Bizarre Style Clash Matches

Forrest

Inspired by this brilliant "Only in WCW" thread on the DVDR forums that I recently found, discuss your favourite matches that seemed to have been booked purely by picking random people out of a hat. As the above mentioned thread suggests, WCW was king for this sort of thing with such gems as:

David Flair vs. El Dandy

Marty Jannetty vs. Vincent

Johnny B. Badd vs. Mustafa

Dean Malenko vs. David Sammartino

Ric Flair vs. Lizmark Jr.

Discuss your favourite double-take matches involving people you would never expect to see against each other.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Sasuke v Bob Backlund

Nice catch on the dive too :laugh:

I had that old tape, there was another one on it with one of the top guys from that battlarts promotion against Backlund also - I think it was Ishikawa but might've been the Ikeda fellow from NOAH who carried the massive sword . That obviously wasn't as weird a clash as the linked one, but it was notable for the spectacle of Bob staggering around completely wasted after having his face busted up. The Hammer turned up on it in a few clipped matches too.

Tenryu's old WAR promotion is ideal for this kind of thread. Most of the tags and 6 mans on those tapes were completely out there

• Paid Members

Chikara wins this with last year's King of Trios.

The Colony (Green Ant, Fire Ant & assailANT) vs. Sendai Girls (Meiko Satomura, Dash Chisako & Sendai Sachiko)

Say what you want about intergender matches - personally I'm not keen on simulated male on female violence - but this is one of the weirdest combinations you'll ever see. Three fierce Japanese lasses vs three skinny guys pretending to be ants.

The Swarm (combatANT, deviANT & Soldier Ant) vs. Manami Toyota, Mike Quackenbush & Jigsaw

Let's throw Manami Toyota in there with two lads and make them fight three more ants. That'll work.

The Faces Of Pain (Meng, The Warlord & The Barbarian) vs. Team ROH (The Young Bucks & Mike Bennett)

Three big 80s WWF hard blokes against Mike Bennett and The Young fucking Bucks. The wrong team won this. The wrong team then went on to beat the Sendai Girls in the next round too. God damn, I hate those Bucks.

It doesn't really fit the brief, but from the same weekend the novelty of Aldo Montoya, Tatanka & the 1-2-3 Kid vs Jerry Lynn, Too Cold Scorpio & Tommy Dreamer in 2012 cannot be overstated.

The Faces Of Pain (Meng, The Warlord & The Barbarian) vs. Team ROH (The Young Bucks & Mike Bennett)

Three big 80s WWF hard blokes against Mike Bennett and The Young fucking Bucks. The wrong team won this. The wrong team then went on to beat the Sendai Girls in the next round too. God damn, I hate those Bucks.

I was going to buy KOT last year, purely to watch the Faces of Pain annihilate some indy skidmarks, but then a knob on here posted massive spoilers about them losing and I didn't bother. Small part of me is glad I didn't waste the money, but another part of me kind of regrets not taking the leap.

But yeah, whoever it was that posted those spoilers, bravo on stopping me from buying an Indy PPV for the first (and to date only) time.

• Paid Members

To be fair, if you were fully intending to watch the IPPV unspoiled, more fool you for coming onto a wrestling forum in the interim in the first place.

I've had recorded wrestling ruined for me by tossers coming up to me face to face and shouting results before I could stop them, but never had a PPV/Raw on the Sky+ or an IPPV from the night before ruined by a forum/Twitter/Facebook. It doesn't take much effort.

• Paid Members

I'd love not to see this match that was added to that thread on DVDVR..

WWF @ Queens, NY - February 29, 1984

Pat Patterson defeated Steve Lombardi (lovers clash~!)

I imagine a lot of kinky holds and grabs would be in it.

New Japan have had their fair share of interesting match-ups too.

Just a few from 1991/2

Tag Team Match (21/7/91)

Masahiro Chono & Riki Choshu defeat Crusher Bam Bam Bigelow & TNT [aka Savio Vega]

Six Man Tag Team Match (21/7/91)

Masa Saito, Shinya Hashimoto & Tatsumi Fujinami defeat Big Van Vader & Mad Bull Busters (Mad Bull Rex & Mad Bull Spike) [aka ECW's Pitbulls] (9:09)

Tag Team Match (10/5/1992)

Brad Armstrong & Tony Halme [aka Ludvig Borga] defeat Masanobu Kurisu & Oz [aka Kevin Nash]

...and if you want to go back to the 80's when New Japan had a working relationship with the WWF.

Seiji Sakaguchi vs Tito Santana (3/5/1980)

Riki Choshu vs The Iron Shiek (4/4/1980)

Bob Backlund & Tatsumi Fujinami vs Dusty Rhodes & Stan Hansen (23/5/80)

Antonio Inoki, Tatsumi Fujinami & Tiger Mask vs Bob Orton, Les Thornton & S.D. Jones

Antonio Inoki, Tatsumi Fujinami & Hulk Hogan vs Ed Leslie, Sgt Slaughter & Chris Adams (28/8/1982)

• Paid Members

Any match involving the odd tag pair up of super crazy and hacksaw. First seen making up the numbers in a tag terrmoil but went on to fill tv time as a regular little set up.

The WAR promotion had a pretty random roster going from Japanese stars like Tenryu and Ashura Hara, to established American stars like Bob Backlund, Bam Bam Bigelow, Warlord and then you had up and coming guys like Rey Mysterio Jr, Jericho and Ultimo Dragon. Some pretty mismatched cards came out of the short lifespan, and some pretty random matches also too. But it was all good fun.

I'd love not to see this match that was added to that thread on DVDVR..

WWF @ Queens, NY - February 29, 1984

Pat Patterson defeated Steve Lombardi (lovers clash~!)

I imagine a lot of kinky holds and grabs would be in it.

I only just found out this morning from an old Cabana podcast with Jimmy Korderas that Brawler's married and has been for years. I always thought him and Patterson were an official item.

To be fair, if you were fully intending to watch the IPPV unspoiled, more fool you for coming onto a wrestling forum in the interim in the first place.

I've had recorded wrestling ruined for me by tossers coming up to me face to face and shouting results before I could stop them, but never had a PPV/Raw on the Sky+ or an IPPV from the night before ruined by a forum/Twitter/Facebook. It doesn't take much effort.

To be fair, it was a comment untagged in a thread which specifically said NO SPOILERS on it. I wasn't even bothered about the results, it was the fact that he revealed that the Faces of Pain hadn't splattered the Bucks that put me off.

Archived