Let's talk FWA

Herne's Son

• Paid Members

How many and what were the FWA York Hall shows? I'm sure I missed at least one. From memory I can only think of British Uprising 1&2 and Frontier's of Honor.

I'd love one of those top 20 clip shows on the FWA. If I were more organized I'd even give it a shot.

• Paid Members

It went to shit the moment they started going up North more and more. Wasn't it Morecambe they were running more regularly?

I assume this was when Greg Lambert became more actively involved?

I found it a great shame that it started to go up it's own arse a little, the quaintness and rebellious nature faltered as the necessity to entertain kids crept in, that spark and energy it had was lost, it's appeal was drained and I sort of felt that the fan that was ringside for well over a year without missing a show, wasn't wanted anymore.

They tried the next step, and they fell on their faces.

That Simmons double turn ... Perfection.

Edited by Teedy Kay

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, DEF said:

How many and what were the FWA York Hall shows? I'm sure I missed at least one. From memory I can only think of British Uprising 1&2 and Frontier's of Honor.

That was all at York Hall I think. Which is a bonus because York Hall is a shithole. 

• Paid Members

So was Brent, ugh.

Broxbourne holds a special little place in my heart though. Getting off that train and walking up to the venue, stopping halfway at the B&B if I had enough cash to stay there (if not it was the bench at the train station for me) held atmosphere brilliantly and had a great area for pre/mid/post show drinks and Video queues.

2 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

For some reason a show at the Pyramids centre in Portsmouth sticks out in my mind around 2000 with Flatliner on it. Wasn't that one of the first FWA shows? 

Also seem to remember seeing Lil Guido and Nova at some shows

Flatliner No Surprises 2 in 2000

Nova When Thunder Strikes 2001

Guido and Jasmin No Surprises 3 2001

• Paid Members

Crazy that all these years later Jody Fleisch has been invited to PWG's Battle of Los Angeles. There's a good argument to be made that this could be the biggest break of his career. If you impress at BOLA, everyone on earth seems to book you. It's the hottest fed going for people booking you off the back of it.

26 minutes ago, elisarcabrera said:

Flatliner No Surprises 2 in 2000

Nova When Thunder Strikes 2001

Guido and Jasmin No Surprises 3 2001

Thank u. 

Always remember flatliner looking like Scott steiner then. Kinda looked a big deal as alot of the other wrestlers were considerably smaller in comparison. 

Funny what you remember nearly 20 yrs later (flatliner was in camo pants). 

Having just looked it up flatliner just turned 40 in May this year (2018) making him only 22 in 2000. Incredible has he looked about 35 then. 

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

So was Brent, ugh.

Broxbourne holds a special little place in my heart though. Getting off that train and walking up to the venue, stopping halfway at the B&B if I had enough cash to stay there (if not it was the bench at the train station for me) held atmosphere brilliantly and had a great area for pre/mid/post show drinks and Video queues.

Broxbourne was brilliant. One of my favourite memories was watching a 7 year old child F5 his brother into the lake/river and then watching as his mum gave him the bollocking of his life while his dad tried to look angry but was not so secretly incredibly proud. 

• Moderators
10 hours ago, elisarcabrera said:

Maybe we can all ask Moorish if he would consider adding the old official UKFF FWA fan forum back into the Gold section? If it still exists  in his own archive of course. 

I believe all that old stuff is all gone for good, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, deadmaninc said:

I remember my first ever wrestling event was the first ever Fratton Wrestling Alliance in Landport, Portsmouth 

I credit the original FWA (Fratton Wrestling Alliance) with almost single handedly saving British Wrestling from extinction. Back when the FWA was formed the industry (if you could call it that?) was at an all time low. Most of the WOS wrestlers were retiring & those left were really struggling to survive with Dixon just doing Croydon & Bristol once a month.

Looking back at all the young talent that went through the FWA, it really was ground breaking at the time. When you look at the shear volume of shows currently & the amazing talent, compounded by the current WOS Wrestling TV taping & the heavy involvement of the WWE in the UK.

I take my hat off to those guys in Fratton who dared to dream & paved the way for what looks like a really great time to be a British Wrestling fan.