kofi kingston ready for wwe championship?

children of bodom

I think this injury could be a blessing in disguise for him. He hasn't taken any time off since he debuted 5 years ago, and bar his transition from Jamaican to Ghanan (and the 5 minutes with Orton/Legacy) there has been very little character development, and he just doesn't seem 'fresh'. This time off could give WWE a chance to repackage him on his return, maybe bring in a new attitude, and see how it goes. The issue is, it seems they always start a plan to push him, but grow bored of it very quickly and change their minds.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd quite like to see him given a chance with one of the world titles, but then again I'd just like to see him given a chance with any sort of storyline. You can say the same thing about most of the midcard though. People always bring up that feud he had with Randy Orton forever ago where the fans were super into him and he looked like he could be a big deal. It's pretty crazy that you have to go that far back to remember the last time he was involved in an angle of any note. He showed what he's capable of doing, but they haven't done a thing with him since.

He should never be near the WWE Championship. They have just spent time building the belts up again after any old bastard got a push and a reign a few years back, they don't need to go back to throwing the belt on second tier guys like him.Anyway, what WWE desperately needs is some midcard enhancement talent. They got to the point when the roster seemed to be built up on just ex world champions and jobbers. A guy like Kofi is perfect for having a program with an upcoming guy, he has a bit of credibility and will make them look good. He isn't a good enough promo or an interesting enough character to hold the strap himself imo.

• Paid Members

He should never be near the WWE Championship. They have just spent time building the belts up again after any old bastard got a push and a reign a few years back, they don't need to go back to throwing the belt on second tier guys like him.

What about promoting second tier guys to the top of the card though? Isn't that how the business is supposed to work?

Anyway, what WWE desperately needs is some midcard enhancement talent. They got to the point when the roster seemed to be built up on just ex world champions and jobbers. A guy like Kofi is perfect for having a program with an upcoming guy, he has a bit of credibility and will make them look good. He isn't a good enough promo or an interesting enough character to hold the strap himself imo.

He isn't a good enough promo? Based on what evidence? He barely ever gets a chance to say anything, but when he does he usually does alright with it. His character is only as interesting as the storylines they book for him.It frustrates me that some people don't want to see guys given a chance to progress.

• Paid Members

I've long said that Kofi is the perfect babyface replacement to Rey Mysterio. Obviously doesn't hold the appeal to the Hispanic audience but in every other department he could be just as fantastically marketable and in the same ways as Mysterio is. He's had no purpose for so long and had so many meaningless title wins and losses that it'll be a hard task ever recovering him to be something as hot as that now.I'd still like to see him fill up and boost the tag scene. I've said before I think he and Justin Gabriel would be a fabulous combination as a proper tag team. I think he'd need to dip into something like that and get back over that way before he could really go and make any waves in the singles ranks again. I would also be fascinated by a heel turn, just to see if he had it in him. It's hard to imagine Kofi as a heel because he just seems like a really, really nice lad.

It's a shame that he's not given anything to work with storyline wise over the last few years as he's decent in the ring and has the moveset to keep crowds interested. I usually enjoy his matches, but I'm never excited about watching any of them because there's no reason given to watch his matches. I think that they really missed the boat in 2009, when he was feuding with Legacy. He looked intense and was getting good reactions from the crowd. You could even say that it was a (not too memorable in the grand scheme of things) "moment" when he boom-dropped Orton through that table at MSG. But he got the rug pulled out from under him and has been in the same stale mid-card spot since. The only things of note for Kofi over the last few years would be a couple of cool spots in Royal Rumbles and the fact his matches are usually decent. They've put him in unmemorable title runs with all of the lower-card belts that have done bugger all for his career due to the lack of storylines surrounding his runs. He's only 31, so I think that he can become a World Heavyweight champion at some point, even if all he gets is a transitional reign. He just needs to add more to his character, not just calling himself "The Wildcat" or some other half-arsed unmemorable moniker, but a real reason for fans to be interested in him.Also, I would love to know how many televised matches there have been between Kofi and Dolph Ziggler over the years. I don't think I've ever seen two wrestlers face each other as often as these two guys have.

Also, I would love to know how many televised matches there have been between Kofi and Dolph Ziggler over the years. I don't think I've ever seen two wrestlers face each other as often as these two guys have.

Someone posted recently how many it was. I can't remember the number, but it's a lot. Less than I thought though. I think including house shows it's a couple of hundred or so. They joke on Twitter about having a best of 1000 series.

I think this injury could be a blessing in disguise for him. He hasn't taken any time off since he debuted 5 years ago, and bar his transition from Jamaican to Ghanan (and the 5 minutes with Orton/Legacy) there has been very little character development, and he just doesn't seem 'fresh'. This time off could give WWE a chance to repackage him on his return, maybe bring in a new attitude, and see how it goes.

I don't think he needs repackaging, just returning with a purpose. There's no sense in changing the things that have won him over with people, at least until they have a good go at putting his current character in storylines. If it doesn't work, give him an overhaul.

The issue is, it seems they always start a plan to push him, but grow bored of it very quickly and change their minds.

Kofi's not the only one who they do that with, but he might be the one they've been doing it the longest with now. The last "start" when he beat Miz for the Intercontinental was painful, when they were talking about him having a new aggression and being different and all that, but he was exactly the same. They've done this with Sandow recently as well.

I think the music, the grinning, the "Boom Boom" shit all has a whiff of failure about it. He should come back minus dreads and cut the "you people . . . after all that I've given, you wanted me through a table 'one more time'" promo. Vince Mcmahon already planted the seeds for that story and they'd be force to write something for him for once.

Kofi turning heel? I just can't see that at all. There's too many heels around these days and after the initial push, Kofi would get completely lost in the mix. As someone already mention earlier in the thread, he can fill Rey Mysterio's role as the plucky underdog babyface on the periphery of the main event scene if he was given something more to work with.

• Paid Members

Listen, guys, I guarantee you within three years he'll be over in TNA being called Kofi Accra or some shit and anybody who ever said he had even the potential to be a WWE headliner is going to be laughing at themselves.

• Paid Members

Kofi ready for the big belt? He's gone nowhere for five years and beaten nobody of note in convincing manner in a high-profile setting, ever. He's about as ready for the WWE title as I am.Personally I find Kofi annoying as fuck. His mannerisms, his moves, his music... they all just piss me off. I'd quite like to hit him. I really enjoyed Ryback smashing him. I'd turn him heel if he had a couple of big fuckers to do his dirty work, the way Syxx used to hide behind the Outsiders. But they won't do that, because the kids love him. He seems a nice bloke but his in-ring act just winds me up. (And as a a really minor point, I don't like the way they always wheel him out on the profile DVDs and get him to make irrelevant comments on old wrestling that took place when he was a kid, long before he actually entered the industry, and he makes the same obvious comments that anybody that was a fan at the time could make. But then, there's plenty in that boat.)

Listen, guys, I guarantee you within three years he'll be over in TNA being called Kofi Accra or some shit and anybody who ever said he had even the potential to be a WWE headliner is going to be laughing at themselves.

As opposed to the rest of us, who are laughing at them already.

Archived