Raw 8/1/13 Discussion Thread

Cobra1000

• Paid Members
So, The Wyatt Family are debuting and there isnt any discussion going on. Are you excited to see them finally, or are you tired of the videos and just want them to get on with it? What do they do tonight and how do they debut?

Vickie Guerrero has a 'Job Evaluation' too so hopefully they can finally get rid of the old hag.

Vince says "Vickie, YOU'RE F...", the Wyatt Family come out and attack Vince. Because Vince didn't get through the last syllable, for some reason Vickie keeps her job indefinitely.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, The Wyatt Family are debuting and there isnt any discussion going on. Are you excited to see them finally, or are you tired of the videos and just want them to get on with it? What do they do tonight and how do they debut?

Vickie Guerrero has a 'Job Evaluation' too so hopefully they can finally get rid of the old hag.

Vince says "Vickie, YOU'RE F...", the Wyatt Family come out and attack Vince. Because Vince didn't get through the last syllable, for some reason Vickie keeps her job indefinitely.

Sounds familiar...though why Heyman had an in-ring "evaluation" when he was supposedly employed by Lesnar and Punk as manager made fuck all sense to me.

• Paid Members

They've done the exact same thing with Orton & Big Johnny too. Oddly, all three of those evaluations took place in the final segment of a Raw.during January, so maybe the contractual loophole that requires the boss to entirely & accurately vocalise the firing statement for the termination to occur only applIes then.

• Paid Members
Sounds familiar...though why Heyman had an in-ring "evaluation" when he was supposedly employed by Lesnar and Punk as manager made fuck all sense to me.

In the pretendy world of wrestling, you can only run your managers license through the governing body that is WWE. Same a Heenan, Jimmy Hart and all those other managers. I never got that criticism when it happened at the time. The evaluation was probably Vince going "what the fuck are you doing on my TV show, fat arse?" He could still be employed by Punk and Lesnar, but Vince has the right to tell him to get off Raw.

Heyman and Punk are just mates anyway, they're not in business together! Although that surely contradicts what we were told between SummerSlam and WrestleMania.

If they just come out of the locker room, cut promos and wrestle matches like a contracted WWE wrestler, it'll just be a disappointment.

I know what you mean, and eventually it's definitely going to go that way. It has to. They can put a spin on it, but they're still going to end up as wrestlers on the roster. The Shield are unique to an extent, but they're also just a trio that has matches, cuts promos, and uses Bossman's outfit and Edge & Christian's entrance. These vignettes have given people expectations that are vague, but definitely something other than characters on a wrestling show. It's either gonna be a massive stroke of genius or a letdown for a good few people.

I wonder if they'll close the show tonight. How often has WWE ended the show with something unrelated to the PPV coming up later that week? I know they did it with The Rock on the Raw before Elimination Chamber 2011, but that was The Rock returning after all those years away. I think they've done it once since, but I can't remember when/who.

I'm excited to see what they do. I could see them doing a thing where Bray always gets one of the others to do his match, for whatever reason. But Fandango was doing the new guy avoids wrestling thing not too long ago.

In the pretendy world of wrestling, you can only run your managers license through the governing body that is WWE. Same a Heenan, Jimmy Hart and all those other managers. I never got that criticism when it happened at the time. The evaluation was probably Vince going "what the fuck are you doing on my TV show, fat arse?" He could still be employed by Punk and Lesnar, but Vince has the right to tell him to get off Raw.

Righto. The impression I got from the initial Punk-Heyman conglomeration was that Punk brought Heyman in outside of the traditional wrestling manager scenario (the glimpse of him in the limo, etc). His sporadic appearances as Lesnar's agent before that suggests something similar. Not that it matters much...

• Paid Members
I'm excited to see what they do. I could see them doing a thing where Bray always gets one of the others to do his match, for whatever reason. But Fandango was doing the new guy avoids wrestling thing not too long ago.

And less than a year before him they pulled the same thing with Sandow too.

The thing is, that has sort of been the Wyatt Family's MO on NXT. More often than not, Bray will walk out cutting a promo, then sit back in his rocking chair and watch his followers work the matches. It's Rowan and Harper that are the tag team champs there. It's a gimmick that works, despite Bray probably being the best worker of the three. Erick Rowan is nowhere near ready for main roster action, beyond standing around looking mental. He does that part really well. Once the initial debut angle is out of the way, six man tags with these guys are never going to live up to the standard set by The Shield over the past eight months. That's why I think it would be a bit of a masterstroke to throw The Briscoes in with them.

Haven't watched Raw in weeks but I might stay up and watch it tonight (probably wont get any sleep with a screaming baby anyway.) Really intrigued as to how it will play out. I'm trying not to think too much about what will happen because there's always one fucker on here who comes up with an idea million times better than what WWE will do. It then leaves me deflated at what actually happens. Like the idea at Wrestlemania for Ryback and Henry to fight in a the set destroying buildings made the actual match seem even worse

• Paid Members

Sat through a pretty dull Raw waiting for Bray Wyatt to show up there, but I loved every second of the Wyatt stuff even though the reporter at the compound stuff was hokey as hell. The walk to the ring with the lantern and then blowing it out to signal the attack was lovely stuff.

I also enjoyed Mark Henry as usual, but it's annoying that you can't have slow, measured delivery in WWE any more without the fucking "What?" chant interrupiting it. I knew some dickheads would chant Husky Harris at Bray Wyatt too. I liked that the replay of the attack didn't play the audio so you couldn't hear them the second time. I'd love it if we could just have that great post-mania Raw hardcore gathering and then the look-at-how-clever-we-are vocal smarks would shut the fuck up for the rest of the year.

• Paid Members

Shit Raw from start to finish. Wyatt's entrance was cool but I have no faith the gimmick will go anywhere, especially now he's getting Husky Harris chants. It's a shame most fans are more willing to get themselves over at the expense of promising talent.

Vince is clearly the most likeable one because, to me, Vickie is the sympathy character in all this mess. I know I'm probably the only one but I think Vickie's been great in this, superb actor by wrestling standards. Could have done without Jerry fucking Lawler snorting and chuckling all over the segments.

Could watch Bryan vs Sheamus all day, the two best wrestlers in the world. Was odd to see all the MITB people matches all get clean finishes. Don't know why the Wyatt's didn't come out before Kane pinned Christian. The ending to the Shield match was fantastic. No Ambrose tonight though :( .

That entrance was just perfect. 'Broken Out In Love' may be the best theme music I've ever heard in terms of fitting a character. Or best entrance music full stop actually. The crowd reaction was the icing although I hope the Husky chants fuck off quick time. Would have been nice to see something other than the standard heel beat down with posing but you can't have it all. Kane being the first of the brainwashed makes sense. Can't wait to see more.

The Henry/Cena promo was also great. I can't remember the last time I was this heavily invested in WWE. there's always shoddy things about it but there's plenty of intriguing stuff going on right now. Until they fuck it all up at least. Apart from the terrible Dolph/Alberto bit this was all good.

• Paid Members

There was nothing wrong with the Wyatt debut at all, it was executed brilliantly, but in the end it was a paint-by-numbers midcard heel debut and that has to be seen as disappointing to a lot of people after they hyped the fuck out of these guys for so long.

I don't remember them ever hyping a debut like this before- they played vignettes twice a show, every show, for over a month. They closed the show last week with one and opened the show this week with one. They never do that. Then they build it up throughout the show last night with those WWE.com reporter segments, which were corny but great at further establishing the characters. Then they come out and beat up Kane while fans chant 'Husky Harris'. It felt like a letdown to me, even though it was very good, which is what I feared would happen.

I'm all for them hyping new guys up and creating a buzz about them, but the level of promotion should be appropriate for their position on the show. I think that WWE took something away from a great debut last night by raising expectations sky high. Less would have meant more.

As for their intended target- Kane makes sense, but taking him out isn't much of a statement anymore. Butternut has jumped to the conclusion that they are going to go with a brainwashing angle. I don't know if that's the case, but it seems the most obvious sort of storyline to go with given the gimmick. I'm all for the idea of the Wyatt Family growing as I don't know how far the current line-up can go considering they aren't the best workers.

Despite feeling a little underwhelmed (although not surprised) by the impact of their debut, I do think it was brilliantly done and I can't wait to see where they go with this group.

Elsewhere on the show, Vickie Guerrero's performance was tremendous but I sure won't miss her if the intention is to take her off TV for the time being. Does the McMahon power struggle storyline have any end product? At the moment it all feels like pointless filler, getting them on TV for the sake of it. I really don't know where they're going with it.

Daniel Bryan winning that briefcase suddenly looks a little too obvious, doesn't it?

I liked the RVD rewinds, but I doubt that they will make him look like this much of a big deal once he's actually here.

Archived