plus the academy kids).

RestholdMania have already announced Ligero, Mastiff, Ridgeway, Smith, Rampage (although his PCW status is uncertain as he didn't work 3 dates he was announced for at end of last year and isn't on posters going forward) so it will be interesting what sort of lineup PCW have for the Saturday night show (although having said that I just reeled off about 10 names in my head plus the academy kids).

I thought he was ill that weekend? Someone told me he didn't work the FutureShock show around the same time he was booked for, and was because of illness.

I thought he was ill that weekend? Someone told me he didn't work the FutureShock show around the same time he was booked for, and was because of illness.

I don't know, all I know as an uninformed punter is that the sequence of shows went as follows,

PCW 25/11 announced, didn't work

PCW 26/11 announced, didn't work

WCPW 30/11 worked

WCPW 1/12 worked

PCW 9/12 announced, didn't work

PROGRESS 11/12 worked

That was intriguing so I have been watching his 2017 dates with interest.