The Preston City Wrestling Thread

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

What's happened to PCW?
I recognise barely any of the names on their shows anymore - it's like when 1PW started using all the trainees.
Is it a cashflow crisis or just that they have pissed so many people off with their customer service?

Not recognising names may say more about you than them. Bradford had Matt Riddle (indy superstar), Angelico (Lucha Underground/indy star), Dezmond Xavier/Zachary Wentz (CZW/US indy really talented dudes), Bubblegum/Iestyn Rees/Lionheart/T-Bone/Joey Hayes/Martin Kirby (established UK guys), Chris Ridgeway (pretty well established UK guy), Lewis Girvan (ICW), Soner Dursun (Futureshock, if you haven't seen his match(s) with Travis Banks then you should), Matthew Brooks (GPW, tremendous gimmick which should make him a Martina style breakout star), and 4 trainees in Michael, Arcadian, Matthews and Birch.

The Bradford show was really good. Perhaps what happened with Riddle last time did burn them in that market.

Then Saturday they ran a show against SSS16 which maybe wasn't the wisest move, and personally a lack of trains and affordable hotels (bank holiday weekend) meant I couldn't go.

But yes, definitely their customer service etc (the lack of an efficient, coherent VoD service hurts them as well) has got rid of a lot of the hardcore Britwres fans, and they are well served by the likes of Progress, Fight Club PRO, ATTACK etc whilst closer to home GPW and Futureshock both seem on an upswing, so people aren't paying them as much/any attention. Then you have the nice friendly Aulds at Southside, and Andy Q at Rev Pro if you fancy a few imports in your wrestling. Whilst WCPW seem to draw a lot from a new crowd of non-Britwres fans if they've squeezed anyones market its PCW.

Obviously the economic situation has declined (for everyone), and those eye-catching ex-WWE names are not knocking about like they once were, so yeah they are losing out on the casuals as well.

The irony is, having run off a lot of fans they have started producing a more interesting product with interesting names and some good/great matches that those people would probably enjoy. Whatever the reasons for the likes of Rampage, Mastiff, Ligero not being around their absence have given the roster a badly needed refresh and the shows I have been to starting from the World Championships last year onwards have been very enjoyable.

13 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Is it a cashflow crisis or just that they have pissed so many people off with their customer service?

I'd say they've earned the right to piss people off however they choose.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, janb said:

Whatever the reasons for the likes of Rampage, Mastiff, Ligero not being around their absence have given the roster a badly needed refresh 

I hadn't noticed they weren't there any more. How long has it been since they appeared?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Big Benny HG said:

None of those 3 have been on any PCW shows since November 2016.

Oh wow, didn't realise it'd been that long. That's 3 big names to lose, all former champions. I'm assuming because of the timing it was the ITV contracts although Ashton Smith is still on their shows, isn't he?

20 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Oh wow, didn't realise it'd been that long. That's 3 big names to lose, all former champions. I'm assuming because of the timing it was the ITV contracts although Ashton Smith is still on their shows, isn't he?

Yeah, Ashton is the current cruiserweight champion.

3 minutes ago, Jon-Carr_92 said:

I recall Rampage was originally booked for the Wrestling World Championship but he didn't do it in the end and T Bone replaced him. When was the last Ligero and Mastiff appeared for them? Didn't know they'd stopped.

If i remember rightly, the last time Mastiff appeared was Wrestling World Championships in November. And Ligero was the CZW/PCW event in Liverpool earlier in November. Their absence has made room for guys like Chris Ridgeway to step up, and for academy student Phillip Michael to shine. Bubblegum has also been on top form this year. So the shows have still been decent.