The one that got away

Sexy Dad

• Moderators
That loss to Orlando Jordan on pay per view had me seething!

I should have been furious at it too, but I couldn't be because the crowd shit on OJ and gave Benoit a standing ovation despite him having lost the match.

I think that was around the time he was also getting mic time and delivering (unintentionally) hilarious promos.

• Paid Members

Scott Steiner

When the WWE signed him & he debuted I was ridiculously excited. He was my favourite thing in the final days of WCW & I couldn't wait to see him do his thing in the WWE. They fucked his run up so badly I was seething. It was widely publicised that he wasn't fit & his 'drop foot syndrome' was really bad during those few WWA shows. Why they didn't just feed him jobbers, get his finisher over & build up to a PPV match is beyond me. Nobody wants to see Big Poppa Pump as a patriot debating Iraq with Chris Nowinski. I want him threatening people in the front row, beasting on divas, saying his catchphrases & putting jobbers in a roid rage fuelled 'Steiner Recliner' until 4 refs have to drag him off them. The pop he got at MSG when he debuted was incredible only for them to fuck him over royally. The great run he had in the MEM in TNA showed he still had a lot to offer. Was he the last of the WCW big guns that could be buried?

Shelton Benjamin.

Every couple of years, he looked like he was about to be pushed. He'd do something nuts in a MITB match, he'd be holding the IC or US title, he'd have an amazing match with someone, and looked like WWE were finally going to push him to the stars... and then change their mind.

I was gutted when they released him. Now every so often, a rumour emerges that he's going to be resigned, he's competed in a dark match, and then nothing. And I still get a little bit excited every single time. it's like the internet is just toying with me.

• Moderators

Shelton Benjamin is the opposite. He got given loads of chances to get over, but proved himself to be fucking bland and shit which is why his pushes ground to a halt.

They really wanted it to work with him, it's obvious. He just sucks, unfortunately.

Just doing spectacularly athletic things is nowhere near enough. He wasn't even in the "good in-ring guy lacking personality" department, because although he had some good matches with good wrestlers, he couldn't really tell a story / didn't really get the whole psychology of wrestling.

• Paid Members
Shelton Benjamin.

Every couple of years, he looked like he was about to be pushed. He'd do something nuts in a MITB match, he'd be holding the IC or US title, he'd have an amazing match with someone, and looked like WWE were finally going to push him to the stars... and then change their mind.

I was gutted when they released him. Now every so often, a rumour emerges that he's going to be resigned, he's competed in a dark match, and then nothing. And I still get a little bit excited every single time. it's like the internet is just toying with me.

Did you know he is in Gloucester tonight and Swindon tomorrow for 4FW......?

• Paid Members

Quite a few of you have missed the point. It's not "who was squandered/misused during their tenure" - it's "who were you gutted/who left a gaping hole for you when they left?" Some of your stories are all about "they dropped the ball at this point" and say nothing about how you felt when that wrestler left.

I'm sure we have all had the experience of a wrestler leaving WWE (or another company if ya like) and feeling a little deflated and gloomy in regards to tuning back in....even if it is only for a week or two before being pulled back in by the newest big turn or appetizing main event match.

(snip)

So, when have you lot felt a little disenfranchised at the loss of a big name or perhaps a smaller under-utilised name?

Mike, given the version of BPP that had been portrayed on WWE TV, I doubt you gave two figs when he left, and I don't think anybody cared when RVD left, not even RVD, and can't imagine either would have cast any doubts as to your continuing to watch. And I'm going to need reminding when Regal left, as far as I can tell he's still there.

Loki has already said all I could about Benoit, and I felt completely the same when Hitman left the WWF. When I watched the Raw after Montreal and saw JR alluding to Bret being on the other channel, I was devastated. The idea of the WWF without Bret Hart, it felt a bit like waking up and being told my dad had walked on us or something. My first thought was "who the fuck am I going to cheer for now?" Hated Shawn Michaels, couldn't very well cheer for Steve Austin, he was Bret's mortal enemy, Undertaker never really inspired me to want him to win all that much on account of him being indestructible. I was lost. My second thought was "Owen and Bulldog are fucked now." I genuinely considered stopping watching the WWF altogether, I was already more of a fan of WCW anyway. But I kept with it because I wanted to see where they were going to go with Kane, I was starting to enjoy the delusional nonsense coming out of Rocky Maivia's mouth (his "non-title match" spiel prior to the Dude Love match still cracks me up) and though I hated Shawn (Bret's gay nemesis) a lot of the DX stuff was making me laugh.

Also as a kid, I was gutted when the Steiners left in 94. I could easily write a chunky paragraph as to why, but it didn't come close to making me not want to watch anymore, which I think is the level of devastation the topic is asking for.

Mike, given the version of BPP that had been portrayed on WWE TV, I doubt you gave two figs when he left, and I don't think anybody cared when RVD left, not even RVD, and can't imagine either would have cast any doubts as to your continuing to watch.

Hey now, just because you personally didn't like them/their performances, doesn't mean that others didn't. Steiner really grew on me in mid-2003 feuding with Test. Granted, it would have had nothing on his main event WCW run, but he was still picking up his game nicely. In early '03 coming off the HHH feud, for sure, couldn't wait to be shot of him, but later in the year he seemed to be finding his groove, only to disappear shortly after.

As for RVD, I know it's not cool to like him, but hell, I did. Even after the drug bust and dropping the WWE title, he had some pretty good Extreme Rules matches, most notably against Hardcore Holly. Even when he was unmotivated and phoning it in a bit, he still had a different look and style to the rest of the roster. Now most WWE guys run around in the same kind of tights, wrestling a pretty uniform style. Say what you want about his level of commitment, he still had a uniqueness about him that I dig. I'd love to see RVD back in the WWE, gut or not.

• Paid Members

And right on cue, you've missed the point as well. The posters in question were complaining about the treatment of/portrayal of the wrestlers, not the effect their departure had.

The newly named 'Christian Cage' went on to feature in longer, main event style matches over in TNA for a few years and may have felt professionally validated somewhat before returning to WWE and getting his chance to hold the World Championship and be part of a great feud with Randy Orton. However, as enjoyable as this was; Christian clearly had a few more miles on the clock than when he was last in a WWE ring. Christian may have not had the drawing power of a Triple H, Batista or John Cena in 2005 but extensive feuds with each of these names as well as rivalries with Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit and Shawn Michaels would have undoubtedly been a treat.

You know what, it's the opposite for me - I was gutted when he left TNA to go back to the WWE. For my tastes in wrestling and performers, I find Christian a very charismatic, entertaining performer. Even his biggest fan would admit, though, that he never had the size or presence to be a main eventer in the WWE, and these days when you're in the WWE and you're not a main eventer, you're just another samey, anodyne, wallpaper cunt with about 2 minutes of promo/backstage skit time each week.

I was disappointed when he left TNA because I knew he'd never really get the chance to shine again like he got when he was a big fish in a small pond. It'll be the same for me if/when Bobby Roode eventually goes to WWE.

And right on cue, you've missed the point as well. The posters in question were complaining about the treatment of/portrayal of the wrestlers, not the effect their departure had.

Not the point I was going for either, which is why I didn't quote that bit. You were assuming that people didn't care about their departure, when you can't speak for everybody. Despite how their runs went, I missed Steiner and RVD when they left.

• Paid Members
Not the point I was going for either, which is why I didn't quote that bit. You were assuming that people didn't care about their departure, when you can't speak for everybody.

Don't be so fucking wet. If Dead Mike or TheShowOff were devastated and seriously had second thoughts tuning in the week after Steiner or RVD left, they can make their own retort.

Archived