Let's talk FWA

Herne's Son

• Paid Members
On 7/18/2018 at 1:36 PM, mim731 said:

Somewhere I think I still have a piece of the camera Dino Scarlo "smashed" during his match at High School Hell (I think it's a bit of the lens cap, my memory on the specifics is hazy at best as I was about 15), as we were sat pretty much in the front row (had front row tickets, got moved for what I believe were trainees for a necessary dive into the audience spot). That was my first FWA show, got to a fair few after that, including Revival. 

EDIT: Thinking about it, I also have a copy of the programme from Revival, and some other bits somewhere, will see what I can dig out at the weekend. 

My nephew still has quite a large chunk of the garden gnome that Ulf Herman placed between Paul Travell's (I think) legs and smashed with a spade at one of the Broxbourne shows. That is some niche memorabilia. 

• Paid Members
On 7/18/2018 at 6:33 PM, elisarcabrera said:

Anyone here remember if they were a regular of our FWA Job Squad nights? 

I went to a couple of these. Weird things. Also, what was the name of the hotel near Paddington that the FWA had a special deal with for room rates for fans?

In other, alternate universe stuff, a BWR show called Uprising 2 in Cleethorpes has Jonny Storm vs Jody Fleisch announced for the end of next month 

23 minutes ago, gadge said:

I went to a couple of these. Weird things. Also, what was the name of the hotel near Paddington that the FWA had a special deal with for room rates for fans?

In other, alternate universe stuff, a BWR show called Uprising 2 in Cleethorpes has Jonny Storm vs Jody Fleisch announced for the end of next month 

It was called Ruddimans then, it’s now Stylotel. 

As someone whose only exposure to FWA has been through Powerslam magazine . It always seemed FWA were on a slow but steady progressiv path . Then it all seemed to just end. 

What was their biggest show, attendance wise ?

What was their best show, ring quality wise ?

What was their last show ?

• Paid Members

I went to a couple of their shows at Horwich Leisure Centre. I think the main event of one of them was a falls count anywhere match between Nova and Fleisch, Nova cut a promo talking about how he's wrestled all over the world, but always enjoys wrestling in front of the fans here in England and we all chanted "cheap pop" at him. In my often flawed memory this was before they started chanting it at Foley in WWE so my friends and I who were at that show now take credit for inventing that chant.

The other Horwich show we went to had Chris Hamrick on it and a run in from Birchill, who was a monster of a man and blew our young, impressionable minds when he did a standing star press. Out lasting memory from that one was a guy who had what looked like "bovine" written down the side of his pants wrestling  against a heel whose gimmick was that he was Irish, and there were a couple of blokes say behind us who just kept shouting Brad Pitt's lines from Snatch at the heel, who would keep having to stop was he was doing and hide his face to avoid showing the crowd that he was in hysterics.

We also went to I think the first Morecambe Dome show and were sat down the front. One of my mates picked me up from work and drove me up there, and two of our mates had made their way up on the bus from Preston and drunk a bottle of Whiskey en route, so were quite the worse for wear. They'd also made fliers for our little backyard event, which was "our WrestleMania" and almost got kicked out for dishing them out during the interval. They kept hurling abuse at MiddleMan as well. It was quite embarrassing. All solid shows, though.

5 hours ago, RancidPunx said:

As someone whose only exposure to FWA has been through Powerslam magazine . It always seemed FWA were on a slow but steady progressiv path . Then it all seemed to just end. 

What was their biggest show, attendance wise ?

What was their best show, ring quality wise ?

What was their last show ?

If you have time its worth reading Gregg Lambert's first book, it covers pretty much everything from when he joined the FWA to its original demise.

But to try and answer at least one of your questions the biggest show attendance wise was British Uprising 3 with around 1500 fans I believe in a still pretty empty looking Coventry Skydome. Looked better on tape but it was mostly just floor seats full and one side of the tiered seating. It was basically Uprising 3 that killed it if i'm right as they just couldn't afford the imports or production due to money losses and then Alex Shane walked out on them creatively I believe, i'd need to reread to check those facts though. 

You had the revived FWA which last put on a show on 1/4/2012 at the MCM Expo, that was an odd little return that just ended up doing mostly festivals and expo's. 

The original FWA's last show was technically the Final Frontiers show on 25.3.2007 although really that was an IPW:UK show in most ways. The last show before was Goldrush 2015 in Morecambe just before. Those shows were already quite detached to the rest of the FWA and the last notable FWA event was probably NOAH Limits 2 in Colechester and even then a lot of fans had given up on the FWA in 2005 during Alex Shane's title run like I did. 

4 hours ago, simonworden said:

If you have time its worth reading Gregg Lambert's first book, it covers pretty much everything from when he joined the FWA to its original demise.

But to try and answer at least one of your questions the biggest show attendance wise was British Uprising 3 with around 1500 fans I believe in a still pretty empty looking Coventry Skydome. Looked better on tape but it was mostly just floor seats full and one side of the tiered seating. It was basically Uprising 3 that killed it if i'm right as they just couldn't afford the imports or production due to money losses and then Alex Shane walked out on them creatively I believe, i'd need to reread to check those facts though. 

You had the revived FWA which last put on a show on 1/4/2012 at the MCM Expo, that was an odd little return that just ended up doing mostly festivals and expo's. 

The original FWA's last show was technically the Final Frontiers show on 25.3.2007 although really that was an IPW:UK show in most ways. The last show before was Goldrush 2015 in Morecambe just before. Those shows were already quite detached to the rest of the FWA and the last notable FWA event was probably NOAH Limits 2 in Colechester and even then a lot of fans had given up on the FWA in 2005 during Alex Shane's title run like I did. 

Depends on your definition of 'original' I guess 

I guess I meant the Original run as there was a clear 'That's it' marker between 2007 and the 2009 revival, although I am partly aware behind the curtain FWA went through numerous management changes between 1999 and 2007.

Out of interest Elisa what would be your definition of the original FWA as someone who was there and not just a fan?

• Paid Members

If we're throwing questions then I have one too for Elisar. How did you get into the wrestling business? I know the story of Mark Sloan, that's been documented a bit. Always find it fascinating how promoters first get into the industry.

4 hours ago, PunkStep said:

If we're throwing questions then I have one too for Elisar. How did you get into the wrestling business? I know the story of Mark Sloan, that's been documented a bit. Always find it fascinating how promoters first get into the industry.

Will check out that Greg Lambert book.

Love to hear Elisar’s story and also you mentioned Mark Sloan’s story was well documented ?

Any good starting points ?

I have seen the questions above. Am on holiday at the moment so will be back in August. I am collating a few things to put online about the early years from the old defunct FWA website as a historical record, so might be best if I reply in that? I only just read Greg's book a few days ago and he leaves out, works or ignores so much from the early years that I want to fill in that gap for you all.

Edited by elisarcabrera