UFC 162: 'Silva vs Weidman'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You don't necessarily need to always get your number 3 and 2 to fight, but the winner gets to fight the number one guy to get to that spot. Also if someone loses their title fight then they need to drop down to the number 5 spot immediately. So then your number 2 guy is becomes the number one and he'd have to fight once to keep his place. so a loss should mean you're dropping down the rankings, but you don't want a number one contender to not have beaten anyone else in the top 5 spots. You don't always have to have the number 5 guy fight the number 4 and the third to fight the second and your number one contender to face the champ. You need a revolving door in the top 5 spots, so if someone goes down they need to get themselves back up.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

You don't necessarily need to always get your number 3 and 2 to fight, but the winner gets to fight the number one guy to get to that spot. Also if someone loses their title fight then they need to drop down to the number 5 spot immediately. So then your number 2 guy is becomes the number one and he'd have to fight once to keep his place. so a loss should mean you're dropping down the rankings, but you don't want a number one contender to not have beaten anyone else in the top 5 spots. You don't always have to have the number 5 guy fight the number 4 and the third to fight the second and your number one contender to face the champ. You need a revolving door in the top 5 spots, so if someone goes down they need to get themselves back up.

I honestly don't think you're thinking this through properly. You're saying the winner gets to fight the number 1 guy? Why isn't the number 1 guy fighting for the title? Once you are in that number 1 slot, you should be fighting for the title by your logic? Not fighting against someone to get that number 1 slot.

So you don't get what has happened in the past where you've got an interim title holder who is more than happy to wait it out until they get their shot at the title. Get the guys fighting for a title shot, rather than getting complacent.

• Paid Members

So you don't get what has happened in the past where you've got an interim title holder who is more than happy to wait it out until they get their shot at the title. Get the guys fighting for a title shot, rather than getting complacent.

Your whole argument is based on "injuries" and "interim". Why are you talking about these two things as if it's the normal? I get that this has happened, but I'm saying it's a simple fact a title SHOULD be defended on a regular basis, and not once a year that would in fact happen if a healthy fighter who's not injured is attempting to defend two belts. Also, this post in contradicting itself too. You say I don't get where an interim title holder who is more happy to wait it out until they get a title shot, to the state guys should be fighting for a shot rather than getting complacent? Which one is it? Sit out or fight?If you had your system, you would end up changing number 1 contender on a regular basis and only by timing would the number contender get their shot. It would create a ridiculous mess where you would constantly have fighters sitting it out and waiting for their shot. I'm not saying your system wouldn't work, I'm saying it would be shit.

• Paid Members

an interim title holder needs to defend, if he wins that belt and just sits out he's nothing but a glorified no. 1 contender, when you have that belt you are in effect 'the champion', you need to defend it until the champion comes back, if the time frame works out you unify but if not you go ahead and defend...as Renan Barao has done.

There are 8 weight classes and the women's division, so there's a lot of titles with roughly 50 fighters in each weight class under contract. Your top 5 guys only fight 3 times a year at most, so this is roughly every 4 to 5 months give or take. So on the same show you could have the number one contender's fight and the title fight. So come the end of that show you know who the champion and the who his next fight should be. It doesn't even need to be the same card it could the Fox show with a number one contender's fight and the title fight on a PPV the week after. Then if a champ is injured which has been happening a lot lately the number one contender can fight someone else, based on the ranking. It just seems better to have a proper table to make MMA seem like a real sport than the past system on fights being put together on the whim of who Dana and joel Silva want to see fight.

• Paid Members

There are 8 weight classes and the women's division, so there's a lot of titles with roughly 50 fighters in each weight class under contract. Your top 5 guys only fight 3 times a year at most, so this is roughly every 4 to 5 months give or take. So on the same show you could have the number one contender's fight and the title fight. So come the end of that show you know who the champion and the who his next fight should be. It doesn't even need to be the same card it could the Fox show with a number one contender's fight and the title fight on a PPV the week after. Then if a champ is injured which has been happening a lot lately the number one contender can fight someone else, based on the ranking. It just seems better to have a proper table to make MMA seem like a real sport than the past system on fights being put together on the whim of who Dana and joel Silva want to see fight.

Rey, you've completely gone off what the original debate was about! This was about a fighter in 2 weight classes holding two belts. This system is fine when a title holder holds one belt.

• Paid Members

Rey, you only need to have been an MMA fan for 5 minutes to know that theory just wouldn't work out with the way injuries are in the sport. We've had big discussions about rankings and 'tables' before, it's rubbish. The rankings are there as a rough guide to see where people stand, that's all they ever will be.

What you're saying is the title should be defended more than once a year. That is never going to be viable all the time due to injuries or drug suspensions anyway and I don't like the interim titles when people have sat it out to get their title shot. So saying that a champion is in two weight classes you could fight twice in one weight division and once one year and if he's still the champ do the vice versa with the weightclasses the following year. I'm talking from the perspective of a fighter, so it's easier to have a clear objective of who you're going to have to beat to get to the top. So you can also book the shows that a fight for a number one contender is nearly as big as a title fight.

• Paid Members

What you're saying is the title should be defended more than once a year. That is never going to be viable all the time due to injuries or drug suspensions anyway and I don't like the interim titles when people have sat it out to get their title shot. So saying that a champion is in two weight classes you could fight twice in one weight division and once one year and if he's still the champ do the vice versa with the weightclasses the following year. I'm talking from the perspective of a fighter, so it's easier to have a clear objective of who you're going to have to beat to get to the top. So you can also book the shows that a fight for a number one contender is nearly as big as a title fight.

But you're still all for a fighter holding 2 titles in 2 different weight classes considering what you've said here?

Yes I am and that's why I'm talking about the ranking system. So that when a champ is unable to fight for whatever reason, you move the focus to who is going to be the number one contender when that champion comes back, you know who they're going to fight. Especially with injuries you've got a time frame of when they're going to be back within a month of that injury. As I mentioned earlier you can have the number one contender fight for the other weightclass with the champ fighting as the main event.

That's why if you've got the rankings you have a focus to the division that's not the champ, if they're out. Or say the champ drops his belt due to drugs, then you already know who the title fight will be between to get the vacant belt. Boxing has ranks and the reason that they don't really work is because the fighters get to pick their fights. When you have the UFC making the fights you can easily pick the fights that should be happening based off these rankings.

• Paid Members

That's why if you've got the rankings you have a focus to the division that's not the champ, if they're out. Or say the champ drops his belt due to drugs, then you already know who the title fight will be between to get the vacant belt. Boxing has ranks and the reason that they don't really work is because the fighters get to pick their fights. When you have the UFC making the fights you can easily pick the fights that should be happening based off these rankings.

Dear me Rey. You realise the stuff you are saying is actually an argument AGAINST a fighter having 2 titles?

Archived