Let's talk FWA

Herne's Son

Those photos on the Facebook group are awesome. As the rings were mentioned I was wondering who owned them and were the 3 generations of rings blue, red white and blue, red roped to try and be more specific the same ring with different roles or three different rings. I assumed they resided at the academy. Last time I saw the truly FWA ring was either New Frontiers 2005 or possibly an IPW show in swanley where they had a cage match and I recall it being the academy cage and the old battered up remains of the fwa ring.

Also if anyone knows is the frame work still often used as a stage/entrance way for ipw/rev pro and many more possibly still the same bit of kit the FWA used or is someone making these for each promotion ?

On 9/16/2018 at 1:42 PM, simonworden said:

Those photos on the Facebook group are awesome. As the rings were mentioned I was wondering who owned them and were the 3 generations of rings blue, red white and blue, red roped to try and be more specific the same ring with different roles or three different rings. I assumed they resided at the academy. Last time I saw the truly FWA ring was either New Frontiers 2005 or possibly an IPW show in swanley where they had a cage match and I recall it being the academy cage and the old battered up remains of the fwa ring.

Also if anyone knows is the frame work still often used as a stage/entrance way for ipw/rev pro and many more possibly still the same bit of kit the FWA used or is someone making these for each promotion ?

I do believe that Len Davies bought what was left of the rings from Mark Sloan including a 6 sided ring who then ā€˜gave themā€™ to Ricky Knight? Iā€™m sure he could confirm thisĀ 

He also was given the tri light trussing that Len also bought off Mark.Ā 

Edited by Freddyjoe
More information

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Itā€™s been 20 years so canā€™t recall exactl details, but here we go:

I came acrossĀ the FWA (pre-Frontier Wrestling Alliance meaning) in January 1999 as part of a growing interest in U.K. wrestling after keeping an eye on Hammerlock since the summer of 1998- and running up my folkā€™s phonebill listening to Dean Ayass on their hotline.Ā 

That was mainly because the 2 young guys tearing it up in Hammerlock-Jody and Jonny- were going to be on the show. I think thatā€™s how I remember it.

I kept up with it since then. Not (the most) exciting, but there you go...

• Awards Moderator

It will have been something shown on The Wrestling Channel previews. Might have been a match, like Jonny vs Jody, Jonny vs AJ Styles at Uprising 1, or Doug vs Daniel Bryan in the American Dragon mask, but it could very easily have been quick highlight footage like Jody moonsaulting off a ladder onto Flash Barker,Ā Low Ki kicking the shit out of James Tighe at Frontiers Of Honor, or Burchill annihilating both members of Double Dragon simultaneously before hitting the C4.

Whatever it was, it made me a fan!

A school friend who liked wrestling rounded a few of us up and asked if we wanted to go to a show at Walthamstow - canā€™t remember for the life of me the card but I do remember Ulf Herman dragging a fan out of the crowd and hitting a pilediver,Ā 

It was loads of fun but it didnā€™t make me a huge fan, the next one I went to was about a year later, FWA Seasons Beatings at Broxbourne Civic HallĀ which was headlined by a triple threat of Jerry Lynn Vs AJ Styles Vs Doug Williams

The final show I went to I took my young nephew who was into wrestling at the time, it took place at Enfield Southbury Leisure Centre and had CM Punk and Colt Cabana on the card.