My Best Film: Gene Hackman

Devon Malcolm

Unforgiven is probably the best film he's been in, but The Conversation is his acting masterpiece.I've got a lot of time for The French Connection 2 as well, which is more of a solo piece than the original, and has 2 great scenes in - the drug detox and Hackman running down a boat.

Unforgiven is probably the best film he's been in, but The Conversation is his acting masterpiece.

I'd go along with this. The Conversation is one of those films that I don't particularly enjoy, but appreciate on a creative level nonetheless. He's so un-Gene Hackman-like in it.I'm a huge fan of Mississippi Burning. The scene where he slaps Brad Dourif around the barber's shop while yelling 'DID YOU SMILE?!?' is one of the most satisfying I've seen.

• Paid Members

Unforgiven is probably the best film he's been in, but The Conversation is his acting masterpiece.I've got a lot of time for The French Connection 2 as well, which is more of a solo piece than the original, and has 2 great scenes in - the drug detox and Hackman running down a boat.

Yes, it's a very worthy sequel and he is excellent in it.As for The Conversation, it is very much an against type performance for him but it just goes to show his versatility as an actor. Brilliant film.

• Paid Members

Gene Hackman's one of those actors that i initially think i haven't seen much of, but when i look at his filmography i realise ive seen quite a lot.I recently picked up The French Connection on Blu-ray, think its time to bust it out.

• Paid Members

Yeah, he's one of those actors.Narrow Margin is one that always used to be on ITV before and after News At Ten and it's really good fun. I watched the original a few months ago and the Hackman version is a huge improvement. He did lots of fun little thrillers like that around that time.

• 6 years later...