Deathmatch Interest Thread 2 (NSFW)

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
I hope there' no permanent damage here and Necro can recover to lead an active, fulfilling and pain free life.

I very much doubt that. He's fucked physically. You can't take all those bumps and walk away. Back in in the mid 2000's he was taking top rope bumps on to concrete weekly. The guy is a mess. He's aged about 30 years in 10. Numerous wrestlers have said in shoots about how bad his bumps have affected him.

• 4 weeks later...
Is this Peter B Beautiful the same Peter B Beautiful who got an absolute an utter mauling at the hands of Ian at the 2001 KOTDM? Surprised he was invited back to an IWA card. Shoot or not, the original was a brilliant deathmatch squash.

Well, it looks like the same guy. He too though is a lot, fatter now than he was back then (though he was already a right old pork bucket back in 2001). He was doing the same flamboyant, pink wearing gimmick as he was back then. Now that we have Jimmy Feltcher doing the "obese ponce" gimmick in the deathmatch world, I don't really think we need another man doing the same thing.

I have no idea what Peter B Beautiful been up to in the meantime, but his back and shoulders were fucking caked in scars. I'll endevour to write up the original match when I finish with this card. Free time is a currency I'm almost bankrupt of these days though.

Interestingly, amongst many other irrelevant wrestling photos, Google images gives you this little beauty if you type his name into the image search. I thought it was too good not to share.

ma1_zps52e2beff.png

• 1 month later...

Got bored, decided to watch a load of FMW stuff mainly involving Onita who ran the company. I'm a novice in terms of having seen clips of this stuff, but I found a list of recommended matches and thought I'd give it a go.

Atsushi Onita vs. Tarzan Goto

It's not technically a deathmatch, but it's anything goes, so I suppose it counts. We start with a deep thought promo from Goto outside the arena. Even though it's in Japanese, this was a really cool way to put over this match being a big deal. The match is a standard brawl, but Goto makes it great. The two of them trade headbutts, clashing against each other loads of times so stiff it gave ME a headache. Really wouldn't happen nowadays. Nowinski would be heaving. I love Tarzan Goto, he has a one shoulder leopard skin leotard on and is a proper savage, choking, stomping and headbutting the life out of Onita. Onita does colour within about 45 seconds of the bell ringing. Goto nearly decapitates a cameraman trying to throw a table at Onita. This was really just a fun-as-hell typical 90s Japan brawl, with Onita winning after three powerbombs, a piledriver and a brawl. You've seen it before, you'll see it again, but I enjoyed it, damnit!

Atsushi Onita vs. Tarzan Goto - First Time No Rope Exploding Barbwire Deathmatch

This takes place in what looks like a giant open warehouse/factory thing, which is odd. You can tell this is the first ever match of this kind, because both men are incredibly green to this type of match. You don't realise how small a ring actually is, until you can't touch the sides. Onita in particular constantly finds himself rolling to the ropes and trips the charges by accident on several occasions. The first time it happens, you'd think the crowd had just witnessed a sniper attack on Onita. In terms of using the gimmick, they clearly weren't sure what to do, but the fact they kept tripping the wires by accident kind of added a human quality to it that a lot of these matches tend to lose. The match itself was pretty devoid of action, as both guys worked a submission-heavy match in the middle of the ring, avoiding the ropes, with lots of restholds and a figure four that genuinely lasts about two minutes. I had listened to a recent Review-A-Wai where they mentioned that when Flair worked Japan, the Japanese didn't subscribe to the strategy of reversing the Figure Four by turning it over. It just wasn't something they did, so it was interesting to see Onita try to reverse the lock on Goto, only for Goto to roll him round 360 degrees and counter the pain back onto Onita in one fluid motion. The match built to one big spot when Goto went into the ropes spectacularly. It was an interesting match for the novelty of this first time gimmick, but I'm sure the matches will get better once Onita and co. figure how to incorporate teases more and use the ropes more inventively. Onita looks like he wants to jack in wrestling and go work in an office doing accounts at the end of this. He looks as if his house has blown up and he has escaped from the wreckage, but his family are still inside. What a showman.

Atsushi Onita vs. Tarzan Goto - First Time Electrified Barbed Wire Cage Match

This is clipped inventively, which I suppose really works from this sort of grimoire VHS spectacle wrestling.The board I got this list from also had a post from a guy who worked in a videp shop and begged his boss to get in FMW tapes for ages. When they finally got them in, he noted that the covers with blood, gore, fire and explosions on it would be rented out constantly, whereas the tapes with people like Hayabusa in standard poses collected dust on the shelves. Says it all really. If it's positioned next to the WCW and WWF stuff, that's incorrect, because it should be over in the dark corner with Cannibal Holocaust and those Faces of Death tapes that were full of footage of executions. This stuff is made to be high-impact and high-energy, so showing a full 15 minute match isn't as visually striking. Cage looks insane as we see clips of it being built. Clip is six minutes long, but it's stitched together so well with a load of cool angles that you don't ever feel like you've missed anything. There's still a few diddy errors from Onita tripping charges by accident, but it doesn't set off the whole thing which is good. Goto staggers about and teases falling into the cage for a massive reaction. When we finally get the long-awaited bump when Onita gets on Goto's back for a sleeper, only for Goto to run himself into the cage, it looks AMAZING. Extra credit to the referee who sells every explosion with a massive dive to the ground, even when he's miles from it. He really added to it. Onita won, as he always does in these types of matches, but in reality the result means very little. The clipping meant it didn't drag and you could see they were getting a better hang of the explosives. The camerawork really put this over as some sort of seedy, underground Kickboxer-style tournament to the death, which is exactly how it should be portrayed.

Sabu vs. Hayabusa

And on the other end of the spectrum, here we have a case of really bad editing killing a match's flow. Hayabusa was the traditional hometown babyface hero, Sabu was an utter fucking madman who was on the right side of reckless. This was just a bunch of spots, with a lot of downtime cut out. There wasn't really much time to let things breathe. I think if I was watching this first time when it came out on VHS with no prior knowledge of either of these guys, this would have blown my mind, but after watching 10/15 years of Sabu matches, this wasn't as great as I expected it to be. Sabu did all his usual spots, while Hayabusa tried to fight back with his own style of offense. It was interesting to note that Sabu tried to ground Hayabusa, trying to take him down by the legs, from the very beginning but once it got going, there was nothing as technical as even a takedown. I really enjoyed the Sabu suicide dive into a seated Hayabusa's lap, and Hayabusa nearly broke Sabu's jaw with a VICIOUS roundhouse kick, but apart from that, there wasn't much of note here from Sabu. The crowd was dead when they weren't busting out the high moves. After a leg drop through the table, Sabu spent the rest of the match verbally selling his injury to his back shouting "OWWWWW! MY BACK!" over and over again, making him sound like my 60-year-old father-in-law and not like a homicidal, suicidal, genocidal maniac that superglues his own wounds together. Hayabusa looked absolutely brilliant, winning with an amazing shooting star press, but Sabu kept writhing around, looking like he was having a seizure, as the referee made the count.

Atsushi Onita vs. Tiger Jeet Singh - No Rope Exploding Barbwire Deathmatch

Tiger Jeet Singh is the son of WWF failure Tiger Ali Singh. He cuts a promo in English that is less intelligible than the Japanese ones about how he will defeat Onita and become Japan's Number 1! He waddles like the Iron Sheik at Wrestlemania X-7. We see some amazing shots of the ring, the wire and the charges, and it all looks like a macabre intro to coverage of the PGA Tour, with some amazing parping synth sounds specifically designed to be narrated over by Peter Alliss and shots of fans and camera crew. Onita has a vignette where he's the silent badass getting ready in the locker room. This is in a proper baseball stadium, there must be at least 50,000 people here. We have fucking HELICOPTER SHOTS of the crowd. Outside of Wrestlemanias and Summerslam '92, this may be the largest crowd I have ever seen at a wrestling event. Tiger Jeet Singh comes out and starts throwing THE BARRIERS AT PEOPLE IN THE CROWD. There are police out there to stop him. He's waving A SWORD about in people's faces. Singh enters the ring and immediately hammers Onita repeatedly in the face with the sword before throwing him into the wire straight away, to the horror of the crowd. We get a helicopter shot as the smoke bellows around the arena and into the sky. Singh hammers more with the sword and grinds it into Onita's face, the referee tries to stop him and Singh levels him! Back to the sword handle shots, and Onita is sent into the ropes again for another MASSIVE explosion. The referee is thrown halfway across the ring and looks to be dead. Onita is pissing blood and this is literally about two minutes in. No accidental tripping of charges from Onita here at all. We spend the next five minutes with Onita unable to stand as Singh has finally been relieved of the sword. Singh chokes Onita with various restholds and jab at his face with a corkscrew bottle opener as Onita manages to battle out twice, only to be floored yet again by Singh. Onita spends a grand total of about 20 seconds on his feet during this portion. He sells it as if he's on his deathbed, gasping like he has a collapsed lung, and really builds this one up amazingly to the point where you're just WAITING for Singh to take that big bump and when it finally happens, the crowd becomes UNGLUED. Onita hits his finisher and gets the victory before collapsing. Singh is not happy and starts attacking Onita, hitting him a shot to the face using the point of the sword! Tarzan Goto comes along and fights off Singh. Singh leaves the ring and attacks the manager, before going for random spectators! Onita looks like he's waiting for someone to dictate his epitaph. Singh cuts a promo backstage saying he wants a rematch where he can snap Onita's legs and that he is still number one. Onita gets an incredible fan reaction as he's carried out. We see him trying to crawl to his dressing room as the press conduct an interview. Onita answers their questions despite being unable to walk. What a guy. Photographers take hundreds of pictures as this guy lies on a doctor's table. We cut to a final aerial shot of the massive stadium, as what sounds like the theme at the end credits of Yoshi's Island blares out. Absolutely amazing. I can't put over how massive an occasion this felt. Onita is just Hogan with C-4 bumps. This is how you work a deathmatch, make the fans yearn and ache for that big blowoff bump. If you are used to watching Man Man Pondo take boxcutters to the face in a school in front of 23 people, this will blow your mind.

The Gladiator vs. Masato Tanaka

The Gladiator is Mike Awesome. We've all seen the great match at One Night Stand. This was nowhere as good as that. There was clipping, but it literally looked like they cut out nothing. It looked like a two-second fade to black, only to return where they started off. This one actually had English commentary, and I didn't care about this match at all. It was alright, but they've had better matches and they were going for a straight Japanese wrestling match with minimal brawling. This must have been after Onita retired because thee announcers mentioned that FMW was "focused on an athletic martial-arts style of pure wrestling" which is bollocks, because we all watch FMW to see Onita being blown up. I know after he retired, they moved away from the massive dangerspot matches, but I have no interest in seeing that. There's tons of companies doing this stuff in Japan. This has none of the wacky insane charm that I love from FMW. No reckless endangerment, no nonsensical editing, no big time clash feel. YAWN.

Megumi Kudo vs. Combat Toyoda - No Rope Exploding Barbwire Deathmatch

I've seen this match and it's fucking brilliant, so I wanted to watch it again. This is Combat Toyoda's retirement match. Both women cut a promo beforehand saying about how, for the first time ever, they are not going into a deathmatch with a sense of hatred or vengeance. They are going to put their bodies on the line to make the best match possible, invoking the spirit of Onita, and give a performance that leaves them with no regrets. Toyoda is one mean-looking lass, in the vein of Bull Nakano or Kharma. He should looks like she could rip your face off. Toyoda comes out to Onita's theme tune, Wild Thing! Once again, we're in a huge arena, indoor this time. Toyoda looks like she's about to cry at the emotion of it all, which is quite odd to see from a massive beast like herself. They spend five/ten minutes before they even take a bump, with a thousand really well-done teases. Unlike the first match with Onita and Goto, where they worked a very confined match, rarely venturing to the sides of the ring, this saw both women willing to take the risk of going near the ropes, in the hope they could throw the other one into it. American promotions could really learn a lot about pacing their matches and how to build tension towards spots from this match as they do it really well and really treat the ropes like they'll be killed if they touch them. Once they both finally hit the ropes, it frees them up to concentrate on working a more Puro style, with a large portion of the match seeing the ropes not coming into play, as both women trade multiple near-falls. Toyoda's husband is in the crowd. The poor guy's nearly in tears as he watches his missus blow herself up and get dropped on her neck several times. By the time we get to the big finishing spot, a German Suplex into the ropes with an almighty explosion, you'll be watching this behind from behind your fingers. When the match finally finishes, both women are so broken that they lay motionless. Onita comes out and tries to wake them yp by throwing water on them, but Toyoda is so out of it, he has to carry her on his shoulders to the back. Quite simply, my favourite Women's match of all time and one of my favourite deathmatches.

Atsushi Onita vs. Tiger Jeet Singh - Jungle Deathmatch

Jeet's back! This match is another No Rope Exploding Barbwire Deathmatch, but this time it's set in a jungle. Singh tries to attack a cameraman and fails. Onita dominates early on, so much so that Singh slides under the ropes and explodes himself, because he's a knobhead. Back in the ring and Singh just mauls Onita with the sword, before throwing him into the ropes for a few weak bumps. Onita sizzles like a steak when they bring it to you in the Harvester. Singh gets the victory in nothing more than four minutes. This match was pretty pants. They could have easily went wandering in the jungle for a brawl or something. The bumps were poor, Singh used about two moves the whole match and it was way too short. A lot of people bag on Jeet for being a rubbish wrestler, but I don't know. Maybe the stars aligned in that other match to make it so perfect and that was the only time he was decent. The icing on the cake comes when both men brawl after the match and they fall on a landmine, which with the miracle of video editing, managed to send Onita flying at least 30 feet in the middle of the ring. COME ON. This was so poor, I feel I need to end the night on a better note.

Atsushi Onita vs. The Great Sasuke - Exploding Ring Deathmatch

The gimmick here is that as well as explosive ropes, we have landmines on the outside and the ring is literally a ticking timebomb. Heavily clipped again, this was still a fun match. Both men take bumps into the ropes, with Sasuke being launched stunningly into a corner packed with more explosives than a CZW show at a state armoury. Onita manages to luck out after taking a kick that sends him into the ropes, but they don't trip and he falls out... BUT LANDS IN A STRIP OF LANDMINES. You win some, you lose some. Sasuke does an insane dive over the barbed wire ropes that really could have went horribly wrong. Onita wins the match in the end, before grabbing the referee and covering both him and Sasuke as the ring goes up in flames like a chip pan trying to deep fry a bottle of gin. Great match, even if the editing was mince.

• Paid Members
Is this Peter B Beautiful the same Peter B Beautiful who got an absolute an utter mauling at the hands of Ian at the 2001 KOTDM? Surprised he was invited back to an IWA card. Shoot or not, the original was a brilliant deathmatch squash.

Well, it looks like the same guy. He too though is a lot, fatter now than he was back then (though he was already a right old pork bucket back in 2001). He was doing the same flamboyant, pink wearing gimmick as he was back then. Now that we have Jimmy Feltcher doing the "obese ponce" gimmick in the deathmatch world, I don't really think we need another man doing the same thing.

I have no idea what Peter B Beautiful been up to in the meantime, but his back and shoulders were fucking caked in scars. I'll endevour to write up the original match when I finish with this card. Free time is a currency I'm almost bankrupt of these days though.

ma1_zps52e2beff.png

I didn't even think Peter B. Beautiful was a deathmatch wrestler, i thought the beating he took from Ian Rotten was it for him...that thing was fucking brutal, Ian was legit trying to kill him with them chair shots.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Richie you going to reviewing cod?

Time is a currency I'm twice bankrupt of these days. I haven't even watched this year's Carnage Cup or the Tournament of Death, which used to be 2 massive occasions in my annual calendar. In fact, the last time wrestling was on my screen at all was when I wrote the (still unfinished) IWA:MS review above.

That being said, former UKFF'er and all round good guy Stormy Weathers gave me the iPPV of the Cage of Death for Christmas, so I might write up the main event match if I ever get a spare night in the next week or so. The Cage of Death 6 review I did in the old version of this thread took me about 3 nights, from finishing work to going to bed!

Sorry to bump up this thread but is Rory Mondo retired now?

Rory Mondo has indeed retired from professional wrestling and went on a bit of a world tour holiday to celebrate.

• 5 months later...

Anyone watch this years TOD yet? Thought it was forgetable. No matches/bumps stood out at all. The selection of matches/stips seemed to be very weak, as well. Looks like hardly effort/money went into it. The main thing I took out of the whole thing is Tremont has gotten very fat. He was never exactly trim, but he seems to have really piled on the pounds since the last time I saw him. Maybe hes already broken down. He seemed to push the craziness and insane bumps moreso than the others, so maybe its catching up with him. There was also no commentary, so you could clearly hear the 'hilarious' comments of several fans who must have been near some mics.

Final spoilers:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Ive been making my way through a Masada/Kasai deathmatch pack that I downloaded months back, so Ive got a lot of their matches fresh in my head, and this one was probably the most forgetable of the lot. After recently watching the insanity of that FREEDOM no mat match they had, this one was always going to disappoint I guess. Even still, it was fairly plodding, where they did the crowd brawling part for what seemed like 15 minutes. You cant also tease near falls in a Scaffold match before the scaffold has been used.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by Dai