Deathmatch Interest Thread 2 (NSFW)

Richie Freebird

This years King of the Death Match was a lot more enjoyable than TOD. There were a few times when I had flashbacks to 2001, watching death matches on VHS, which is a positive in my book. Things like Corportal Robinson coming out to Left Right Left, which I havent heard for years, almost made some parts feel like an old school IWA tribute show. The inevitable, drawn out Ian Rotten promo at the end of the show also made things feel old school. Throw in some Necro or Nick Mondo, and this would have been even better.

Thinking of which, surely there would be money in a 'legends' deathmatch tourney. Ian Rotten, Necro, Pondo, Wifebeater, Mondo, Homeless Jimmy, Zandig, etc. Wouldnt be pretty, but Id make an effort to watch it.

A few observations:

- Mitch Page has become morbidly obese.

- Freakshow has lost a lot of weight.

- The tourney features Tremont a lot, which is no bad thing.

- Ian Rotten, wearing bright red trackies and tee shirt, is doing the ring announcing, and lingers around the ring at all time.

- The show is held in the car park of a strip joint, with a basketball hoop near the ring that seemingly cant be moved.

- Corp and Freakshow have a fun Fans Bring The Weapons match. No story, no selling, just hitting each other with a load of shit. Sometimes you just need to see matches like this.

- It suffers, like most deathmatch tourneys, by fizzling out by the time you get to the final. Theyve already blown their load on the previous rounds, so the final is underwhelming.

Still worth watching over TOD, though. Have been making my way through the Queen of the Deathmatches that was held the same day, and its been shit so far.

• 2 years later...
  • Paid Members

sorry to dig up an old thread but i thought it would be appropriate for this thread...

Japanese Deathmatch legend Mr. Pogo died yesterday aged 66.

I'm pretty sure anyone who tape traded back in the 90's had their fair share of grainy VHS Pogo footage.

KanemuraPogo5595.jpg

RIP you crazy bastard.

After only seeing images and low resolution real media video clips of him I made him my main CAW on the early Smackdown games, he seemed like the baddest fucker alive. The luster was washed away after seeing him in actual full matches and my attention turned to Onita and Hayabusa but there was always a soft spot for the bloke.

Thank god for Mable Mania (Maffew?) on Youtube, so many of these old deathmatches are uploaded there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX7pqi-GoCc

• Paid Members

Are you thinking of Hayabusa? He's the only FMW regular I know of getting paralysed from a bad bump - he passed away last year, sadly.

FMW was the beginning of me realising there was a huge, wide world of wrestling out there, and stuff like that photo of Mr Pogo was a huge part of its appeal. Never underestimate the appeal of amazing photos in magazines, and scans on Geocities websites, in getting a wrestler over without the kid looking at it ever even seeing them wrestle.

3 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Wasn't he paralysed in a bad fall during a match, or am I thinking of somebody else?

Yeah he went headfirst into one of those pit of dooms with all the barbed wire, bombs etc sure it was against Funk on one show? I remember reading about it in Powerslam. I think he lost feeling in his limbs at that point but wasn't paralysed but he injured his neck, I remember Funking blowing a fireball at him while he was laid out too :laugh:

I remember buying one of the FMW Kawasaki shows back in the day from GWI or who ever ( 96 or 97 ) which was great or so I thought at the time I've not seen it in years. The main event was Hayabusa & Tanaka against Pogo & Funk ( I think ) which I remember thinking was great at the time, Cactus Jack was on the show too if I remember correct on loan from WWF for some reason

Edited by Kamaras-Tash

• Paid Members

Pogo usually got off pretty light in his deathmatches, his schtick usually revolved around him handing out the punishment (usually to Matsunaga). I know the bump your talking about when he dropped down into the pit of exploding barbed wire. 

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Pogo usually got off pretty light in his deathmatches, his schtick usually revolved around him handing out the punishment (usually to Matsunaga). I know the bump your talking about when he dropped down into the pit of exploding barbed wire. 

Then there was the time he straight up poured petrol on Matsunaga's head and literally set it on fire.

Did any deathmatch fans see John Zandig's GCW Tournament of Survival II show? I hadn't watched any shows in probably a couple of years prior to this, but Pogo's passing got me thinking about the old scene again and I decided to check out one of the summer Tournaments. The show was actually pretty insane. I think it marked only the second time I've seen human suspension performed as part of a pro wrestling show. There were razor boards, boards mounted with actual wood saws and even the weed whackers were out, all in the first round alone. Some decent names from the deathmatch scene turned out for it too, as well as an unexpected but crowd-poppable run in and promo from bizarre lunatic Teddy Hart. I'd fully recommend giving it a look if you enjoy the wilder side of deathmatch tournaments.

I think you'll enjoy the Zandig show. It certainly proved an entertaining riot for me. This year's Carnage Cup has also now been, as has the King of the Deathmatches tournament. I hope to see them all eventually, as the GCW Tournament of Survival II show certainly reminded me why I have been so entertained by this style for so many years.