Best In The World

The Hitman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm gonna go for someone a bit different. I believe he has always been on the verge of being the greatest, in some people's eyes he possibly is and I'd have to agree.Kurt AngleFor me, he has given me everything I could want from a celeb/wrestler. He has been an incredible athlete on my screen for about 15 years. He has given me a laugh during his comedy 'milk' days as well as converting to a pure nutcase.He has been part of some very fun and memorable big time feuds throughout his career.He is a bit crackers in real life which in turn amuses and intrigues me. He'll always be seen in my eyes as a top dog, who deserves to have another big feud in WWE should he want it.Yeah, after thinking about what he has done, and may still be able to do. I'm shooting for Angle

Kane.He can play any role that's asked of him, from the demonic monster to the silly comedic skits. He can have solid matches with anybody. He can move better than most men his size. He has that intimidating look. He's done it for such a long time. He's grown older but it hardly shows (the mask helps). He still wouldn't look out of place with the WWE championship around his waist. He's humble enough to put the new lads over.(it might have something to do with the fact that Kane's my fave wrestler of all time that I've chosen him)

I am shocked it took so long for kurt angles name to come up. When you think of potential dream matches angle comes up a lot. Imagine him against bryan or punk. Would be amazing.I have watxhed many great mayches an many great wrestlers. But as many have said its all about consistency. Night in night out for me it would have to be between punk and bryan. For most of the reasons that have already been mentioned plus they two wrestlers who i actually dont fast forward through on tuesday mornings before work.

• Paid Members

He's not really a full timer now, though. For me, you have to be in the mix throughout the full year to be considered the current best. In a one off match, Angle is still as good as any of them, though. He's much smarter than he was these days. He'll do 6 months in tags, then he'll have some time off, then he'll do the big PPV matches. Cutting his schedule down has improved him immensely.I hope Kurt comes back one of these days. He's perfect to do a Triple H schedule in WWE. There's so much money on the table for him in WWE against the likes of Punk, Bryan, Cena, even Curtis Axl. He's another bloke who's done everything he can do in TNA. With this admission he's going to go for another 4 years, I think he's looking at making a comeback. He doesn't seem to be a pilled up embarrassment anymore either, so his chances are much better than they were. It used to be mad how all his major offenses landed when his contract with TNA was up for renewal. He might have been back now if he wasn't such a fuck off for years.

• Paid Members

It's mad to think he's still going so strong when you consider how shocking and sudden his WWE release was and the controversy surrounding it. I'm glad he has though. I really don't want Angle to be a wrestling tragedy. Olympic Gold Medal athlete to that would be horrible. I think he'll end up and finish his career in WWE. I reckon deep down that's what he wants. Jeff will probably be back eventually as well. The time away from WWE and returning strong with hype would have turned out best for them long term. They could probably do some sickeningly good business if/when they're back.

I don't watch WWE at all, so can't comment on their talent.Aries was looking THE man for a short time. Booking seemed to kill that.There's a lot of Tana-love in Japan & he's very useful for bringing in the female / kids audience, which is great for business. For me, his performances are very solid, if slightly predictable at times, particularly against lesser opponents. How Okada went from being a whipping boy in TNA to a bona fide suparstar I have no clue, but glad it did.Shinsuke Nakamura is the guy I'd put at the top of the tree. Hasn't had too much of a look-in with the IWGP Tilte of late, but he's not the sort of guy who necessarily needs to have a Tilte & I guess New Japan know that. Stick him in with Sakuraba or whoever and he'll invariably look great.In terms of Juniors; Devitt, Low-Ki & Kenny Omega deliver on a regular basis, though I couldn't comment too much on the latter's work in DDT, as I've not seen so much of that.

Shinsuke Nakamura is the guy I'd put at the top of the tree. Hasn't had too much of a look-in with the IWGP Tilte of late, but he's not the sort of guy who necessarily needs to have a Tilte & I guess New Japan know that. Stick him in with Sakuraba or whoever and he'll invariably look great.

I don't know anything about him in Japan but in his favour is his versatility as he was a load of fun in CMLL. One of the very few New Japan imports to impress in Mexico, and to me, that ability to adapt to different environments counts for quite a bit. Conversely, the seemingly much lauded Tanahashi and Devitt were as dull as dishwater. Neither of them left much of an mpression at all.

For me, Minoru Suzuki is the best guy out of Japan right now, I like Nakamura a whole bunch too but Suzuki always seems to put on a great show. I haven't watched a ton of lucha like I have in past years, but Negro Casas has looked pretty great, and I've dug Rush plenty. Overall, I'd probably rate Cesaro as the best in-ring guy right now, but if you wanted more of a complete package then Daniel Bryan takes that. Certainly don't see how anyone could consider Kurt Angle for pretty much any year, let alone 2013.

Yeah, Casas has been pretty good this year, his match with Dorada perhaps being the stand out but there's been other good matches as well. Rush is a great performer, although perhaps hasn't had as much of a stand out match.

I'm still saying LA Park's the best man in Mexico right now.

• Paid Members
Certainly don't see how anyone could consider Kurt Angle for pretty much any year, let alone 2013.

Even if he isn't your cup of tea, its pretty easy to see why someone would considering his body of work and the universal praise he had as an all-rounder. He had a match with Matt Morgan which was Tom McGee/Bret Hart level shit. Morgan blew up and the crowd turned on him and it was still a belter.

• Paid Members

Big Rob, you sexy beast. You'll find no bigger fan of Suzuki than me. He's the guy who I have the most FUN watching his matches from the moment his music starts until the moment the match ends, and often beyond. One of his trainees tells me he's the nicest bloke you'll ever meet in real life as well.

tumblr_mopkq4qLLI1svsahho1_1280.jpg

Tanahashi, Devitt or Bryan for me.

Yeah. Ian's already posted my thoughts for me, yet again.

Devitt is the wrestler that most makes me want him to win on the planet, but for getting my heart racing at the end of the match whether I want him to win or lose, then it's Tanahashi. He just draws me in. I was out of my seat at the end of the Tana/Okada title match the morning of 'Mania. The guy's practically peerless for me. I've lost count of the times I've been shouting at my screen during a Tanahashi match, and three of his matches make into my top ten matches I've seen live, ever. Three he lost, bizarrely.

For me CM Punk would have to be the best in the world. He's the reason I still watch wrestling and I enjoy everything about his act. He has mastered the little tricks to keep hardcore fans in his back pocket better than anyone else ever has bar maybe Paul Heyman. For the most part it's Punk's fans who will be explaining who's alive and who's still wrestling in 15 years to Cena's fans who have lost interest. Considering they are the type of fans who are "hardest to impress" he must be doing something right.

Angle on the other hand has been a big fish in a little pond for a long time, which has probably helped him master that big match feeling. Bryan is brilliant, but until be has properly been in the top spot carrying the main program's I wouldn't call him the best in the world. I don't doubt he could be in that spot or that he will be able to pull it off, but until he does I wouldn't call him best in the world.

Jericho is nowhere near best in the world and never has been

Kurt Angle used to be my vote for favourite ever. His character work in the first half of his WWE run was incredible. I find Angle and Mick Foley's attitude era stuff, because they could laugh at themselves, to have aged so much better than Rock and Austin's. But in 2000, Triple H was king. In 2001, I think Austin, who was also not taking himself too seriously, had a better year than Angle. I haven't seen enough of Angle's current stuff to say he's the best now.

Archived