Let's talk FWA

Herne's Son

• Paid Members

There are quite a few, I think. Majik sometimes posts still, Jekyll used to be a regular, TheLostScot is Grado, and obviously knightmare is Ricky Knight. Spinner McKenzie, Damien O'Connor, Carl Conroy, and Kid Fite used to post a fair bit too.

And you'd lose your mind if you knew who @Astro Hollywood really was.

• Paid Members

I know loads that used to post on here, I've genuinely forgotten pretty much all of them though (in terms of their usernames). All started as FWA fanboys, then joined on here, then started training, then started working shows and those that are still wrestling today are now well-respected 15 year or so vets.

• Paid Members

That was a fucking cracking show. The absolute highlight was Steve Lynskey burying his face in the turnbuckle to try to hide the fact he was pissing himself after someone* shouted “Don’t join The Family!” at Danny Williams as he was introduced to the crowd.

*99% sure it was the guy from Norwich who used to sit in the front row on the regular. As I’ve said on here before - really nice guy, used to see him around Norwich a bit as well as at FWA shows. Now, sadly, I can remember neither his real name nor his username on here.

• Paid Members

Man I remember that. Of all the things, what made him come up with 'gay boy'? Terrible insult.

Statto, was the Norwich guy on here? I was always under the impression he wasn't. He gave Ricky Knight a Norwich scarf once at the Civic Hall, didn't he? Funny thing is, he's actually a Gooner.

• Paid Members

That was a really good show but it contained one real anomaly. That was a really average Doug Williams match. Not many people saw it because it was a dark match for gold and silver ticket holders only, but Doug and Joe just didn't click. I wasn't supposed to be watching it but Stixx got me in. I was sat right at the back of the tiered seating and I had Alex thrown into me by Corino. Luckily I had bought the Dave Meltzer Tributes book in hardback during the interval and it was on my knee, otherwise I would suffered some quite severely crushed bollocks. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Statto, was the Norwich guy on here? I was always under the impression he wasn't. He gave Ricky Knight a Norwich scarf once at the Civic Hall, didn't he? Funny thing is, he's actually a Gooner.

I’m pretty sure he was a member, but not a massively regular poster. Could be wrong, mind.

My recollection of the Norwich scarf was that it was Zebra that actually took it from him - I think it was probably the entrances for the Ricky vs Zebra match (the one where still-a-schoolkid Zak got superkicked at the end) and it’s distictly possible it was offered to Ricky too. He probably heelishly waved it off though.

I always wore a Norwich shirt to FWA shows. Christ knows why.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Statto said:

I’m pretty sure he was a member, but not a massively regular poster. Could be wrong, mind.

My recollection of the Norwich scarf was that it was Zebra that actually took it from him - I think it was probably the entrances for the Ricky vs Zebra match (the one where still-a-schoolkid Zak got superkicked at the end) and it’s distictly possible it was offered to Ricky too. He probably heelishly waved it off though.

I always wore a Norwich shirt to FWA shows. Christ knows why.

That guy used to post on here as 'Simmons Fan Club' (after he was the main instigator of all the initially-ironic Simmons support that fans started doing to entertain themselves during a dreadful 6-man tag at Seasons Beatings 2002. Think he turned up to the next show dressed as a butler).  He lost interest in FWA after he got his usual Gold front row tickets to one of the shows in Brent Town Hall, but the way the seating was set up there the rows were super long and the expensive "front row" seats at the end of the row were actually further away than row 3-4 seats in adjacent blocks, with cheaper seats actually blocking the view. He never came back.

Edited by Big Benny HG

There was something about Broxbourne that just felt like home. 

Cracking little venue. Same faces, good location (for me anyway) and all the shows felt like something special. Taking nothing away from York Hall, Walthamstow, Wembley, Coventry or the other venues Broxbourne had just something the others didn't quite live up too, almost like a home game at football where you had the community and atmosphere that you couldn't quite get anywhere else.

Everything from the staff, the bar, the layout was spot on here, I don't think there was a bad seat in the place either. We used to car share and parking on site was easy too. 

• Paid Members

There was the George III which was halfway up the main road between Broxbourne railway station and the Civic Hall (though you missed it if you took the canal path shortcut), which was a bit basic. I've actually frequented that one more in the post-FWA days, for things like Dragon Gate and NOAH (perfect meeting spot for people in your group arriving at different times).  @air_raid and I and others managed to be part of a bit of a lock-in there after one such DGUK show, taking over the jukebox until the early hours...

The main one people used to drink at pre-Broxbourne shows, though, was the Golden Lion, a bit further up the main street near Hoddesdon centre (just past the garage, which seemingly everyone going to the Civic Hall would use for the cash machine...).  If you went in there on a Sunday afternoon before a BritWres show, you'd nearly always find Gillian Taylforth sat in there drinking. Great beer garden too, for when it was a summer afternoon, and they would serve you drinks through a hatch so you didn't even need to go back inside to the bar.

The White Swan was a decent boozer too, but that was a bit further up, right on the high street, and not many Civic Hall goers made it that far up.  There's even a Wetherspoons on the high street now, which wasn' there back in the day...