Raw 8/1/13 Discussion Thread

Cobra1000

The "Husky" chanters surely have no right to ever complain about the product again. This guy had been re-packaged magnificently and was hardly a famous name in his previous guise. And a vocal portion of the fans shit all over it - after popping like crazy for the entrance! Mind-boggling.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

They haven't shit all over it and I dare say that they don't even see it that way. They just think they're being clever. It's annoying, obviously, but let's not exaggerate.

Do we think RVD will have lost his belly? After being so disappointing in TNA, you wonder if he can still be arsed to present as a star. I reckon he's still got the ability, but he's a lazy fucker.

• Paid Members

^ Yeah, but it was TNA. He'll be motivated, at least at the start.

But the wrestling business is built on exaggeration and has been for the past 1000 years.

Good comeback.

• Paid Members
Do we think RVD will have lost his belly? After being so disappointing in TNA, you wonder if he can still be arsed to present as a star. I reckon he's still got the ability, but he's a lazy fucker.

He's back at the show now, not tossing about in the bush leagues. It's not difficult to see why anyone in his position would lose motivation working for TNA. I expect him to look a lot better on Sunday than he did when he left that mob. Apparently he's been looking good on the indies.

Actually enjoyed the 'reporter going to the Wyatt compound' thing - it was very creepy with Rowan in the garden with the sheep mask on, the 'Obey, obey, obey' and then Bray saying 'Hello, I've been expecting you'. It also had shades of the real-life Jim Jones/Jonestown massacre documentary (although obviously, nobody died).

His final promo and the 'We're here' visual was great and the initial ovation they got was encouraging, I did kinda hope they'd come out and attack Punk and Orton at the end but I guess that would have been a bit too 'Shield'.

Still, goes to show what can be done if you hype a new act properly - I just hope they continue the momentum and don't get bored after a few months like they seem to have done with Fandango.

• Awards Moderator
Haven't watched Raw in weeks but I might stay up and watch it tonight (probably wont get any sleep with a screaming baby anyway.)

One of the upsides of having babies is getting to watch a lot of Raw live (albeit with the sound off :p)

The walk to the ring with the lantern and then blowing it out to signal the attack was lovely stuff.

I haven't seen Raw yet but it sounds like

Huntingpartycap632.jpg

"LIGHT 'EM UUUUUP!"

• Paid Members

The Husky Harris chants were a bit annoying, yes, but on the whole it was a decent job well done, I thought. Far from a disaster, that the 'Universe' (sigh) decided to chant his name, but I feel that will stop in a few weeks. He's got great presence and voice, so I think that will carry him far from the Husky chants in time.

Pretty tame Raw, all in all, but I've seen worse.

Although the Briscoes, in many ways, might seem a good fit for the Wyatt Family; bringing them in straight away would dilute the overall impact of the debut last night and probably harm The Briscoes in the long-run (if they were to sign with WWE). Harper and Rowan, for all their faults, look physically imposing something which their debut made clear. If the Briscoes were added to the mix at this juncture, what would they do? - You can't take the heat away from Harper and Rowan so early on (or, at least, you shouldn't) so the only role for the Briscoes would be as vociferous followers. To draw a comparison, they would be like PG-13 in the Nation of Domination.

Harper and Rowan need to fail in their mission (whatever it is) angering Wyatt in the process. Wyatt disowns them and brings in some new psychotic minions. Enter The Briscoes.

Probably a little too much fantasy booking here....

Anyways, I enjoyed the debut last night. I thought the promo leading into their debut was excellent. I liked the visual created with the old oil lamp (or whatever sort of lamp it was). Harper and Rowan got to attack an upper mid-carder thus making a statement. Attacking Kane also opens up other possibilities, like facing The Undertaker further down the road. However, the Husky Harris chants did spoil the overall aura. I hope that doesn't happen every week otherwise the gimmick is going to bomb quickly.

So whats the chances of Wyatt attacking Kane in the hope that he can brainwash the biggest man in the MITB match, the man that has won it before, so that when he wins it again, he can hand the breifcase over to Wyatt?

A man like him would be great with the Briefcase, the whole stalker gimmick and he wouldn't even have to do the hardwork himself.

I know Bryan is the fave to win it, but he can get a SS match without the case.

I dunno, the whole Kane brainwashing gigs just reeks of Festus.

Doesn't even have to be permanent. Have him hand over the case, then kick him aside leading to a Wyatt/Kane fued and as I said a few weeks back, the Undertaker would be great in the mix at SS. Kane/Undertaker vs The Shield at SS would be a bit of a waste on Taker now I think.

• Paid Members
Although the Briscoes, in many ways, might seem a good fit for the Wyatt Family; bringing them in straight away would dilute the overall impact of the debut last night and probably harm The Briscoes in the long-run (if they were to sign with WWE). Harper and Rowan, for all their faults, look physically imposing something which their debut made clear. If the Briscoes were added to the mix at this juncture, what would they do? - You can't take the heat away from Harper and Rowan so early on (or, at least, you shouldn't) so the only role for the Briscoes would be as vociferous followers. To draw a comparison, they would be like PG-13 in the Nation of Domination.

Yeah, I think you're bang on. Although I did say that I hoped that the Briscoes might be involved, it definitely makes a lot more sense for them to be recruited further down the line. You don't want to blow your load on the angle right off the bat, you need to stagger the big angles to maintain the momentum of the storyline. The Briscoes coming in would make for a really exciting chapter in the future, but for now the original group need to be established.

You have to imagine the Wyatt Family will have some involvement at MitB. I wonder if they will target Kane again? If they screw with that match, the seemingly obvious result of Bryan winning might not be set in stone.

So whats the chances of Wyatt attacking Kane in the hope that he can brainwash the biggest man in the MITB match, the man that has won it before, so that when he wins it again, he can hand the breifcase over to Wyatt?

Kane has won Money in the Bank? When did I miss this?

Archived