Deathmatch Interest Thread 2 (NSFW)

Richie Freebird

Ouch that's gross, but it's funny how people think this is some new phenomenon as if death matches haven't been going on since the 90's.

GCW is a weird promotion, wants to see itself as a class above your CZW's and IWA Mid South's but it's the same old shite really, you just get Jeff Jarrett or X Pac in the odd main event.

I fucking love gcw but that was fucking so stupid. Those large light tubes seem to be so much more dangerous than the normal ones and seeing slade see hoodfoot fucking pissing blood out of his arm and continued to push forward was reckless and fucking stupid 

• Paid Members

3 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

so stupid

dangerous

reckless

fucking stupid

Sums up a lot of "deathmatch" wrestling in general.

Don't get me wrong, I'll enjoy watching it but I do so aware it's stupid, wreck less nonsense and 8 times in 10 the people doing it are dumb, reckless cunts. 

Masashi Aoyagi, a Karate fighter that helped start what would become FMW has passed away. He was Onita's first feud back in '89 when the company was more focused on Pro Wrestling Vs Martial Arts and helped draw a very solid 4000 people for the first ever show.

• 1 month later...

TRIPLE POST!

But I only just heard that Onita has been in the US wrestling Bubba Ray not once but twice this year, has anyone seen these matches and are they worth tracking down? I'm surprised he didn't do a one-shot for AEW, even with that awful explosion last year he'd never turn down the payday.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Merzbow said:

TRIPLE POST!

But I only just heard that Onita has been in the US wrestling Bubba Ray not once but twice this year, has anyone seen these matches and are they worth tracking down? I'm surprised he didn't do a one-shot for AEW, even with that awful explosion last year he'd never turn down the payday.

I'm pretty sure Feinstein is behind them, so I've given them a wide berth, but I'm tempted to check out the most recent one - it's Onita & Super Leather vs. Bully Ray & PCO, which is some real EWR booking on display. Same card has Ken Shamrock vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr, so it could be an enjoyable shambles.

• 1 month later...

TAKATaichiDespeMania, the big show from TAKA Michinoku's recent promotion had what a fuck tonne of people are calling the best deathmatch ever with Jun Kasai vs El Desperado. I'm disappointed in myself for being like a week late for this but man.. there's one specific visual alone which is out of this world.

46 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

TAKATaichiDespeMania, the big show from TAKA Michinoku's recent promotion had what a fuck tonne of people are calling the best deathmatch ever with Jun Kasai vs El Desperado. I'm disappointed in myself for being like a week late for this but man.. there's one specific visual alone which is out of this world.

Came into this one completely blind really. But fuck me those guys managed to play a blinder. I usually hate those sorts of matches but the level of emotion during and after the match was off the scale. The crowd certainly helped too.

• Paid Members

got a link to the match?

On the seedier, scummier side of things, did anyone see Angel is doing a Deathmatch at an upcoming XPW show? I have no idea if Angel even wrestled post-original XPW but if he's coming back i'd imagine he's going to do something crazy. I genuinely thought he was going to end up dying in a match back in the day.

Screenshot_20220918-181836_Instagram.jpg.af77f5529eab50e1729613b51f8d4b81.jpg

• Paid Members

Was hard to follow the emotion fully without subtitles or English dubbing. Personally I couldn't get past the visual of a board full of upturned knives. It's hard to suspend your disbelief and get into a wrestling match when someone essentially has a legit deadly weapon at their disposal. My brain can't compute any way in which a weapon like that could be used in a wrestling match without immediate fatal consequences. Each to their own though. 

I watched it, and whilst it was good, I wouldnt class it as the best ever. To be fair, I went into it cold, so maybe there was some grand build up to it, which of course would of made it much more engrossing and entertaining. For me, your random BJ, Freedom, GCW death match main is not too disimilar to this.

Fair play to Taka, he seemed to draw a very nice crowd to this show. Havent watched it yet, but am looking foward to watching the match with Dick Togo, Gedo, The Great Sasaki, Cima, Taka and Kaz Hayyashi. Proper old school match! Im sure this is the same building too that there were a bunch of Michinoku Pro shows from the 90s that popped up on the Japanese Compiliation VHS's.

Thanks Ebb for pointing out that Angel/Shlak match, will definately be checking that out. Youre right, some of those bumps he did were insane. Check out this bunch of madness. That powerbomb spot still may be the most insane thing Ive seen, its amazing they hit it perfectly, otherwise he genuinely could of died from it (11:30 of the second vid)

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Dai said:

I watched it, and whilst it was good, I wouldnt class it as the best ever. 

I'm the same. I think what stopped me getting totally engrossed was the very open blading, where they just casually put the blade back in their pockets afterwards. I know it's a deathmatch, guys, but come on.