Original gimmicks

Wendell Cooley

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think an obvious original gimmick would be probably wrestlings first larger than life gimmick in 'Gorgeous' George Wagner, he played and developed a gimmick later used in some form by the likes Adrian Street and Adrian Adonis.

Wern't Buddy Rogers an original, in terms of the the showmanship and such like??I might get shot to pieces there by somebody but from what i have seen/heard he was one of, if not the first to be doing the "give you my hand to shake only to take it away and brush the hair back" and exaggerated selling gimmick, much of what Flair and also Graham would do later is clear to see in Rogers in the 50's, when it was mainly straight laced Wrestling with an amateur feel to it, i.e O'Connor, Thesz, Funks etc.As i say, he more than likely took it from somebody but i dunno.

Was Doink the Clown the first of his kind? When he debuted he was the sinister, dark, psycho. But then you add into the fact that he took on the double life of Doink and dressed like a clown for the hell of it. Was there anything close to him before that?Edit: The Joker.....wank

Horace Hogan. He was the first man to do "to be honest I'm just here because I'm Hulk Hogan's nephew" and nobody has tried to copy the original since knowing that they would surely fail to match his authenticity.

• Paid Members

Pure guesses and probably very wrong.Big boss man - there may have been enforcers/body guards, but was he the first dirty bobby?Max moon - anyone else claim they were from the moon? Probs were a few that claimed to be from a different planet in fairness.Brutus beefcake - the first hair dresser?Earthquake - the first natural disaster? I'm unaware of any volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, typhoons, tectonic plate movements before himTugboat - the first boat in wrestling?Skinner - first angry crocodile tickler?

• Paid Members

Pogo The Clown. First child molester. Once did a series of skits knocking about a playground, kidnapping a child and then shoveling dirt over a blue hand.When I say first molester, I mean as a gimmick. There have been plenty real live versions living the gimmick.

Big boss man - there may have been enforcers/body guards, but was he the first dirty bobby?

He wasn't a cop, was he? He was a prison guard. Or was he both? I've never ever been confused about Bossman's gimmick before now, but I've just realised I'm not sure what he was.

• Paid Members

He was just a prison guard. So really in a way the Mountie has fuck loads over him in terms or respect during their feud. Boss Man didn't even really have the right to arrest anyone. Technically he was just a bloke in a prison who opened the doors and conked Nailz over the head... which is he fucking did as well I bet.

Archived