UFC 162: 'Silva vs Weidman'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Im interested to see how i scored em now. I'll go back through the forum, in sure i had Edgar nicking the first fight.Actually i may just rewatch em and rescore.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It just goes to show, for all the shit the judges get (mostly deserved) it's a really tough job. I mean, we're always saying 'I had it 29-28 for this guy but I'll watch it again and re-score'. The judges don't get that luxury, they score who they score for and that's it, done. That decision stands forever. I fairly often score fights one way live and then differently the next time I watch it. It's easy to get caught up in the moment live and get swayed by different things - the commentating, one guy doing better than expected so you end up being too generous score-wise. You watch the fight again a few days later with a clear head and you sometimes disagree with your own 'judging'. Imagine being a judge and scoring a fight one way, then watching the fight back and thinking 'shit, I fucked up'. Tough job.On the other hand, some fights like Edgar vs Benson 2 you do wonder what the fuck these goons are watching. Some of the scores you hear are ridiculous. I remember one judge scoring Varner vs Guillard at UFC 155, a fight Varner bossed pretty comfortably as I recall, one judge had it 30-27 for Melvin. Crazy.

I scored the second Henderson/Edgar fight 48-47 Edgar, but don't maintain that it's this outright robbery or that the judges scored it wrong that same insist.From my notes I scored it, Round One - Henderson, Round Two - Edgar, Round Three - Henderson (just), Round Four - Edgar, Round Five - Edgar (just) and felt like it was super close and that it could've gone either way. When I think the fight is close, whilst I have my opinions on who I think won, if the other person gets the decision it doesn't bother me. It was hardly like it was a Rutten/Randleman decision in my eyes.

• Paid Members

When I think the fight is close, whilst I have my opinions on who I think won, if the other person gets the decision it doesn't bother me. It was hardly like it was a Rutten/Randleman decision in my eyes.

This was the point I was getting at before. If you can see a clear case for either guy getting the decision then it's not a robbery either way.I did feel like Edgar got mugged in the rematch though. I watched it twice and although most of the rounds were very competitive, I couldn't really see much argument for giving Benson any more than two rounds. I had it 49-46, 4-1 to Frankie but at a push I could have gone 3-2. I really was shocked when Buff read the decision. It's all opinions I suppose. I still don't get that people were arguing that Machida-Shogun 1 was the right decision. Call it bias or whatever, but I can admit when one of my favourite fighters loses and I'm a big Machida fan as well. In my eyes, Shogun was robbed that night though. Oh well, whatever, justice was served in the rematch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

It's unclear whether Ricardo Lamas will still fight on this card with Zombie now busy elsewhere. But he's getting his show money even if he ends up not fighting, according to MMAJunkie.Any ideas who could step in to fight Lamas? Everyone seems to be booked, unless they feed him a lower ranked opponent. I guess Munoz vs Boetsch will get bumped to PPV if they can't find somebody.

I hear that Ricardo Lamas may still be fighting on this card, but if he is pulled he'll be paid his show money (which will be $10,000). What I don't understand is why he wasn't given the title shot against Jose Aldo instead of Zombie? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Zombie, but I think Lamas was the more deserving fighter in this case. Jung will have been out of action for 15 months by the time he steps up to face Aldo, whilst Lamas is on a four fight win streak, and has stopped two fighters who were offered shots against Aldo in Swanson and Koch.Dana's answer to the question of why Jung was chosen was simply "Why not?, You have two guys who both could've gotten this fight and Ricardo, unfortunately, I know is bummed out."Poor Lamas has already been shafted to a degree when he was passed over for the original bout with Aldo, wasn't he? He was cageside when Aldo beat Edgar, only to find out that Pettis had texted Dana asking for the fight, meaning he got bumped back, and now the same thing has happened again.I have no doubt that Zombie will give it a go, but I certainly don't see him even coming close to beating Aldo. Another fight to add to the recent list of guys getting shots they don't really deserve, and us being given PPV headliners that aren't as competitive as main event title fights should be.

• Paid Members

Pettis is now on about challenging Ben Henderson at UFC 164. I'm a big fan of Pettis, he's probably my favourite lighter weightclass fighter in the UFC, but it's not really on if he now swoops in and cockblocks TJ Grant from getting his shot is it? I mean, after Pettis dismantled Cerrone with his Matrix moves I was all for Pettis vs Bendo 2, and I'd still absolutely love to see that rematch, but to me Pettis had the option to challenge Bendo and passed it over for a crack at Aldo. Now that's off the table you can't just go back and push back to the front of the line when others have earned a crack. It's shit how it's worked out for Pettis but I think Grant should keep his title shot for how he's fought. Pettis could fight the Aldo/Zombie winner on the new years PPV or something.

Pettis is now on about challenging Ben Henderson at UFC 164. I'm a big fan of Pettis, he's probably my favourite lighter weightclass fighter in the UFC, but it's not really on if he now swoops in and cockblocks TJ Grant from getting his shot is it? I mean, after Pettis dismantled Cerrone with his Matrix moves I was all for Pettis vs Bendo 2, and I'd still absolutely love to see that rematch, but to me Pettis had the option to challenge Bendo and passed it over for a crack at Aldo. Now that's off the table you can't just go back and push back to the front of the line when others have earned a crack. It's shit how it's worked out for Pettis but I think Grant should keep his title shot for how he's fought. Pettis could fight the Aldo/Zombie winner on the new years PPV or something.

With the way things have been going I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this is what actually happens. TJ Grant isn't a "name", so we'll see what happens.

• Paid Members

UFC 164 is in Milwaukee as well, Pettis' hometown, I wouldn't be surprised if they switched it up either if Pettis can get cleared in time. Like I said, I'd still love to see that rematch, and unlike recent cases with Diaz, Sonnen etc, Pettis is more than deserving. But it would suck for Grant.I'd rather they stick with Benson vs Grant and hopefully we can still get that Pettis vs Aldo fight late this year/early next. Benson vs Pettis 2 feels inevitable anyway, Aldo vs Pettis to me feels like if it doesn't happen soon it might not at all.

It's unclear whether Ricardo Lamas will still fight on this card with Zombie now busy elsewhere. But he's getting his show money even if he ends up not fighting, according to MMAJunkie.Any ideas who could step in to fight Lamas? Everyone seems to be booked, unless they feed him a lower ranked opponent. I guess Munoz vs Boetsch will get bumped to PPV if they can't find somebody.

My money would be on Darren Elkins if anyone, he's currently slated to fight Hioki at UFC on FS 1:2. It's very difficult when Olivera, Edgar, Swanson and Siver are already on the card! You have to question the wisdom of putting six of your top ten guys on the same card, given these injuries happen all the time.

Nik Lentz would be another nice choice, he's not booked at the moment as far as I know and is 3-0 at FW.I'm all for Pettis getting the shot in Milwaukee. It would suck for Grant, but Pettis has been shafted way too much already as far as title shots go. He wanted to stay in the fight with Aldo, it being only a slight tear, so I think it'd be worth his while to maybe risk injury a bit to get the early shot. He could always spend extra time recovering at home with that title belt on his shoulder, it's worked for Cruz. He should seize any opportunity he can here.

• Paid Members

I'm all for Pettis getting the shot in Milwaukee. It would suck for Grant, but Pettis has been shafted way too much already as far as title shots go.

Good point actually. I'm seeing a lot of sympathy for Ricardo Lamas over this, which is understandable, but people forget Pettis has gone through this already himself. He was supposed to come straight into the UFC and do a champion vs champion fight against the winner of Edgar vs Maynard 2. He got fucked because that ended in a draw and then despite being promised the title shot anyway, Dana changed his mind and went with Frankie-Gray 3. I'm still hoping Grant gets his shot, but if Pettis got it it wouldn't be undeserving either. Anyone comparing that to Diaz or Sonnen's recent title shots is off the mark, Pettis has earned his title shot at 155. But from what Dana was saying, Pettis is claiming he'll be ready to go by the Milwaukee card, but Dana didn't sound convinced. The knee injury isn't serious but if he's trying to rush it to get on 164, that's a recipe for worsening the injury. Bit worrying.

• Paid Members

hmmm, with it being in Pettis hometown it all seems a little too perfect doesn't it? there's conspiracy theories about that the UFC are doing this to set up Henderson/Pettis fearing a poor buy rate from Henderson/Grant, i'd like to think that isn't the case.

• Paid Members

hmmm, with it being in Pettis hometown it all seems a little too perfect doesn't it? there's conspiracy theories about that the UFC are doing this to set up Henderson/Pettis fearing a poor buy rate from Henderson/Grant, i'd like to think that isn't the case.

The interesting thing is, why would the UFC be insisting he visits their Doctor in Vegas? If they had no intention of replacing Grant they certainly wouldn't be doing this. Hence if Pettis gets the all clear from their Doctor then I think we will see Henderson/Pettis with Grant getting the winner.Let's be honest, outside of that dream fight, this is what should have been happening to begin with. Pettis moving down was just too short sighted for my liking. Say Pettis wins then what? Drop the belt and move back to lightweight? I also heard if Aldo won he was guaranteed a shot at the lightweight title? Bizarre.Anyway, back to 162. Now forget who you think will win, who do you WANT to win in the main event?Personally I'm undecided. With Anderson being the GOAT do I want to see his run continue to line up a potential super fight after this? Well, to be honest, he will get destroyed by Jones so the only one that possibly should happen is the GSP fight. As already mentioned, even then there's a big size difference but at least the fight may be competitive (IMO of course). Then the other way, Weidman wins. If this happens it will send shockwaves throughout the UFC and may provide the shake up in the landscape it's needed for a while.

Archived