My Lost Years

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

I haven't been round these parts lately. Mostly because I stopped watching wrestling.

I mentioned a few weeks back that I used to work for Silver Vision. For a WWE fan since age 10 that's pretty much a dream job, and it was. But you know what? After a while, the saturation completely burns you out. Living and breathing WWE, watching new stuff & any classics is all good, but after a while you just become completely indifferent to it all. So when I left Silver Vision in 2010 I went cold turkey. Didn't watch a thing.

Come 2013 and I'm clearing out DVDs, I start watching WrestleMania III and IV. And realise I want to know what's going on, as I've not paid attention to wrestling sites etc.

When I quit NXT was about to debut. Now I tune in and it's a tidy little program. And there appears to be new talent galore! I've gone back and caught up on WrestleManias and Rumbles, and fuck me if indie darlings CM Punk and Daniel Bryan aren't practically top of the tree. Unbelievable. Triple H apparently has cemented his political position at the top of the table. Mark Henry is still being pushed. And who is this Alberto Del Rio tosser and why is WWE so high on him? He has no ring presence and not a single move or style that I can recall after watching a few of his very high-profile matches.

On the back of this post I checked out Money in the Bank 2011 and despite not knowing the backstory I was completely hooked on Punk - Cena. What a fantastic match, truly remarkable. On the edge of my seat the whole way through.

So educate this turncoat. What else is must see from WWE 2010 - 2013?

• Paid Members

Thought Survivor Series & TLC 2011 really finished the year strong. S.S had a Rock return and lively MSG crowd.

Catch the 2012 & 2013 RAWS after Mania too.

RAW 1000 is good for nostalgia.

• Paid Members

Check out the build to Punk-Cena for MITB. It was quite magical at the time. Watch the two MITB Ladder matches from the same show, they were blinding. Cena and Punk from Night of Champions last year was good too, the promo in the lead up featuring Bret Hart being even better and the whole thing having some great nods to events from the year previous. Watch their Raw match before this years 'Mania.

Also, 100% seek out the story of HBKs quest to get a re-match with The Undertaker at WrestleMania. Most notably through checking out Royal Rumble 2010, Elimination Chamber and the next nights Raw.

Seek out heel Batista. Greatest man that ever lived.

Undertaker vs Triple H from WrestleMania XXVII is probably my 2nd favourite match of all time now, only behind Hart vs Austin, WM13. Check out the incredibly simple build to that too.

Check out the Nexus debut.

The Miz' rise to the top was incredibly well handled and his series with Jerry Lawler was a right treat.

Daniel Bryan in January of last year was fantastic, his WrestleMania gave him a great moment which went on to establish and evolve the character you see today.

Mark Henry opened up the hall of pain in 2011 and charged people for using air. He was remarkable.

Orton vs Christian was a right nifty little series.

Frankly, you've missed some good shit. Wrestling has been great.

• Awards Moderator

Some ace suggestions so far, thanks. I caught up with Raw 1000 which was fun for cheap pops but nothing else. Astonished how much people are going for Henry. He's been poo for too long, stinking up the joint with the same shtick. Surely? What's different?

Kevin Nash and HHH burying Punk was the highlight of 2011. Watch that.

Ta very muchly, super-duper appreciative, but I don't suppose you can narrow the dates down even a teensy bit? Or the show it was on? Can be hard to search for otherwise.

• Paid Members
Astonished how much people are going for Henry. He's been poo for too long, stinking up the joint with the same shtick. Surely? What's different?

He'll split your wig if you're not careful. His trash talking is the greatest thing ever in wrestling, no exaggeration. His feud with Big Show was wonderful. That reminds me, check out Sheamus vs Big Show, from last years Hell in the Cell. Sheamus was cringe-worthy in anything that didn't involve him wrestling a wrestling match last year, but when it came to the actual wrestling matches he was one of the very best.

• Moderators
Some ace suggestions so far, thanks. I caught up with Raw 1000 which was fun for cheap pops but nothing else. Astonished how much people are going for Henry. He's been poo for too long, stinking up the joint with the same shtick. Surely? What's different?

Kevin Nash and HHH burying Punk was the highlight of 2011. Watch that.

Ta very muchly, super-duper appreciative, but I don't suppose you can narrow the dates down even a teensy bit? Or the show it was on? Can be hard to search for otherwise.

Nash's super return was during the summer of 2011. From Summerslam or so.

Mark Henry's been the best thing about the WWE since about 2011, but he was decent enough from 2009 or so when he was in ECW. Basically in 2011 they just pushed him as a killer and his fantastic ability to portray that character through his style of wrestling and his amazing promos pulled that off with aplomb. He had quality matches with people as diverse as Big Show, Sheamus, Punk and Bryan, and even had a decentish one with Khali. His trash talking was out of this world too. Saying things like "If I charge for air, your ass better keep your bill paid". Pretty much all of 2011 was his year.

Also, watch absolutely anything of Chris Masters face run from 2010-2011, it was out of this world. Especially anytime he was in there with Drew McIntyre.

Archived