The Best of WWE at Madison Square Garden

AshC

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't think of a full 20 off the top of my head, but matches that I would like to see included on the set are:

- Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin (Survivor Series 1996), just a brilliant technical match

- Brock Lesnar vs. Big Show (Survivor Series 2002), a fast paced match with Lesnar showing some great power moves

- Kurt Angle vs. Eddie Guerrero (Wrestlemania XX), just reall enjoy the match

- Hulk Hogan/Mr T vs. Roddy Piper/Paul Orndorf (Wrestlemania), purely for historical purposes being the main event of the first WM

- Triple H vs. Cactus Jack (Royal Rumble 2000), great hardcore match and probably my favourite Foley match

As i mention in the UP coming DVD's thread, these matches are already confirmed:

- Matches confirmed so far:

* Shawn Michaels vs. Ramon (Ladder Match Wrestlemania 10)

*A at John Cena's Royal Rumble win

* Match for the Undisputed Heavyweight Wrestling Championship

WWE Champion, Bob Backlund vs. NWA Champion, Harley Race

22nd September, 1980

* Intercontinental Championship Match

Bret “Hitman” Hart vs. “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase

29th December, 1991

* #1 Contender Triple Threat Match

Triple H vs. Kurt Angle vs. Chris Jericho

Raw – 7th August, 2000

which leaves 15 left

• Paid Members

Bret vs Owen from WrestleMania X would have to be on there for me. Fantastic match with a great story behind it and Lawler when he was at his best on commentary, being a bastard to poor old Stu and Helen.

One that probably won't make it but which I also love is D'Lo Brown vs Val Venis from SummerSlam '98. I haven't seen this for years but I thought it was a cracking match. I was a big fan of D'Lo in his European champion/chest protector period and this match is one that always springs to mind for me when the subject of 'Best opening matches' crops up. I might actually watch this today and see it's as good as I remember.

There's probably loads of gems from the 80s-early 90s house shows. I always wanted to see that tag match from early 1996 with Bret Hart and the Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels and Diesel. I'm sure that was at MSG. It was just before WrestleMania 12 and was the match where Diesel turned on Shawn. I'd love to see the full thing. I remember they showed brief clips on Mania or Challenge or whatever the morning show was at the time so they must've filmed it. It was like a dream match to me back then and I really wanted to see Taker and HBK tangle at that time. They were the two big names who had never faced off in that era so I badly wanted to see the match. It's probably knocking about on handheld or something but it would be cool to see a high quality version.

I would add these for the modern ish era.

The Dudleys vs. The Hardys - Tables Match

Royal Rumble 2000

Rey Mysterio & Edge Vs. Eddie & Chavo Vs. Angle & Not Named

Survivor Series 2002

see, I was thinking that too, and would love to see them include Not Named's title win at Wreslemania XX, but theres no chance of it happening.While I know hes included on the War Games set and was on the Elimination Chamber set too, I cant think whether or not he was successful in those matches. Would WWE showing Not Named winning a title be seen as glorifying him? It doesn't bother me, but do you think WWE might get some bad press otherwise

I think WWE can get away with showing him in supporting roles/multi man matches now, but anything that directly revolves around him would be a bad idea as it would be seen as profiting from him in a much more obvious way. For what it would add to the DVD its not really worth the hassle. Including the Wrestlemania XX match would make sense, but its hardly make or break for anyone wanting to buy the DVD. I personally haven't watched a match of his since and don't intend to. His face is just so much more sinister now

• Paid Members

A mention of Bret's name several times already, but nobody has mentioned the Perfect match from SummerSlam '91? That makes me a sad panda.

* The Rockers v Brain Busters (Jan 89) is a great match but they already released it on Shawn's set, likewise the March one (on that tag team set they did) and the Rockers/Harts match in November was on one of Shawn's sets.

* Warrior v Macho Man (Feb 89) is a great match though marred by a non-finish. As seen on the Superheroes tape.

* The Hogan/Bossman cage match (March 89) featured on several tapes, but I don't think has been on a DVD.

* Bret v Perfect (Apr 89) would have been a shoe in, but has already been on Perfect's DVD. Speaking of cage matches, the company always seemed to love the Piper/Rude one. The Savage/DiBiase title cage match too, although that was on Savage's set, and the Savage/Warrior one from Mega Matches.

* Davey Boy vs Hau (Oct' 90) that made the Mega Matches tape is one of the most-bummed matches on here and surely deserves another look on DVD.

* The Savage/Jake match from Jan' 92, just because.

* Hitman and Bob Backlund had a 30 minute match at MSG in June '93, and the mat wrestling pervert in me thinks that would be great.

There's several matches from MSG I'd like to see for curiosity value.

Hogan & Bam Bam v DiBiase & Virgil from early 88.

The Blue Blazer's MSG debut against the Brawler from the tail end of the same year.

Dustin Rhodes vs Paul Diamond (Sep'90).

Hacksaw and the Rockers vs Powers of Pain & Fuji (Feb' 90) sounds fun.

I liked the Perfect/Tornado matches, there's one from October '90 that has never been released though one from the following month has.

I also thought Bulldog and Warlord had better matches than they should have, and there's one of theirs from the Garden.

Kid vs Doink from August '93 because both were great.

Quebecers vs Adam Bomb & Bam Bam the month after because Bomb & Bam Bam get the odd run out as a team in my Hasbro fed, and because heel vs heel always fascinates me.

Owen vs Marty Jannetty babyface v babyface (Nov 93) might be worth a look.

Bret and Owen had a 25 minute title match in May '94. Gimme!

The July '91 show also has three matches on it I'd like to see - the Harts last match together against the Nasty Boys, the Warrior/Undertaker body bag match (curiosity) and the Jake/Earthquake match, just because it was so rare a "good guy" actually got to pin the fat twat.

Wasn't the Hogan/Bossman cage match on the Hogan Ultimate Anthology DVD?

Would love for them to release the Piper/Rude cage match. Not seen it in years and its great. IIRC Rude does two splashes from the top of the cage and they do the feet hitting the floor at the same time spot to perfection.

Could include the Savage/Warrior one, even it was only out on the recent Greatest Steel Cage Matches set

Would love for them to release the Piper/Rude cage match. Not seen it in years and its great. IIRC Rude does two splashes from the top of the cage and they do the feet hitting the floor at the same time spot to perfection.

Forgot about that one, it's terrific.

For historical significance, these two have gotta be knocking around any list -

iron-sheik-bob-backlund.jpg

hoganvsironshiek_34746.jpg

• Paid Members

Not splashes, the "landing on the flats of your feet" variety of fistdrop. The first of which lands, the second of which misses, sparking Piper's comeback.

Not splashes, the "landing on the flats of your feet" variety of fistdrop. The first of which lands, the second of which misses, sparking Piper's comeback.

Thanks for clearing that up. I've not seen it since I was about 8 but good to see it is the match I was thinking of

Archived