Deathmatch Interest Thread 2 (NSFW)

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Box cutters, electric saws, stanley knives, someone getting their finger cut off...?!
I may be turning into a grumpy old man but, seriously, is this not all getting way out of hand now?

Obviously yes, but this is barely even traditional deathmatch wrestling at this point. It's just crackhead mentals cutting eachother up in public. I don't think it's comparable to the deathmatch stuff GCW, CZW, BJPW does. 

the other day i was cleaning out my cupboard with all my wrestling stuff in it when i found a un opened package that had 50 dvd's in those see through slips, anyways the dvd's contained a bunch of mr pogo stuff, some early early czw stuff (jun kasai) a bunch of Japanese wrestlers fighting in a house and a bjw tournament which resulted in some fat guy having a match with a octopus then cooked it later on.

pretty sure i got it from here because it was like the same style of packaging when i used to order those sets from the classifieds, anyways whoever it was, cheers and i shall enjoy it.

3 hours ago, Cannibal Man said:

He did a US deathmatch tournament in 03, forget which company but he was there with Pondo who tries to get him to cut a promo after a match and he just gives it a "I DONT SPEAK....ENGLISH!!" and fucks off

most likely iwa-ms

By complete coincidence, I've just discovered a podcast called History of FMW. On most podcast platforms and also YouTube. The later episodes have branched out into other Japanese deathmatch promotions, including Freedoms. They're up to 2020 now, so could be a good starting place. 

I've been obsessed with John Rare since reading on here about the Finger Incident (why does deathmatch wrestling love to call them 'incidents'??)

Here is a long bit I wrote about John Rare:

Spoiler

I only knew Rare from that time he stabbed Spidar Boodrow with a boxcutter (the Stabbing Incident?) 

Trying to find out more about what actually went down at this year's Carnage Cup, I found Rare's YouTube account. 

https://youtube.com/channel/UCnQOuLd_cLYBZvIomTj3uQw

He fashions himself as "John Rare Films" and a lot of his account is filled with 4 hour music playlists with about 20 views each.

A lot of the wrestling content is Rare filming his telly playing other people's deathmatches and providing commentary over them. Completely unwatchable. 

There's also home movies of him with his kids. He seems like a damn nice guy in these videos. It's a weird and uncomfortable watch though. Personally, I don't think his family stuff should be on the same account. 

Thankfully, there are a couple of his matches on the channel and these aren't just recorded off t'telly. 

------

The first is the Saw 3 deathmatch, against Spidar Boodrow.

https://youtu.be/EBFgG_U6hug

I remember reading on here about this match and show. I guess there was a Saw 2 as well, but never seen it talked about. 

Again, Rare provides commentary and mostly talks about how fucked up his body was in this match. Head shakingly idiotic stuff. A fairly poor match, as both guys are too injured to do much. 

Watching this match, I realised I got Rare and Boodrow mixed up in my head. I thought Spidar Boodrow was the thin one. I think I was confusing him with Spyder Nate Webb. Why can't wrestlers spell spider? 

------

There was also this match I watched on Rare's channel, a Flaming Barbed Wire match vs Jeff Hart.

https://youtu.be/p_3SkxAsB9w

Shockingly, Jeff was not gifted his surname by the Hart family, nor does he utilise any of the catch-as-catch-can style. 

The ring is set up in a literal cul-de-sac. I cannot get my brain around how a show like this takes place. I couldn't imagine walking out of my house to find a burning wrestling ring set up on the communal park. Madness!

The audience consists of family, curious locals and more children than should be at a show like this. Do you have to buy a ticket for a show like this?

The match is terrible but kind of endearing. My favourite bit is an older lady who wanders around ringside occasionally pouring a huge bucket of water onto the canvas to stop the ring from burning down, as chunks of flaming fabric fall from the razor wire onto the mat.

And here are my thoughts about the match itself:

Spoiler

Last night, I finally watched the Spiral deathmatch itself. Rare and whoever else is involved with IWA DS have done a shockingly good job of keeping footage off the Internet and promoting where to find the video. Fuck that thought! I found a dodgy Russian stream of it. 

The show again seems to take place in some community area. I wouldn't say there was a good setup for the show, but there was a lot of stuff everywhere and it was an okay production. 

Kris Kloss of XPW and WSX fame is on commentary. I enjoy his work, surprised to hear him commentating on something like this. 

The deathmatch definitely lives up to its billing. It was actually a really good Southern deathmatch for the most part. 

Blaine Evans' tweet read as the "incident" was payback for a stabbing in a previous match. Nope, it happens 2/3 of the way through this match. Rare stabs Evans in the FUCKING ARM with a boxcutter. 

This itself was actually payback for Evans stabbing Rare with a boxcutter earlier in the match. Blaine stabbed Rare in the MOTHERFUCKING STOMACH. He's wearing a black tee so you can't really see it and no one sells it. FFS. 

Commentary implies Rare regularly stabs people with boxcutters. I image for IWA DS fans, this is "Abyss and his thumbtacks" levels of desensitisation.

Also, there's a board of boxcutters in the ring, just in case there weren't enough in the match already. The board falls into the flaming razorwire ropes and sets alight. Someone bumps gingerly onto the burning blade board and I cannot blame them for that. 

There are also multiple spots with rolls of firecrackers. Scary stuff. Rare covers his ears when he lands in a pile of them going off and forgets to sell for ages. Can't blame him, but why bother doing something so dangerous that you can't sell it? 

Finally, the finish of the match. The bolt cutters have been on the ring skirt since before the match started. Just in case anyone still believed this was a shoot maiming. The cutters were teased once, early in the match.

Evans has the cutters. Rare is on the mat. Rare is faffing around doing something. There's clearly some fuckery going on here. He looks like he's pulling his finger. Then the "incident" happens. The cameras don't really catch it. Quick 1-2-3. Rare immediately gets up and runs to the back. Again, why do something so agonisingly painful that you stop selling a whole deathmatch?!?  

There's a new video on Rare's YouTube where he talks to the camera with his finger heavily taped up and he is very cagey about the whole thing. He barely sells the story line that someone shoot cut his finger off. 

Verdit: definitely a work, I think Rare really had his finger end removed, but there was something odd about how it was done. 

Will the whole story come out eventually? Maybe. Do many people care? Probably not.