The 2013 UKFF UK50 - Stage Two

Big Benny HG

• Paid Members

My votes come with a heavy north west bias, but whatever:

Damon Leigh - Been around for ever, in the best shape of his career and appears to be doing great work everywhere hes getting it at the moment. Deserves some recognition for everything hes done for wrestling in this area of the country.

Jack Gallagher - Surprised he's not in list, guessing its because he went to Japan half way through the eligible period, but his body of work across the county in that short time should make him a no brainier.

I haven't voted for anyone else, because I only see GPW, Infinite and the rare Futureshock/PCW show. I did see Andy Wild somewhere but all I know about him is he wears white pants that stay "Unstoppable" on the arse. Obviously that's hilarious but probably doesn't entitle him to a vote.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vote 1: Damon Leigh

Versatile beyond belief with a vastly underrated wit, one of my favourite guys to watch this past year in Futureshock.

Vote 2: Jack Gallagher

I don't think he's capable of having a bad match. Whether playing the snidey, aloof villain or heroic grappler Jack has produced over and over again.

Vote 3: Kay Lee Ray

Charismatic, athletic and incredibly engaging. Her match with Carmel from PCW's Halloween gig came within a hair's breadth of stealing the show.

• Paid Members

VOTE ONE: Damian Dunne.

REASON: Literally watched him grow up before my eyes from his very first matches and he should be amazingly proud of where he is now. All round pro, works in any role on a show and never, ever phones it in. Fine wrestler with a massive future.

VOTE TWO: Damon Leigh

REASON: Purely for his work I've seen in Great Bear Promotions where's he's quite rightly the headliner and always puts in a great performance and controls a crowd brilliantly.

• Paid Members

Vote 1 Paul Malen

Reason. One of the most versatile wrestlers in the UK. Does not have to rely on kicking someone really hard to get his matches over. He actually knows how to work both his opponent and a crowd. In one of the best tag teams in the UK with Joe Connors, the Predators have had some top quality matches in Southside but is equally at home on the holiday camp shows or for LDN. Good on the mic, equally at home as a face or heel, although I prefer him as a heel, simply one of the best Pro Wrestlers in the UK today.

Not seen enough of the others to submit a meaningful vote, so won't.

Behnam Ali

Followed from afar, cracking wrestler. As seen as Owen Phoenix didnt make it, he should for sure.

Jack Gallagher

Epic wrestler, yes been in Japan for a while, but immensely insanely good!

Kay Lee Ray

Cracking lady in the ring, should be there with April and Carmel (for that matter)

Damon Leigh

Really come into his own this year, and his heel work alongside Melanie Price in Great Bear has been far better than anyone expected

Jack Gallagher

Great talent, wrestling a style that I love to see and doing it just as well over in Japan

Kay Lee Ray

Put on consistently fun matches against a variety of competitors, whether hardcore or high flying babyface

• Awards Moderator

Vote 1: Jack Gallagher

I've heard more buzz about him this last year than any of the others, and he does the kind of style I like watching from a British wrestler.

(On a side-note, Jonny Storm out of the 50? That's a turn up for the books, isn't it? Hasn't he been in all of them up to this year?)

(On a second-side-note, Benton Destruction is a cracking name and I'd have given him a vote based purely on that.)

Vote 1: Andy Wild

Reason: Consistently good matches in PWE and ICW

Vote 2: Kid Fite

Reason: Good year for him, including BCW Heavyweight Championship Run, good matches in ICW

Vote 3: Kay Lee Ray

Reason: One of the best females in the UK and highly underutilised

Of those I've seen in person, only Kay Lee Ray stands out and she was in my top 15 vote.

Her matches with Carmel at PCW have set a very high bar for women's matches and no doubt she will be even better for her recent trip to Japan. She can fly and brawl really well, even getting thrown through the fire exit door.

Vote 1: Damian Dunne

Reason: Improved so much in the past year, hopefully will make waves in the next 12 months

Vote 2: Kid Fite

Reason: Good matches all around the UK, a credit to the UK scene

Vote 3: Andy Wild

Reason: One of the most underrated guys in the UK, had some amazing matches this year as he has had for the last 4 or 5

Only one I can choose is Behnam Ali, biased maybe but at 20 years old this youngster is technically sound, aggressive, improving look on a daily basis, is impressing all the right people in Japan, is competing for his first Championship in Japan for Michinoku Pro in September, Ultimo Dragon has taken him under his wing, will embark on a tour of Mexico next year (announcement coming in October). All this at 20 years of age, unreal, recent contest and picture attached.

BehnamAli_zps933585f6.jpg

VOTE ONE: Kid Fite

REASON: He has this huge legit presence to him, whether he's wrestling or cutting promos, always come off as genuine badass. He had an Amazing BCW championship title victory over wolfgang ealrier this year, fantastic storytelling in that match, and his ICW tag bouts are always solid. Plus he runs his own shows and has trained some of the best wrestlers going today (i.e. noam dar, andy wild, kaylee ray etc)

VOTE TWO Damon Leigh

REASON: Y GPW, Great Bear, Futureshock etc, DDL can always be found entertaining the crowd like no other. Whether an entertaining babyface or a dastardly heel, his wit and charisma is second to none, not to mention his current reign as Great Bear Champion champion, where we've seen some of his best work with against challengers of Chuck taylor, Sam Bailey and Joey Hayes etc.

VOTE THREE: : Jack Gallagher

REASON: He's exactly what wrestling needs, if you've seen him wrestle then you know what I mean. Always puts on great matches every single time, and although he's spent much of this year in japan, he's representing the UK very proudly while doing so. Also, had a cracking match .vs. Cj banks at Infinite last December

VOTE ONE: Jack Gallagher

REASON: Absolutely fantastic wrestler. Has managed to develop himself a look that works and a style that manages to engage audiences even without much of an ability as a talker.

VOTE TWO: Damon Leigh

REASON: Able to change his style to suit at the drop of a hat, can be placed anywhere on the card and will always bring what that position needs. He'll never be out of work in the UK for just that reason. Doesn't always get the credit he deserves, but is actually one of the best wrestlers in this country.

Vote One:

Kid Fite

Amazing talent never not enjoyed his matches. Is just as good in single matches as he is in a tag team.

Vote Two:

Paul Malen

Solid wrestler, so underated should be seen more.

Vote Three:

Kay Lee Ray

Fantastic talent, is slowly changing people ideas on Female wrestling!

Archived