5 Day Pro-Wrestling Training Camp | 21st October - 25th October

4FWpromoter

Well thats partly the answer why the UK guys arent taking this offer. They would rather go to the states or japan to train and the foreign guys want to come here.

You can't just goto Japan and train at any sort of significant level and to be honest outside of a few schools in the US, their training isn't much more advanced than the rest of the world, hence WWE making their own developmental and training facilites. If there was a goto school (like the Wild Samoan's camp for example) that was more likely to get you to WWE then it would be inundated with applications and students, wouldn't everybody just go there?

There are numerous genuine reasons why people from the rest of the world would want to do this more than UK workers or trainees would. The way your post read was that you were getting arsey about the fact that guys from the UK don't want to take the seminar you are providing for them in the UK.

Wasn't getting arsey, just find it strange is all, it doesn't bother me in the slightest where people come from, just thought people in this Country would jump at the opportunity when putting it together.

There probably is, but let's be honest there is very few places in the world when you can learn from two of Japan's best and for a whole week without costing the earth.

True, plus Doug was recently a coach at the OVW school, which will add another dimension to his sessions that he will be running.

Well thats partly the answer why the UK guys arent taking this offer. They would rather go to the states or japan to train and the foreign guys want to come here.

You can't just goto Japan and train at any sort of significant level and to be honest outside of a few schools in the US, their training isn't much more advanced than the rest of the world, hence WWE making their own developmental and training facilites. If there was a goto school (like the Wild Samoan's camp for example) that was more likely to get you to WWE then it would be inundated with applications and students, wouldn't everybody just go there?

If it didn't cost thousands to finance such training then I dare say they would.

I don't find it strange at all. Trainees and wrestlers in the UK are of a young age and might not have access to the disposable income required to pay for a camp like that.

Also for me the camp seems driven towards a young wrestler who may have apsirations to go and wrestle in Japan. Which not everyone wants to do. There are more valuable places in other areas of the world to learn the WWE style of wrestling. If I was a wrestler and If I wanted to go and work for WWE I don't know what Dick Togo could advise me to make strengthen my chances. Same could be said for Doug Williams who has never been there, and Ultimo Dragon who essentially flopped there. Which of those 3 is going to teach the guys about character development, the art of the promo, wrestling for tv cameras?

In all seriousness I wouoldn't quote Dick Togo and Doug Williams having performed at the "highest level". Sure they have a wealth of experience between them. Doug takes regular seminars in most areas of the country so if someone wants to learn from him they can do so nearer their own home at much less cost. Doug is also now on hand for instant advice and feedback on shows in the UK 3 times a week.

There are numerous genuine reasons why people from the rest of the world would want to do this more than UK workers or trainees would. The way your post read was that you were getting arsey about the fact that guys from the UK don't want to take the seminar you are providing for them in the UK.

Dick Togo is arguably the most worldly, versatile wrestler in history. Either him or Liger. He's wrestled for WWF, New Japan and M-Pro at it's peak. That's a pretty high level. Plus a ton of lucha experience. If you want to learn how to be a complete wrestler from an in-ring point of view, there would be no better teacher than him. When you say "WWE style of wrestling" do you mean the style of wrestling deployed by the likes of Daniel Bryan, Antonio Cesaro and CM Punk? All of whom would consider Dick Togo one of their favourite wrestlers and someone they learned from.

I wouldn't use those 3 guys as the guys who define WWE wrestling no. They were 3 completely different performers before they were tweaked to suit the WWE model. WWE is probably less about physical wrestling and more about character portrayal, promos, the ability to tell stories through your body language and facial expressions, and much more ring awareness

So while this camp is driven towards the physical side of wrestling and seems like a very dojo-esque enviroment, that's not what everyone aspires to be. Just providing a bit of feedback for the guy who is runningt he camp, as to why I personally, would not attend.

the ability to tell stories through your body language and facial expressions, and much more ring awareness

ok, now I must enquire. How much Dick Togo have you seen? Because the above quote indicates you aren't familiar with him at all. You seem to be grouping him into an overall stereotype that he really doesn't fit.

What about the other 3 things i mentioned in that sentence? Who's going to give me that knowledge at the camp?

they can all teach you working for a TV camera. They all worked on national TV in America and Japan.

Ultimo created some of the best characters I've ever seen when he was in charge of Toryumon. I'm sure he can espouse a thing or two about developing a character if someone wanted to enquire.

As for interviews, obviously learning interviews from people with a different native language would be a bit of a stretch. But I'm sure Doug could advise in that area. Honestly for a five day camp I don't think spending too much time practicing interviews would be advisable. Put that'd just be my personal feelings.

I wouldn't use those 3 guys as the guys who define WWE wrestling no. They were 3 completely different performers before they were tweaked to suit the WWE model. WWE is probably less about physical wrestling and more about character portrayal, promos, the ability to tell stories through your body language and facial expressions, and much more ring awareness

So while this camp is driven towards the physical side of wrestling and seems like a very dojo-esque enviroment, that's not what everyone aspires to be. Just providing a bit of feedback for the guy who is runningt he camp, as to why I personally, would not attend.

You do realise that to get to WWE they are not interested in a 'character', I can't think of a talent they've signed and kept their character, they do that work once you're signed, yes you have to have charisma but you can't teach charisma, unless you are a freak of nature, then physical wrestling is very important and it's ludicrous to think otherwise, if any of my students had that mindset they would be removed at the first opportunity, you can't build a house without the foundations.

This is a pretty crazy argument to be honest, maybe next time if I bring the entire WWE performace centre staff you might consider attending ;)

They're not interested in how long someone can bridge either I would imagine. If physical wrestling matters so much then why do they sign Football Players?

I understand the importance of physical wrestling the camp is great for that yes. A "complete package" I wouldn't say so. I made several points as to why people might not attend. Not just that. It's a fair price for people to take a full week off work etc and its a time of year where even lads who might go to uni etc will be studying. A foreign person would likely come as a vacation.

You said you were surpised at how few people from the UK took the offer and I merely pointed out several reasons why I personally wouldn't attend. Feedback if you will. If people want to argue with me then fine.

but no one asked for feedback, just made a statement saying it was weird, as in it's based in the UK but more people from Europe are attending, who's talking about bridges? I understand everyone is entitled to an opinion which is fine, but hopefully not to many with your outlook turn up to this camp because in my opinion it's a very negative outlook.

Archived