Deathmatch Interest Thread 2 (NSFW)

Richie Freebird

On 12/13/2021 at 7:42 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

This seems appropriate to post here. Grim incident yesterday. The photo of the ref is horrid.

Another video of incident 

Hannibals take on it

Edited by Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete

• 1 month later...

I've been listening to the Way Of The Blade podcast a lot recently. It's hosted by Phil Schneider of Segunda Caida/DVDVR. He has great guests (Necro Butcher, Tony Khan, Dustin Rhodes) and really interesting discussions on there. A recent episode with Jimmy Jacobs had some mad stories, including him demonstrating blading during a lecture in front of his class. 

I don't always agree with the kind of wrestling Phil likes (hard punches and workrate-y) but I had to check out a match they talked about on the last ep.

It's from an extreme Mexican promotion I haven't heard of before - Zona 23. The show takes place in a literal junkyard. The match is between 69 year old Black Terry and 64 year old Mr. Condor. They beat the absolute shit out of each other. There is a lot of blood, and I don't even know what causes them to bleed half the time. It is wild! 

Edited by Ro_y Disco

• Paid Members

I haven't listened to the podcast, but I've read the book - similarly, don't always agree with his tastes, but he writes well about the matches he likes, and some of them sound bonkers. I need to work my way through the whole list sometime. 

I've never been able to bring myself to watch a full Zona 23 show, as it veers a little too close to snuff movie territory for me, but you can't deny that it makes for some incredible visuals, so I've watched their highlight videos a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, didn't he have/had cancer? There's a vid you can find on YouTube of his CZW Hall of Fame where he looks in rough shape, to the point they've disabled comments. There was also that match with Shlak where he looked really bad too. 

I watched the first rebooted XPW show and it was awful, and had about 30 people there. The end of the show was some Russo-riffic BS with Rob Black booking himself as the focal point. Wouldn't have done much to convince people to watch the next show, that's for sure. 

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Dai said:

I watched the first rebooted XPW show and it was awful, and had about 30 people there. The end of the show was some Russo-riffic BS with Rob Black booking himself as the focal point. Wouldn't have done much to convince people to watch the next show, that's for sure. 

I followed it on twitter, it looked a shitshow. There were no actual XPW alumni on the show either so it just resembled any other random indie in a mostly empty building. The deathmatch show i may end up checking out though.

• 1 month later...