Mel Smith Dies

EdgarTheSlouch

• Paid Members

Looking at the tiny writing on my phone screen I thought the topic was 'Mr Seven dies"

I watched a terrible film he directed about bowls with Dennis Pennis and Vince Vaughn in it years ago, I stuck the director's commentary on about half way through and I assumed it didn't work as there was silence for a good 5 minutes before he finally said "I don't really have much to say about this bit" (or something along those lines) it was the worst commentary ever.

His ugly face was definitely frequently on my TV as I was a kid though, has he done much in recent years? Hope he got to chill out a bit with his millions before he died.

The police interrogation one where they edit it together really badly to form a confession (before the simpsons did a similar thing with Homer on Rock Bottom).

There was one I've seen only once where they play a couple of ticket inspectors working for BR. Never found it on the tube. RIP Mel Smith. S&J was great.

Though I haven't seen any full episodes in years I seem to be in the minority that think that Colin's Sandwich was one of the funniest show.

The episode where he is driving from a petrol station and finally opens up about the death of his father talking away about how he finds in hard to grieve only to find, after driving for ages, that he left his wife behind and has been chatting to himself is amazing and few actors would have been able to pull it off that well.

There isn't a sick punchline coming at the end of this but his death reminds me of ECW similar to when Gary Moore then recently James Gandolfi passed away. In the earlyish ECW TV show videos I have there is a Public Health advert featuring an overweight black man who is playing with a really young girl who it is left up to the viewer to decide whether it is his daughter or grand daughter. Captions mention how he is her favourite person and that she thinks the world of him but the one problem being that she will never have any memory of him with the implication being that he had passed away. There follows some statistic about heart conditions taking men, particularly those who have health issues, well before their time. It's an incredibly powerful message and one that I have always thought could maybe strike a chord were something similar to be shown in the west of Scotland.

Again, I am not trying to be sick and it seems the poor man didn't have personal issues to deal with but like the two other deaths I mentioned there is something doubly sad when a reaction to a death involves people saying that it isn't really a surprise.

Archived