the 80s

Mr Lawrence

• Paid Members
I also know what Axl Rose looks like. I imagine everyone here does.

Sorry Butch.

Guns N' Roses were the first band I discovered for myself at age 7 or 8 after growing up with my parents' (admittedly great - I wasn't trying to rebel) music choices. I had a cassette walkman and Appetite For Destruction (which was new at the time) was the first album I bought and I used to listen to it constantly, the band acted so rebellious and sexy it blew my mind. Axl Rose just seemed so cool to me, the only person I idolized as much as him was Schwarzenegger. My brother showed me The Terminator at around this same age and I couldn't believe how cool it was, I watched it over and over again. When Terminator 2 came out and Guns N' Roses did the incredible song You could be mine for the soundtrack I couldn't believe it, everything I loved had come together in an amazing pop culture phenomenon in a way that's never been repeated. I daren't think how many times I've listened to appetite for destruction, I've listened to it at least a couple of times a month for like 20 years and I used to listen to it several times a day, it's still one of my favourite albums. The Terminator is still my all time favourite film after all these years too. Stuff I've liked in between has come and gone and I never listen to any music I liked as a teenager but my favourite stuff from when I was a kid still stands and I still love it. I've worked with a few teenagers who just know Axl Rose as a twat and some sort of reclusive punchline but fuck them, I'm not listening to some kid tell me what I like isn't cool, they don't know what cool fucking is, I grew up with Schwarzenegger and Stallone killing the box office and Guns N' Roses, Alice Cooper and Iron Maiden rockin' my ears, they're to young to even know what Wayne's World is... Cunts.

They may have bought a Blu Ray player. That's more plausible then selling Blade Runner...

I might start a survey.

That's what my missus said, but it was hard to part with my special edition VHS with the postcards in.

..... WOAH WOAH WOAH. The rules change when it comes to special editions with kibble. The films the same when you stick the disc in, but those postcards are irreplaceable. The fact you even owned that version... Surf, I feel like I haven't told you I love you enough lately.

I've owned 3 copied of Blade Runner now. VHS, then I bought the Director's Cut when it was released on DVD (the 2nd DVD I ever bought, when they came in those cool cardboard sleeves) and finally the more recent remastered DVD because it was in 5.1 and had a better picture.

When I get a new console, I'll only buy one BluRay. It's the most beautiful film ever made.

• Paid Members
"Harrison Ford"

Harrison Ford was so cool as Indiana Jones in three Indiana Jones movies.

Harrison Ford was so cool as Han Solo in three Star Wars movies.

Harrison Ford was so cool as Rick Deckard in Blade Runner. I've put that one last so you know it was my favourite.

He looked really cool in all three but a different kind of cool in each. You know what he looked like in each.

I only know Ford from Air Force One. As a guy who generally hates action films, I bloody love Air Force One. Ford is amazing in it - awesome movie in general.

I can't contribute much else to this topic as I wasn't even sperm in the 1980s. As for Axl Rose, I saw him at Hellfest last year from the sanctuary of the bar and it was completely amazing watching him fall on his obese face in person

Still haven't seen Blade Runner. As a rule I despise Sci Fi films so I've never felt the need to watch it. It's one of those films I can just tell I'd hate.

I also know what Axl Rose looks like. I imagine everyone here does.

Sorry Butch.

Guns N' Roses were the first band I discovered for myself at age 7 or 8 after growing up with my parents' (admittedly great - I wasn't trying to rebel) music choices. I had a cassette walkman and Appetite For Destruction (which was new at the time) was the first album I bought and I used to listen to it constantly, the band acted so rebellious and sexy it blew my mind. Axl Rose just seemed so cool to me, the only person I idolized as much as him was Schwarzenegger. My brother showed me The Terminator at around this same age and I couldn't believe how cool it was, I watched it over and over again. When Terminator 2 came out and Guns N' Roses did the incredible song You could be mine for the soundtrack I couldn't believe it, everything I loved had come together in an amazing pop culture phenomenon in a way that's never been repeated. I daren't think how many times I've listened to appetite for destruction, I've listened to it at least a couple of times a month for like 20 years and I used to listen to it several times a day, it's still one of my favourite albums. The Terminator is still my all time favourite film after all these years too. Stuff I've liked in between has come and gone and I never listen to any music I liked as a teenager but my favourite stuff from when I was a kid still stands and I still love it. I've worked with a few teenagers who just know Axl Rose as a twat and some sort of reclusive punchline but fuck them, I'm not listening to some kid tell me what I like isn't cool, they don't know what cool fucking is, I grew up with Schwarzenegger and Stallone killing the box office and Guns N' Roses, Alice Cooper and Iron Maiden rockin' my ears, they're to young to even know what Wayne's World is... Cunts.

I find myself romanticising about the 80's, even though I'm a bit younger. Most of the pop culture stuff that I love from that era was either repeated in the early 90's (children's wise, The Raccoons, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors) or music that I listened to later on, like Guns n Roses, Rush, and many other lesser known 80's AOR merchants.

The point about T2/GnR being an amazing pop culture conflagration never being repeated is absolutely spot on. There just isn't music that enters the national conscience on that level, in that way, in that style. If everyone knows a song now, it's because it was on a fucking advert, or some X factor mook has got hold of it, and it's then been used on an advert. Nothing feels that organic now either, because of all the overproduction, autotuning, etc. "You could be mine" would have been a great and memorable rock song regardless of whether it was the signature tune for Terminator 2 or not. It's a really good song from a really good album.

I suppose this is a lament about the increasingly fractured nature of popular culture, but there's less stuff worthy of it now anyway. That's not to say "all modern music is shit" but really, the 80's had some really fucking brilliant and diverse stuff. And Kurt Russell.

• Paid Members

Cannon Films produced some cracking, cheesy action films in the 80s. "Death Wish" series, Chuck Norris films, "American Ninja", more Charlie Bronson films, various others too. It's quite amazing that everything from about 1988 sucked from them.

I have my Year 10 Media Studies teacher to thank for showing me Bladerunner. My mate had won Woolworths vouchers at school so the following weekend we went and got the Directors cut and basked in it's glory for the second time in a week. I bought the final cut some time in 2008 on my first payday at a new job.

Need to watch it again soon.

Oh yeah, Rutger Hauer is my choice of best badass.

Archived