Deathmatch Interest Thread 2 (NSFW)

Richie Freebird

If anyone remembers any of the notorious matches between John Rare and Spidar Boodrow (most infamous for the Stanley knife in the arm incident), that feud was supposedly closed out for good at the Carnage Cup. The two men engaged in 3 separate matches, culminating in a no mat, no rope, flaming razor wire and light tubes match. Razor wire is a terrifying prospect at the best of times, without going to the extreme of setting it on fire...

Over the course of this feud, these men have used knives, saw blades, razors boards, electric saws and power grinders on each other, among other things. They finished it off for good with a bump from a ladder set up into a paddling pool full of exploding fire crackers.

cc1.thumb.png.f6a9a7b382cf7d90485bde8dff4d9e04.pngcc2.thumb.png.57a88f89d5ca9468366ecaaf783be440.png

4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Richie, do you subscribe to the Muttonandtheham youtube channel? its Japanese deathmatch central, great channel. Christ, id have saved some money if id have youtube back in the day.

I haven't seen the channel but I'll check it out, thanks. Any particular recommendations? I haven't seen anything from the last few years really, so I've likely missed some good material.

34 minutes ago, lightningxlock said:
 I know it's always had that grimy, low budget quality to it but this years version is basically just a bunch of hack n slash yarders with only 1 or 2 names.

I thought the lineup was pretty much what you'd expect from a Deep South deathmatch tournament, to be fair. One could argue that the likes of Freakshow, Tank, Boodrow, Rare and Tremont are all relatively established names, at least within the Deep South deathmatch scene. Granted, outside of that small niche, those names mean very little, but for this kind of show, I found the lineup to be fine. I always saw the Carnage Cup as placing more value on the ridiculous weaponry and stipulations than star power.

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, SBD said:

What Matches are considered the best or must see

Must See?

The most obvious is Cactus Jack vs Terry Funk in a No Rope, Barbed Wire, Explosive Barbed Wire Board, Time Bomb Death Match.. I'd say it kicked off a lot of peoples interest in this garbage that I'm fond of.

John Zandig vs Sick Nick Mondo from CZW's TOD 2 is probably the first truly infamous post-2000 US match, it has what's still likely the stupidest spot ever.

There's a Necro Butcher vs Mad Man Pondo match from IWA-MS I'd look for too, it was a 200 Lighttube match or something along those lines. It gets a tad gross.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

It gets a bit melodramatic, and Nick Mondo strikes me a bit like Bowling For Columbine-era Marilyn Manson in coming across as just intelligent enough to mask the fact that he isn't really saying anything of substance, but if you have Amazon Prime, there's a Nick Mondo documentary called "The Trade" that's a decent primer for post-2000 deathmatches without having to sit through a bunch of matches before you've figured out what's what.

There's a Cactus Jack/Terry Funk compilation on Prime too.

• Paid Members

yeh ive seen/listened to a few Nick Mondo interviews in recent years and hes tried to figure out the reason for him getting into deathmatches, i think he ended up talking bollocks but its interesting stuff and he always comes off like a good guy. He's currently doing stuntwork for movies.

It's amazing to see the resurgence of Nick Gage, it's not on a PCO level but he seems to be pretty in demand on the indy circuit these days. He's really a one of a kind wrestler, there's a sense of realism there you just don't get with many guys and he genuinely seems like a mad 'ard bastard.