Right place, wrong time...

Cobra1000

probably been done to death I guess but oh well.

So, WWE had an article on 10 forgotten Tag Teams of the past and in it they claimed that Power and Glory could have been something decent were it not for the arrival of the Legion of Doom. Is this just wwe.com being all whacky and just coming up with random things, or am i reading too much into it? Then they said the Faces of Fear were destined to become one of WCW's top Tag Teams but just as they had momentum the NWO showed up.

Is there any truth that Power and Glory were really going to be pushed, cause apart from the finisher Im pretty sure everyone thought they were shit.

Any other examples of this you can think of where someone is really picking up momentum, then something else comes along and they are forgotten about?

• Paid Members

I'm certain Power and Glory were only formed to be fed to the LOD. Its not like there's been any grand master plan for them that has come out since. Demolition weren't taking those huge bumps from the top of Animals shoulders. Somebody had to. The tag division was on its arse on the heel side when Power and Glory formed. Who else was there? The Orient Express, The Demolition B-squad and Power and Glory. If you aren't breaking through those jokers, you were pretty much shagged. The Nasty Boys and the Natural Disasters killed off Power and Glory more than anything. And they were only dafted in because Power and Glory had wrestled the LOD a million times.

As far as this thread goes, every top worker from the late 80s/early 90s would have probably had a run with the WWE title at some point if they were around now. Perfect, Piper, Jake Roberts, Ted Dibiase, Scott Hall. They'd have all swapped it a few times.

• Moderators
Faces of Fear were destined to become one of WCW's top Tag Teams but just as they had momentum the NWO showed up

DOn't see that. There was Sting and Luger, The Road Warriors, Steiners, Harlem Heat, Blue Bloods, Nasty Boys, Public Enemy and probably a few others I forgot about knocking around during that time. Don't see the Faces of Fear getting too far.

• Paid Members

They had relic Jimmy with them as well. Jimmy Hart had the opposite of the Midas touch in the mid-to-late 90s. It was like "just put them with Jimmy, he'll ruin their career no bother". He managed some fucking shite in WCW. At one stage the Giant turned face and Jimmy Hart was still heel and we were encouraged to just forget Jimmy was there.

• Paid Members

You mention the LOD, well, Demolition were fucked the second they arrived.

I always thought Scorpio could have been a much bigger deal in his Flash Funk run, had the WWF not been spending so much time on the Rocky Maivia push, literally from the day they both debuted on TV. In hindsight it was obviously the right move, but I don't think Flash had all that much of a chance. I know he wasn't exactly forgotten about and hung around a couple of years, but as talented a performer as he was (and is) I thought it was real bad luck that he didn't achieve more.

Also, I think nobody gave a shit about Taz after the Radicals turned up. Which was terribly soon after Taz' debut. Unlucky.

So, WWE had an article on 10 forgotten Tag Teams of the past and in it they claimed that Power and Glory could have been something decent were it not for the arrival of the Legion of Doom.

Sounds like bollocks. If they were that high on Power & Glory then they could have been the ones to relieve the Harts of the belts and drop them to LOD.

• Paid Members

I remember Power & Glory absolutely destroying The Rockers at Summerslam 1990. If that wasn't a team that was getting the big push, I don't know what is. On a high-profile team (at the time) at Survivor Series 1990 too.

Rhythm & Blues also got shafted because of the LOD coming in. A lot of teams were, supposedly. I bet the Bushwhackers were too.

Also remember, the PAGs (I like that) vs the LOD match at Wrestlemania 7 was cut short because of time constraints.

• Paid Members
I remember Power & Glory absolutely destroying The Rockers at Summerslam 1990. If that wasn't a team that was getting the big push, I don't know what is.

Whilst I imagine Power & Glory were probably picking up the win there somehow, the format of that match was surely dictated more by Shawn's knee injury than any long-term booking plan?

Plus, in 1990 particularly, sneak-attacking one member of a team with a weapon before the match starts to allow you to have a 2-on-1 advantage says more "these are sneaky, cowardly bastards" than "these guys are a true force to be reckoned with", I'd say.

I think the arrival of Nexus hurt Sheamus and Evan Bourne. Sheamus was trying to find his footing as top heel, when one of the most impressive debuts happened and he was instantly just a bloke on the card. Bourne was up there main eventing as Cena's mate as well, and then he was just forgotten about. Here's the Cena/Bourne vs Edge/Sheamus tag match the week before Nexus came:

Dan Spivey as Waylon Mercy in 1995. He was simultaneously too early and too late.

Too early because the character would have gotten over a few years later in the Attitude Era, and also nowadays. Look at Bray Wyatt.

Too late because by the time he came in, his knees were all broken. You need 1990 Spivey in 2013.

Also, you've got a post-stroke Terry Gordy coming in as the Executioner in 1996. Gimmick's not great, but if it was played by 1990 Gordy, the one who's clotheslines look less like 'I am performing a professional wrestling move called a clothesline' and more like 'I am going to charge at this motherfucker and clunk him as hard as I fucking can with my extended arm, in order to win this pro wrestling match, get my winners' purse, and spend it on Jack Daniels'? Better. Just miles better.

I remember Power & Glory absolutely destroying The Rockers at Summerslam 1990. If that wasn't a team that was getting the big push, I don't know what is. On a high-profile team (at the time) at Survivor Series 1990 too.

Rhythm & Blues also got shafted because of the LOD coming in. A lot of teams were, supposedly. I bet the Bushwhackers were too.

Also remember, the PAGs (I like that) vs the LOD match at Wrestlemania 7 was cut short because of time constraints.

I've always found Power & Glorys' WWE stint to be fascinating for some bizarre reason. The office had faith in them and their matches to deliver and they even closed a number of house shows because the quality was so good. Heck if memory serves me correctly they even closed one show with The Bushwhackers though that would have been more for feel good factor than anything else, but still..

As far as getting a big push / created for LOD destruction or whatever, after being started off as faces (even doing the ice cram bar ads) they quickly went heel against The Rockers with that being the main 'work rate' (for lack of a better term) program booked for the house show circuit during the summer. Again, the office had a lot of faith in what would be the quality of their matches on the road, however Shawn's injury put an end to that which is why the SummerSlam match goes down the way it does. Shawn on the day said he couldn't work the match but the office asked him if he could just get down to the ring, so Animal strapped him up as he said he had experience in doing so and they did the match the way they did. That's why they don't really run down the aisle and you can actually see Shawn limping so the director cuts away from Shawn who you don't really see again until he's already down.

The summer season of matches ended up being a mixed batch, sometimes either Herc or Roma would work Jannetty in singles matches or P & G would work tags against job guys or The Hart Foundation or The Bushwhackers. When Shawn returned they then started the series off with them, most of the time the matches would go to a non finish or a DQ but as time went on they began trading wins. P & G were booked strong again at Survivor Series with Martel's "Visionaries" team going 4-0 over Jake Roberts "The Vipers" which again included The Rockers but this was mainly for the benefit of having a 5 on 3 main event where they were fed to Hogan and Warrior in The Grand Finale Match Of Survival with Hogan doing the no-sell of The PowerPlex. Bastard! ;-)

P&G "graduated" from The Rockers series when that came to its natural end and ended 1990 on the losing side of the house show circuit series with The Hart Foundation who were Tag Team Champions at the time.

After debuting, LOD spent the summer in a series of matches with alternating members of Demolition (sometimes 6 mans with Warrior on side vs Ax, Smash & Crush) and ended the year working the circuit with The Orient Express.

As far as I'm aware, Power and Glory didn't work LOD until 1991. P & G mainly worked The Harts Jan - Feb bar the odd match with LOD. In fact I don't believe LOD and P&G really worked a house show series at all bar the odd match here and there, it's just their WM match really fooking killed them to the viewer although WWE were now in a transitioning phase with its tag teams, The Harts were splitting up, Demolition were on the way out, Nasty Boys had come in, Earthquake and Typhoon were being put together, The Bushwhackers were there as the fun yet sympathetic fodder, The Orient Express & The Rockers were programmed together until The Nasties dropped the belts, The Beverly Brothers were coming in - an argument could be made for turning P&G babyface but it was The Rockers and The Bushwhackers jobs to set up challenges for LOD and a third team for doing that wasn't really required.

Additionally, Hercules and Roma were both seen as 'go to' guys for singles matches to bulk out house show cards. Hercules working with guys like Neidhart, Valentine and Virgil where as Roma was put in with guys like Steamboat and Santana.

I was always a fan of P&G, the summerslam 1990 match being a favourite, the crowd reaction is certainly interesting as P&G had a lot of vocal support in the audience that night and it's possibly the best 2 on 1 match you'll ever see. Its a shame they ended up the way they did but also easy to understand why.

• Paid Members

Sure, they were put with the Rockers right out of the blocks - their very formation was centered around a little misunderstanding they each had with Shawn & Marty. And they went over the Rockers at every opportunity, but that was nothing more than to make them look strong - "get them ready" for the Harts, once the Harts got done with Rhythm & Blues.

Even before the Nasty Boys arrival I mentioned earlier, if Herc & Roma were thought of highly enough, they could have been the ones to take the titles off the Harts on the ill-fated 30th October Fort Wayne taping and carried on working Shawn & Marty every night for the titles - but even though Power & Glory vs The Rockers would have been the program on the house shows for the belts with the Harts splitting and Neidhart leaving (they thought), they still didn't choose to make Power & Glory win the titles on TV and gave the nod to the babyfaces instead. Bare in mind, that tag team title match was filmed before but would have aired after Survivor Series, in which Power & Glory were scheduled to look strong against The Rockers again. The timing would not have been better for them to take the titles in a match planned to air 4 days after Survivors then continue their planned program defending them against The Rockers, still out for revenge. That they didn't tells me something about what management thought of Herc & Roma - they were designed to be decent challengers, they were never going to win the belts.

Plus, in terms of going over strong on The Rockers - that's what the Rockers were for. They made the heels look good before they ran against the babyface champions. They got the Twin Towers ready for Demolition, they got the Brain Busters ready for Demolition, they put Power & Glory on the map, they lost to the Natural Disasters on TV in late '91 because they were about to work LOD. Only once in those four instances did the heels actually go on and take the belts. They were the tag team equivalent of Jake's famous line about getting heels ready for Hogan.

• Paid Members

The Power & Glory/LOD match was actually cut down, because Roma had an arm injury and Herc was suffering a groin tear. I liked P&G, good little team. It gave Herc a few more years of good paydays.

Even before the Nasty Boys arrival I mentioned earlier, if Herc & Roma were thought of highly enough, they could have been the ones to take the titles off the Harts on the ill-fated 30th October Fort Wayne taping and carried on working Shawn & Marty every night for the titles - but even though Power & Glory vs The Rockers would have been the program on the house shows for the belts with the Harts splitting and Neidhart leaving (they thought), they still didn't choose to make Power & Glory win the titles on TV and gave the nod to the babyfaces instead. Bare in mind, that tag team title match was filmed before but would have aired after Survivor Series, in which Power & Glory were scheduled to look strong against The Rockers again. The timing would not have been better for them to take the titles in a match planned to air 4 days after Survivors then continue their planned program defending them against The Rockers, still out for revenge. That they didn't tells me something about what management thought of Herc & Roma - they were designed to be decent challengers, they were never going to win the belts.

Sure, P&G were basically a team to keep the babyfaces strong, but a notch above The Orient Express so they could still have 'main event' matches with teams like The Rockers and The Hart Foundation.

Archived