UFC 161: 'Henderson vs Evans'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Rashad's the man. It's weird because if you watch him fight, he's clearly very talented but he's never really been an exciting fighter. He's had some great moments like the Liddell KO, the Sean Salmon KO, the title win but never had that killer fight. The TUF final against Brad Imes might actually be his best fight from a pure excitement POV. The two fights everyone was chomping at the bit for, Rampage and Jones, were disappointing in the end.

He's just not very exciting in the cage, he's the anti-Wanderlei. And he taunts during fights. That goes against everything I usually like in a fighter yet for some reason, I really like Rashad. He comes across cool as fuck to me, I like his swagger, he takes all the hate in his stride, he's a good talker, he can be funny and he's very likable in my opinion.

I would like to see him have that one incredible career defining classic before he calls it a day though. Who knows, maybe Hendo could be the man for it.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

it's a strange one because both guys are coming off horrible fights, but its a big fight because you feel that the winner is the one who'll keep himself in the title hunt while the loser is gonna fall behind a pretty hefty pack. I'm with you wand. in that i don't see it being a very exciting fight but i'll sure tune in and find out.

• Paid Members

Freddie Roach speaks on Shogun and the upcoming fight with Nogueira;

The biggest thing is, he's fighting a rematch with a southpaw and he didn't really understand how to fight a southpaw so those adjustments were in place. In a very short time he's already got that...what I want him to do and when I want him to do it. So he's a fast learner, he has good people around him and just a real pleasure to work with.

Sounds like Shogun's really putting the work in with Roach. I can't wait for this fight.

I've voted Rashad by decision, Nog by decision (just got a feeling Nog will edge a close fight but really this fight's a tossup for me) and Nelson by KO in the poll.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Surprised it's taken this long to put on here as it broke last night, Lil Nog is out of 161 against Shogun and the UFC are seeking a replacement.

Our favourite gangser has chipped in with his say....

@ShogunRua I HEAR BRAZILIAN CHICKEN IS OFF THE MENU. AMERICAN GANGSTER IS STILL AVAILABLE IF YOU WANT TO SEND YOUR WAITRESS OVER.

• Paid Members
Lil Nog is out of 161 against Shogun

FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Four fucking years, ever since Nog signed with the UFC, I've been waiting for that fight. We get within a fortnight of it and that inury bug bitch strikes again.

Chael stepping in would be the best option, but it sucks for Shogun. He's been training for a boxer/BJJ guy so to get switched to a wrestler two weeks out would be shit for him.

• Paid Members

I was just thinking the UFC might try to re-book that Shogun vs Glover fight they wanted last year. But I've just read that Glover hurt his hand against Te Huna and could be facing a lengthy medical suspension.

Chael seems like the most logical choice. If there was more time I'd say offer the fight to Rich Franklin. That would be a similar style opponent for Shogun, southpaw/striker etc so not a big disruption to his training. But I can't see Franklin taking a fight like this on two weeks notice.

Another option could be Belfort maybe? He's always up for stepping in. He offered to fill in for Gusty against Mousasi in Sweden recently. Stepped in against Jones last year as well. Belfort vs Shogun would be awesome.

It will most likely be Shogun vs Chael though.

• Paid Members

this event looks like it's gonna be one of the unfortunate cards that end up looking nothing like they did when originally announced.

As for the fight, i wouldn't be at all surprised if they put Sonnen in there, apparently a replacement is being looked for and i aint hearing anyone else asking for it, plus with it being a co-main event slot the name value's gonna help him grab that slot.

• Paid Members
Belfort has more to protect though at this stage with his potential title shot status.

I hope for Shogun vs Chael, I am honestly not sure who I would pick.

True. Belfort would be smart to sit out and keep quiet until after 162. He could, and in my opinion, should be next in line at 185. He has too much to lose by jumping in on short notice again.

Shogun vs Chael is an intriguing match up style wise. Say what you want about Chael but he's got some balls on him. Shogun might not be what he was but he's still dangerous and there's not many who would be up for fighting him on two weeks notice.

• Paid Members

The report is actually from another report. Nothing official yet but if it happens I actually believe the card is better than the original card...name wise anyway...

For me Shogun should be classed as the favourite but everyone knows who I'm routing for here.

For me Shogun should be classed as the favourite but everyone knows who I'm routing for here.

I dunno, Shogun looked like a weathered fighter against Gusty.

Now, he has spiced things up with Roach so I doubt Chael should trade with Shogun, but Chael will be able to force his game and bully Shogun in a way that he would never be able to do with Jon Jones. Chael is much bigger and stronger than Shogun (who should be at 185lbs) if Chael comes out aggressive and starts scoring takedowns and ramming Shogun up against the cage, he may be able to grind out a points win on control alone provided he avoids Shogun's submission game.

It all depends on who is the octagon general, Chael has better form in controlling the fight than Shogun (he is a wrestler after all) and Shogun's work in the octagon may not be consistent enough to prevent Chael shutting Shogun down, for example a flurry for Shogun may last a few seconds, but Chael's takedowns and fence work may give him enough control and offense to score him rounds.

For now I will go with Chael, but if Shogun does not come out flat and looking 40 years old it could be a early nights work for him after a few striking exchanges. A very interesting fight if it happens.

I am on the fence with how I want to win, Chael is Chael and despite his recent losses he is a excellent character, and one of the best 185lbs of all time, whereas Shogun is a blood and guts warrior with a sexier fightng style than Chael with his aggressive striking and Chute Boxe influnced approach to fighting. I think I may just sit back and enjoy

Archived