Original gimmicks

Wendell Cooley

Wrestling, like most low brow forms of entertainment, deals largely in stock characters and archetypes - the cocky heel, the foreign cunt, the charismatic muscular fellow - etc. What are the gimmicks that can't be said of which, "oh, that's just a copy of X"? Steve Austin nicked the beer drinking thing from The Sandman, but as far as I know, no wrestler ever had a drunk gimmick before Sandy. It was original, wasn't it?Now you get my point, tell me about gimmicks that had never been done before.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we're talking about the beer drinking tough guy then the person to do that was probably "The Crusher" Reginald Ligowski, back in the 50's/60's.Crusher's gimmick was a guy who trained by carrying kegs of beer, throwing bums out of saloons and then doing the polka with "the dollies." From what I've seen he was a great promo and a fantastic character.

If we're talking about the beer drinking tough guy then the person to do that was probably "The Crusher" Reginald Ligowski, back in the 50's/60's.Crusher's gimmick was a guy who trained by carrying kegs of beer, throwing bums out of saloons and then doing the polka with "the dollies." From what I've seen he was a great promo and a fantastic character.

This is the kind of response I was hoping for.

This is the kind of response I was hoping for.
I recommend watching a couple of these Crusher promos. He's a real character, the guy who can talk you into watching him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxNS77F7IKA

• Awards Moderator

I did a load of research into The Crusher for a wrestling fansite once, I think it was just after he'd died. Really interesting character, fascinating man behind the character, and a great career. Did the same for Antonino Rocca, actually.

Archived