Jackie Fargo passes away

JNLister

• Paid Members

His family just confirmed it on Facebook. For those who don't know, Fargo was the forerunner of Lawler as the babyface star in Memphis from the 50s through 70s. He then genuinely passed the torch to Lawler, losing to him in a match with the "King" title on the line. He was brought back as a manager in the 80s with the Fabulous Ones and doing the odd six-man here. He also did the Fargo Strut, which influenced both Flair and Jarrett.

RIP.

Sad news, I was only talking about when he'd bring Roughhouse into town the other day as well. A great loss. RIP.

Aye a great loss, one of the biggest names in the Memphis/Southern areas. Wasn't the gimmick with Roughhouse that he was actually a ref in another promotion and he came in every now and then.

Sad loss indeed.

On a related note I'm rewatching 1997 Raws at the moment and Lawler and McMahon just referenced Jackie Fargo with King - despite being in full heel mode and doing the anti ECW feud during this particular segment points out how Jackie Fargo is his favourite wrestler which considering the time was something that stuck out to me as being clear just how much he truly did mean to Lawler.

• Paid Members

Been interested in the guy since Lawler put him over so heavily in his book and I saw him on Memphis Heat a month or so back, apparently he was 85 so it was a good innings. Good worker who influened alot of future talent and I know this is always trotted out in these situations but he really was an innovator in alot of ways. Madness how him and Lawler were pretty much the two main major players in a territory from the 50's to the 90's and Lawler was his protege. As already mentioned the roughhouse gimmick was hilarious and legit drew alot of money in Memphis up until the 80's.

• Paid Members

Twitter tribute from Lawler:

@JerryLawler

Without the Fabulous Jackie Fargo, there would never have been a King Jerry Lawler. RIP Jackie.

@JerryLawler

My friend, father-figure and mentor, Jackie Fargo died this morning. He was the best!

BNhutZjCcAAmks0.jpg

Fargo legit looks like my Gran.

Archived