Best In The World

The Hitman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I haven't seen Lawler prior to being a commentator, although I have some vague recollections of some great insults towards the Hart family from the 90s and more clearly in my brain, his crusade against ECW, so that covers the promo/character aspects. When it comes to his wrestling, I've only seen him against people like Tazz, Michael Cole, Al Snow, Coach and The Miz. I've always thought, "pretty good for a 60 year old", especially compared to how Flair and Hogan move around, but I'd never considered him as one of the all time greatest. Butch, can you link some clips to back up your high opinion of The King for the less informed of us?

• Awards Moderator

How do people judge the 'best ever'? Amount of quality matches? Career achievements? Are you suppose to factor in stuff like promos, character and drawing power?Wouldn't a list of your favourite wrestlers be more fun? Or is that the same thing and am I being a drunk knob.

Ian's doing a countdown of our 50 favourite wrestlers. Granted, it's stalled at about number 14 but I will never lose hope he'll finish it, it was a superb thread.

Its dawned on me that I dont think I've seen anything other than a great performance from RUSH all year. Even though I can't think of a single stand out match he's had he's frequently the best thing about the matches he's in and just always gives a spirited and intense character driven performance. Even when that Nakamura fella half arsed it a few weeks ago Rush still had entertaining moments. He's like a pissed off Cena, he's a technico who just gets hated on by the crowd despite giving 100% every time he steps into the ring and he just runs around being angry. One of his taunts involves him imagining kicking his opponent's head off. If it wasn't for the way CMLL booked I think he'd be the man in Mexico right now, and I dare dare say one of the most consistent guys around anywhere.

• Paid Members

I've been lucky enough to see Devitt in person twice at ICW. Needless to say, he certainly knows his way around a ring - both times he totally tore the house down. And that double foot stomp of his is a thing to behold live. Phenomenal wrestler, hope he makes it to the WWE some day. I can imagine him fitting into that Benoit/Punk/Bryan role perfectly.

Archived