Turner and Hooch, The Burbs or Dragnet

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

They are all fucking class. Which one is the best film, though? Tom Hanks is so great. The Burbs is amazing obviously. One of my favourite films. I haven't seen Dragnet in years and Dan Aykroid is in it so thats always good. And Turner and Hooch hasn't hit my player since I was about 6 or 7. It was like seeing a few film. Cracking stuff.

This isn't a thread out of the blue for those wondering. I got a set with all three of these in a few weeks back and only over the last few days have I watched them. They are all still bouncing around my brain.

• Moderators

Easily Turner and Hooch.

A dog, Craig T. Nelson, "This is not your room", and a dog.

If "The Money Pit" was offered in the original question, I may have had to rethink. Christ, I miss Good Hanks. Dragnet nearly won though for this line...

Just me, you, your balls and this drawer.

• Paid Members

NOT SURE ON THE USE OF SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD..

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I remember hysterically crying at the end of "Turner and Hooch" when I was about 12. Big Hooch taking one for the team. So sad.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

For me it has to be Dragnet.

People Against Goodness And Normalcy is the greatest name ever for a pseudo-religious Nazi cult.

If the film was released now there would be P.A.G.A.N. T-shirts everywhere

Both the Burbs and Dragnet are reviewed on the Awesome 80s podcast.

http://theawesome80s.net/?p=2172 - The Burbs

http://theawesome80s.net/archives/2655 - Dragnet

Well worth a listen.

Turner and Hooch, easily. Top, top film that I never failr to blub to at the end. I'll watch that every time it's on.

Dragnet I seem to recall being a bit crap on a recent re-watch, as in it hadn't aged well.

Burbs I haven't seen since I was a kid, so I can barely remember it.

What the fuck happened to Hanks anyway? I know you change as you get older as an actor, but he's still pretty funny in Toy Story, and I wish he'd make a decent comedy again.

• Paid Members

Definitely The Burbs. I bloody love Dragnet as well, though, so it's not fair to choose. Bruce Dern is AMAZING in The Burbs.

"That old fart. He's got the best lawn on the block. And you know why? Because he trains his dog to crap in my yard."

I can't separate The Burbs/ Dragnet. They are both wonderful, wonderful films. Dragnet has Emil Muzz/Non in FFS! I have watched them roughly a zillion times (maybe exaggerating!) and still cant get enough of either. Never really had the exposure to Turner and Hooch, but it didn't click, with the raft of dog based films like K-9, Beethoven etc at the time I suffered with Dog/Buddy Films burn out a bit and they all melded into one.

Favourite Hanks movie? It's probably not his best but I have a real love for Bachelor Party, it's the sort of film you'd get your older brother to tape off tv so you could watch it when your parents were out.

• Paid Members

100% The Burbs for me. Love that film. I'm crossing my fingers Scream Factory get the rights to it and announce a collectors edition Blu-Ray at Comicon this year. Dr Klopec is one of my favourite villians ever. It really is genius and kick started my weird suburbia film fandom. If you want a good night in with mates get some drinks in and watch Hot Fuzz, Eerie Indiana and the Burbs. Cracking fun.

Archived