UFC 162: 'Silva vs Weidman'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The interesting thing is, why would the UFC be insisting he visits their Doctor in Vegas? If they had no intention of replacing Grant they certainly wouldn't be doing this. Hence if Pettis gets the all clear from their Doctor then I think we will see Henderson/Pettis with Grant getting the winner.

They do that anyway. When a fighter gets injured and goes to his own doctor, the UFC usually send the fighter to their Vegas quack as well for a second opinion. That's why I never believe it when fans say a fighter has faked an injury to get out of a fight.But I know what you mean and I agree. In this case, listening to Dana at the scrum, it sounded like he meant they'll send Pettis to their doc and if he's healthy, it's Pettis vs Bendo 2 in Milwaukee. He never said it but I think that's what will happen. Then again, Dana ended the conversation with something like - "Pettis can do either. He could fight Aldo at 145, or he could stay at 155 and fight the winner of Henderson vs Grant". That sounds like Grant is still getting the shot. Fuck knows, but it probably depends on Pettis' knee healing in time.

I also heard if Aldo won he was guaranteed a shot at the lightweight title? Bizarre.

Yeah, Aldo demanded that clause be put into the bout agreement. I don't really blame him. I suppose to him, Frankie Edgar dropped to 145 and got an immediate shot at Aldo's title. Then Pettis was going to do the same thing. It's only fair Aldo gets the same treatment. And Aldo has been a much more dominant champion than Edgar was. His case for a title shot at 155 is probably stronger than Edgar's was at 145.

Anyway, back to 162. Now forget who you think will win, who do you WANT to win in the main event?

Anderson for me. I like Weidman but I like Anderson more. There was a point where I wanted to see someone end Anderson's reign just to see what would happen. Now I want the streak to continue and him to retire on top.

• Paid Members

Wand, it's not a case of who deserves what. It's more what's better for the division they are currently fighting in. If Aldo goes for a title shot at lightweight then for me, he must drop his title.

• Paid Members

I think it's because I'm both a fan of TKZ and I'm an optimist, I don't see Aldo retaining the title after August. So it'll become a moot point.

It's a moot point anyway as this was his deal when facing Pettis.

• Paid Members

If Aldo goes for a title shot at lightweight then for me, he must drop his title.

Maybe he would. From what I've read, Aldo has been quite keen to move up to 155 for a while now because he was finding the weight cut difficult. Maybe he was looking to beat Pettis and then get his immediate shot at 155 and stay there.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's hardly like Roy Jones going up to heavyweight in boxing and coming back down. 10lbs is fuck all for some guys to cut. For example, I think Frankie Edgar could bounce between 145 and 155 each fight and have no trouble. Aldo might be different though because he's complained about the cut before. As for not having a title to drop, I'm rooting for Zombie but I'm struggling to see how he beats Aldo. He's dangerous everywhere but I just think Aldo is the much better striker and edges him at pretty much everything else.

• Paid Members

I'm saying he won't have a title to drop. He could theoretically hold both titles, a fight at each weight classes every 6 months is viable since the gap between the classes is very small.

Personally I think fighting in 2 divisions is nonsense (as a champion of both that is). Whilst physically I agree it's not a problem, what you are saying is that each title will basically be defended once a year, and at the most twice given that time frame. ie fights 1 start on the year, 1 middle, 1 end. For a division to flourish it really should be defended more than once a year.

I've been touting Zombie to get a title shot ever since his last fight and I'm glad to see him getting it. My only concern is the fact he's some fairly large injuries and big gaps between fights, but he has literal one punch knockout power and some sick BJJ submission skills. He also has the judo takedowns and the Poirier fight went 4 rounds and he didn't seem gassed in the 4th and moving camp to Alpha Male is great for preparing to fight in the states as well.

For a division to flourish it really should be defended more than once a year.

There's been plenty of times a title has only been defended once a year if not longer than that, just because of injuries. Since UFC has added a proper ranking system it's not so much of a problem, you can have more number one contender fights as a focus of a show rather than a title.

• Paid Members

There's been plenty of times a title has only been defended once a year if not longer than that, just because of injuries. Since UFC has added a proper ranking system it's not so much of a problem, you can have more number one contender fights as a focus of a show rather than a title.
I'm not saying it hasn't happened before. You say it's due to injuries and that pretty much says it all. If the champion is healthy then he should be defending it 2/3 times a year.If it doesn't happen then you end up bottle necking your #1 contenders holding their own schedule up. Say you end up having 2 number one contenders? Who fights then? Then you have the possibility of the fighter who goes second out for a whole year without a fight.

I'm not saying it hasn't happened before. You say it's due to injuries and that pretty much says it all. If the champion is healthy then he should be defending it 2/3 times a year.If it doesn't happen then you end up bottle necking your #1 contenders holding their own schedule up. Say you end up having 2 number one contenders? Who fights then? Then you have the possibility of the fighter who goes second out for a whole year without a fight.
I don't see how you can have two number one contenders with a ranking system. That number one contender is basically the same as being an interim champion, so if your champ is injured, you still have people fighting for that number one contender spot.

• Paid Members

I don't see how you can have two number one contenders with a ranking system. That number one contender is basically the same as being an interim champion, so if your champ is injured, you still have people fighting for that number one contender spot.
Really? It doesn't take a math's wiz to work it out Rey. Say you have your number 1 contender, but earlier in the year number's 2 and 3 fought? Then what does the winner do? Just sit it out Rashad style waiting till the champion of his division not only fights someone in the lightweight division, but then has to wait till the number 1 contender loses before he goes in his rightful spot of #1 contender?Fighters need to get paid.

Archived