The Best of WWE at Madison Square Garden

AshC

• Paid Members
They'll chuck Diesel vs Backlund on the DVD surely, won't they? :thumbsup:

Yeah, they should get Nash in to do alternate commentary on that epic as well.

"Hello everyone I'm Michael Cole, joining me for a look back at this title match, one of the participants, Kevin Nash."

"It's nice to be here, Michael."

"And there's the Jacknife! And.... that's three!"

"It sure has been nice reminiscing today."

"For Kevin Nash, I'm Michael Cole. See you next time, folks."

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The Nash title win - did Hart have another bitch fit and refuse to drop the title to him? So they had him drop it to Backlund instead

Jesus Christ.

• Paid Members

Nope, the idea was that Diesel was meant to be the new babyface champ but if he beat Bret fans would resent him for it. It's the same pattern they used for most title changes in the 70s and 80s.

ok, maybe that was the wrong term to use. I've just read Bob Holly's book in which he says Nash and the kliq were a pain in the arse even at that time (his Wrestlemania X tag match got cut at the eleventh hour because the ladder match over-ran, in which he says Michaels & Ramon did so on purpose to get more of their shit in) , so figured it could have been a case of Bret refusing to do the job to Nash

It just seems daft to put the title on Backlund to then have him loose it a few days later on a house show

• Paid Members

Yeah. and from what I gather from Nash's shoot interviews, him and Backlund didn't have the best of matches usually (think he said they switched to him working with Jeff Jarrett on house shows or was that after he won the belt). So I suppose that's why they did it how they did. It made an impact at least.

"Hello everyone I'm Michael Cole, joining me for a look back at this title match, one of the participants, Kevin Nash."

"It's nice to be here, Michael."

"And there's the Jacknife! And.... that's three!"

"It sure has been nice reminiscing today."

"For Kevin Nash, I'm Michael Cole. See you next time, folks."

Exactly. I'd give up that valuable time to watch it.

• Paid Members
Nope, the idea was that Diesel was meant to be the new babyface champ but if he beat Bret fans would resent him for it. It's the same pattern they used for most title changes in the 70s and 80s.

Plus Backlund "injuring" Bret during their already-scheduled title match gave them the perfect reason for Bret not to be on telly during the extended Christmas break back home with his family that he'd wangled. Must have been hell for the Excellence Of Sexecution to have six weeks away from the girl he had waiting in every city. I bet he pined for each of them.

I've just read Bob Holly's book in which he says Nash and the kliq were a pain in the arse even at that time (his Wrestlemania X tag match got cut at the eleventh hour because the ladder match over-ran, in which he says Michaels & Ramon did so on purpose to get more of their shit in) , so figured it could have been a case of Bret refusing to do the job to Nash

Bret was pretty good mates with Kev for a long time and Razor too. He describes in his book when the Kliq was in its infancy they approached him about being part of their group, with the intention being that they all looked out for each and protected their own interests in the face of management in regards to things like pay and programs, but Bret decided he'd rather keep himself to himself because he was wary of the habits Shawn and Razor were getting into, especially Shawn's pill problem. Bret had Bam Bam to much about with, anyway.

Makes sense when you think of the 1995 the respective parties had, with Diesel on top, Shawn there or there abouts and Razor working for the Intercontinental title or pursuing the tag belts with and then feuding with Kid. Bret in comparison had to run repeats with Backlund and reignite his two-years-dead run with Lawler, then kept busy with new characters like Nips, pirates and dentists.

Archived