Radio UKFF/Podcast

PowerButchi

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

In all seriousness, I think this has potential, but as a wrestling podcast first and foremost. That's the common interest and I honestly think that there are smarter fans on the forum than a lot of those that run pretty popular wrestling podcasts out there. If it turns into an audio version of the chatroom, it'll probably suffer the same fate. The only people bothered about it will be the few people that have posted in the thread so far.

• Paid Members
In all seriousness, I think this has potential, but as a wrestling podcast first and foremost. That's the common interest and I honestly think that there are smarter fans on the forum than a lot of those that run pretty popular wrestling podcasts out there. If it turns into an audio version of the chatroom, it'll probably suffer the same fate. The only people bothered about it will be the few people that have posted in the thread so far.

I was thinking have a show focused on the week in wrestling, hosted mainly by the guys who watch it regularly (and are actually worth listening to, no twats allowed), something like Ian's done with the Indy Wank stuff, as that will go down a treat, then other shows can be non-wrestling related as well, depending on what people want to do (I'd happily do the Desert Island Discs thing again that I did on RadioScum and Demon FM).

• Paid Members

There's tonnes of entertaining on-topic stuff you can do. Reviewing old shows, whether good or bad, is an obvious and simple idea, and indeed there are a number of podcasts out there that do just that. Just this week I listened to the Place2Be guys revisiting the 1999 'Heroes Of Wrestling' PPV, which was fun. You just need a few people on the line, everyone lines up YouTube (or whatever) so that they're watching at the same pace, and away you go. The conversation inevitably goes off on tangents all over the place, but that's all part of the fun.

Then you can do shows based on current events (previews/reviews of PPVs, Raw, SmackDown, Impact, whatever). That's dead easy to set up and will probably have the broadest appeal.

What I like is the idea of using it as an extension to the forum. If a thread pops up which generates a really interesting discussion, that might spill over into the podcast, or vice versa. Stuff like ShortOrderCook's '100 matches you need to see' thread. You could easily use that for podcast material.

The UKFF's top hundred wrestlers too (would love that to be continued as it was a great read). Would shows be edited after recording? I think that would be best or else tangents can drag a bit too long. I'd like to see opposed opinions too. I listened to a start-up one recently where everyone agreed with the host and it was dull as. The tattooist would offer a different spin on something compared to, say, Butch.

Maybe experiment between format and free-for-all? I would think a format would be good, especially as no one knows anyone particuarly well on a personal level. The best rapport is between mates as they're on the same wavelength.

• Paid Members

I think the main question is what can it offer that other podcasts dont. Will it be done in a structured magazine manner, or will it be a couple of blokes waffling on giggling about in-jokes that non-board members, and a lot of actual board members will have no idea about.

I listen to a load of podcasts on different subjects. One that grabbed me was about the old adventure gamebooks. Never noticed one on that subject before. Downloaded it and it was a complete prickfest. Could have been so good, but it was just a few people arsing about.

Thats the decision that has to be made by the peple doing it. Professional or arsing about style?

I'd suggest editing it before it goes out, unless all the people have the same smooth charm and ease of words as Joe Kinnear. Otherwise there'll be a lot more ums, y'knows, dead air, etc. The football pod I used to edit took a good 3-4 hours of editing for a 45 minute show. I'd recommend keeping it around 30-45 mins (deffo no more than an hour) - if you're going to grab the casual listener, they will be put off by the length of the recording (or maybe that's my short attention span - same difference). Also, it's nice not to worry about committing too much of one's life away when you go to listen. And break it up into 3 or 4 parts.

Easy! Honestly, I think it's a good idea and I'd listen. Hit me up if you want further low-rent advice about producing low-rent podcasts. We'll always have the "interview with Jim Beglin"...

Archived